Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations on an s-video cable for SNES/N64/GC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any recommendations on an s-video cable for SNES/N64/GC?

My S-video hookup for these systems gives me an ugly mesh pattern over the picture. Same problem on SNES, N64, and Gamecube, with the same cable. I'm pretty sure it's the cable because the systems are fