Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega CDX Tracking Motor

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CDX Tracking Motor

I found this place in looking for into to fix up my Sega CD and Sega CDX here and was able to fix up the Sega CD.

But I still cant get my Sega CDX to work. It plays Genesis games fine and it even spins up Sega CD games and the laser does move up and down, but the laser doesn't move along the tray at all. I think that the tracking motor is dead or jammed somehow, but I can't find a replacement motor for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you using the offical power adapter for the CDX or just a Genesis 2 one that says MK-2103?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I am, but I don't have another one to use with it. Also with batteries in the system with an audio CD it spins up, but the laser dosen't move along its line at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're using the MK2103 adapter those have been reported to kill the laser with repeated usage over a long period of time due to the fact that it's under powering that part of the system. If that's the case, then most folks either recommend adjusting the potentiometer on the laser to boost output, or replacing the laser assembly with a new one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its just that on mine right now the laser still moves up and down and you can see from the laser. It just the motor that moves the laser along the track doesn't move the laser along it at all.

Also where would I find a replacement laser assembly as in the laser and its tracking and spindle motors all together as replacing that as well would work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

If you do not have the correct power adapter, STOP. Unplug and cease using that CDX immediately until you're able to find some replacement. Powering up the system wrong may further its problems.

Not only do CDX systems have the correct rating printed on them, the label on CDX's adapter states it is for CDX. Most people disregard these two blatant facts.
    Last edited by theclaw; 11-14-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know its not just the lack of proper power adapter because if I have in a music CD and AA batteries in it and it unplugged, it all does the same. Laser moves and glows, CD spins, but the laser doesn't move on its track at all. And with no CD adapter connected and batteries and a music CD, it should work fine. In fact all my testing now is with a music CD and AA batteries in it, no AC adapter connected at all.
    Would like to know if I can fix that before I have to find or go to the annoying Radio Shack to get a power adapter of 9.5V and 1.5 A with a + Center as don't want to spend $15-$20 on that unless I actually have it fixed.
    Last edited by RedMoogleXIII; 11-15-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to be sure, you have verified a dead motor by manually repositioning the laser at the outside of the track and verifying that the CDX is unable to move the laser to the inside?

With the CDX disassembled, this is easy to do as there is a tab molded into the white rack gear attached to the laser. Pushing the tab away from the laser will release the rack from the sled drive gear, allowing you to reposition the laser without forcing it along the track.

The entire laser mechanism is pretty easy to disassemble, once you're all the way into the CDX anyway. I don't know that I'd buy a new one until I had torn the old one apart and actually verified that it wasn't a physical problem, like something stuck in the gears or a broken wire.

I am in the process of finding CDX lasers that actually work and don't cost a fortune. I've been through two different suppliers so far with no luck. Basically what I'm saying is I'd be very sure that your existing mechanism is actually dead before spending money on new, possibly dubiously made parts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FABombjoy, that is exactly the problem. The motor that moves the laser doesn't move at all like it is dead or jammed internally. If I remove the motor and spin the gears manually, it moves the laser along the tray like is should. If anything i could even get by with a replacement motor for that one and could probably fix up my CDX then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gotcha, I couldn't tell how far you'd gotten into testing.

Those little motors usually have a label or casting stamp that should help find a replacement. If you can't find any, I'll check my CDX and see if it's labeled.

Ok, last dumb question: have you verified that there is voltage present at the motor, and/or checked the resistance across it's plug? I doubt that the LB8108M actuator driver is blown but you never know.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Motor is getting voltage and current does go though the motor. There is some resistance though the motor, but current still goes though it. Also the sticker on its side says "HXN3A3RDYT" and has "15 Jan4S1" under that. There is also a slight stylized "M" in a square before the "HXN3A3RDYT"

Last edited by RedMoogleXIII; 11-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I meant measuring resistance between the red/black wires on the motor, just as a companion to a voltage measurement to determine if the motor's coils have gone open.

I wonder if that M is Mabuchi. Obviously that exact part number turns up nothing. I suppose you'll either have to do some research and see if you can find the OEM, or take some measurements and try ordering a few test motors.

If we assume that one of those 3's is 3V, and the other is 3000 RPM, perhaps something on this page would work:

http://store.kysanelectronics.com/se...ors/Categories

I'm looking at either RF-300CA-11400-6.0 or maybe RF-300CA-11400-6.0C

That is assuming that the body & motor shaft sizes are the same. Time to bust out the calipers!
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 11-27-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a lot of assumptions with that motor and unfortunally no way to know if they are right unless one of those does fit and work. Not up to taking apart my Sega CDX again to measure the motor currently.

Thanks for all the help.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got som Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray and sprayed that Tracking motor and now its moving. before you could hear it try to move, but it didn't, but now it seems the spindle motor to it is not receiving power. connected directly to 2 AAs in a battery back it spins like it should, but connected to the MB it dosent move at all and dosent seem to receive enough voltage to spin.

Ahh CDX, fix one thing and another thing goes wrong...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make sure you didn't swap the the spindle connector and the inner detect switch, they use the same type plug, the spindle motor should connect to CN502 and the switch should connect to CN507.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah thanks that wasn't it though unfortunally. though it is defentally to easy to get those two connectors mixed up

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm back with my perpertually broken Sega CDX.
    I got both motors to move now, just the clicking so its seems like the switch that detects when the CD Lens Assembly is all the way in is not working now.

What would be the easiest way to test that, though it also could be that its polarity is mixed up as when i was trying to remove the connectors, i pulled the wires out of it my accident have them back in now and stripped back the wire so it would make contact with the metal (and used a little bit of solder to help)

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedMoogleXIII View Post
    I'm back with my perpertually broken Sega CDX.
    I got both motors to move now, just the clicking so its seems like the switch that detects when the CD Lens Assembly is all the way in is not working now.
    When you say clicking is it clicking from the start when the laser moves to the inside or is it after it spins up the CD?

The reason I ask is I just got another CDX (the old one I had has a dead CD mother board) and the problem with this one was the laser and both motors where dead. So I went to salvaging parts from the other CDX one at a time. I got up to the point where the laser was moving to the inside, picking up that there was a disc, and spinning up the disc but when it would get to the point of reading the disk all I got was a clicking after a few seconds it would stop clicking and stop spinning the disc. That was at about 1AM I have to get up at 6AM for work so I didn’t get to do too much testing after that.

The easiest way I can think to test the switch is to move the laser to the outside remove the spindle motor that will give you access to the switch (you might need something to push it in) power up the CDX push the lid close switch the laser will start to move push the switch in the laser assembly if the laser stops it works.

But if yours is spinning up the CD the switch works as the switch is how the laser knows where to look to see if there’s a disc inserted.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know why but this didn't get bumped when I replied earlier so I'm doing it now.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Insert Coin (Level 0) mylifewithsega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JM587683

Hey, I'm A.J. Good to meet you all. This thread actually brought me here. One of my subscribers is having an issue with the Sega CDX where the motor spins the opposite direction before it rights yourself. Even then, it's hit or miss when it comes to actually reading the disc. Could that be tied to a power supply issue, like using the wrong AC adapter?