Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about Pac-Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Teach me about Pac-Man

When I was a kid, I had Pac-Man for NES. It was one of the few games I could get my aunt to actually sit and play with me. Now that I'm older and I have access to any system I want, I was curious about which of the older systems had the best, or rather, most faithful version of the game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the 7800 or Colecovision Pac Man Collection homebrews are the most faithful ports of the arcade game. including ms pac, pac plus, and the speed cheats.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Not Atari 2600

Joking aside, is there a reason, other than love of vintage stuff, that you're limiting this to 8-bit? I would guess that some of the later versions (usually as some sort of compilation) would stand a better chance of being arcade faithful than something designed around the limitations of home systems three decades ago. And don't forget about MAME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

VCS version is not that bad.
    I liked it a lot, but I never played arcades, so I wasn't aware of it being an arcade game. For me it was a great VCS game, played it for hours.

Of course, A8 version is up there with being the best version, and Namco on PSX.
    Last edited by tom; 11-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have a tendancy to put limitations on requests like this, more to narrow the scope, but I guess the question can be extended to any version really. What is the "best" version of pac-man, 1) regarding arcade faithfulness, 2) just all around fun version?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The "funnest" version is Ms. Pacman Tengen version on NES. It has Strange mazes and you can play two player co-op (at the same time)! Not sure if you wanted just Pacman, but Ms.Pacman is part of the family and you will not find a funner version. Pacmania is also a really fun game on the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I recommend Tengen Ms. Pacman for NES. In fact, it placed 84th in my top 100 NES/Famicom games list. http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...es-list-89-80/
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All versions welcome. I actually don't know much about Pac-Man to be honest. I'd played it in the arcades, and lately that dual Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga machine is pretty much the only game I'll play if I find games at all in places.

So let's have it, let's hear your opinions on the Pac-Man family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    So let's have it, let's hear your opinions on the Pac-Man family.
    Ms. Pac-Man is superior to Pac-Man. This view is nearly universal so I think it could be considered fact rather than opinion. The mazes change their layout and color, and the fruit moves. Bam. Winner.

The newer Pac-Man Championship Editions rock too. It is a crying shame this game never found its way to the Wii. What a crappy consolation that exclusive Pac-Man Party game was for Wii owners...

What I recommend that you buy is the Jakks Ms. Pac-Man Plug n' Play. In addition to Ms. Pac-Man, it also comes with Pole Position, Mappy Land, Galaga, Xevious, and some version include a cartridge that has Dig Dug and Rally-X on it. They use to go for like $20 at stores. There is a Pac-Man version too, that includes a bunch of different versions of Pac-Man (Pac-Man Plus, Super Pac-Man, Pac & Pal, and the original). The joystick's controls aren't as fluid as the Ms. Pac-Man version, unfortunately.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

As a big fan of Ms. Pac-Man, I must say that no version stands up to an actual arcade cabinet with speed chip. All home ports save for the Genesis one play slow as molasses and make me feel like I'm on cough syrup.

If you really want to play a derivative of Pac-Man at home, go with the Genesis version where you can adjust the speeds. The only problem with this version is that unlike the arcades, the ghosts will travel as fast as you do, making it still different from the arcade classic.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

As far as the Pac-Family of games is concerned Super Pac-Man is my #1 favorite.

It's not nearly as punishing as traditional Pac-Man games and once you get the hang of it/get in a groove a typical game can go for quite a while.

Hard to find on home consoles of the 8 and 16 bit era (appeared on some 8-bit computers) but starting with the 32 bit generation you can find it on many of the Namco released collections.

It's also pretty faithfully represented on a few of the Namco/Jakks Pacific Plug&Play TV Games.

If you've never played it, and you're educating yourself on Pac-Games give it a go!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    As far as the Pac-Family of games is concerned Super Pac-Man is my #1 favorite.

It's not nearly as punishing as traditional Pac-Man games and once you get the hang of it/get in a groove a typical game can go for quite a while.
    Back in 1996 I saw an ad for a pacman arcade machine. We drove 1.5 hours to see it after work one night. When we got there, we were happy to see it was a cocktail table, but when they plugged it in, Super Pacman started up. I had never played Super Pacman, and really didnt see the appeal in the five minutes that I tested it out. My Girlfriend(my wife now) and I were going in half's, but we couldn't decide if Super Pacman was worth the $200 we scrapped together. Back then, $200 was an almost impossible amount of money. After a long debate, we decided to go home empty handed would stink and we bought it.

We loaded it into my '79 Datsun 210. It fit like a glove. We got home and after a few plays, we figured out the in & outs of the game and we both fell in love with it. We played the game more than I would like to admit to a non-gamer. I believe my high score was around 300,000 or so. We still have that arcade. It was our first and it has never had a problem. It has moved with us from house to house, state to state. It still looks great and besides slight burn-in, plays like new.

So yeah, I think Super Pacman is under-rated. Give it some time and the game will get it's hooks in ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    When I was a kid, I had Pac-Man for NES. It was one of the few games I could get my aunt to actually sit and play with me. Now that I'm older and I have access to any system I want, I was curious about which of the older systems had the best, or rather, most faithful version of the game?
    If you talk about "older" systems, that can go back as new as the N64 and the PS2. But I'm assuming you mean 8-bit. So there for, the NES and the Colecovision (atari) ports are the most faithful IMO.
    My Arcade Collection - http://www.ggdb.com/Collectors/ViewMember.aspx?mid=394
    Southern California Classic Collectors (SC3) - http://www.sc3videogames.com/
    3DS: 5370-0932-2395
    Wii U: SysOp Miiverse: The_MCP
    PSN: shertz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I think limiting to 8 bit makes sense because Namco Museum. I think my favorite is Ms. Pac Man for Genesis/Megadrive, though.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures. SNES version includes arcade-perfect ports of both Pacman and Ms. Pac-Man (Genesis version replaces the latter with Pac-Man Jr).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    As a big fan of Ms. Pac-Man, I must say that no version stands up to an actual arcade cabinet with speed chip. All home ports save for the Genesis one play slow as molasses and make me feel like I'm on cough syrup.
    The SuperNes release is just like the Genesis release. And I believe the NES and perhaps even the SMS version are more or less the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures. SNES version includes arcade-perfect ports of both Pacman and Ms. Pac-Man (Genesis version replaces the latter with Pac-Man Jr).
    Try using a arcade pattern on Pac-Man. It won't work.

The only arcade perfect version has been on Namco Museum 50th Anniversary for last generation consoles. Unlike every other release that has been done from scratch, it relied on emulation. Everything works as it should, including patterns developed 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-03-2011 at 01:03 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Admittedly I'm no Pac-Man expert, so I don't know what this is about "patterns."

I just know it as "that game you kill a few minutes with."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

People have been developing patterns to clear the mazes in Pac-Man almost since day 1. They're just what they sound like they are, a predetermined route through the maze that will keep you safe from the ghosts (And sometimes, they've even advanced enough to allow you to kill all 4 ghost, 4 times a round on the rounds where it's possible). Check out almost any strategy book on videogames from back in the day (Of which the DP library has several of) and they're full of such things.

And except in the case of Namco Museum 50th Anniversary, they've never worked at home since they've always just been recreations of the arcade game done from scratch and don't 100% mimic things like the behavior of the ghost in the actual arcade game.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't know too much about Pac-Man, I'd advise you to go with Pac-Man Championship Edition DX for the PS3 or 360. Even though it isn't the original, it recreates that feeling of playing Pac-Man for the first time in a dark arcade more than any other version has for me.

It isn't the original version, but it's incredibly fun. Like others have said, no home release has been a perfect translation from the arcade. Pac Man Championship Edition DX is an original, but is one of the closest things I've seen to gameplay perfection.

Unless you have room for a cabinet or cocktail, this is the one to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you get a chance, try Pac-Man vs. on the GameCube.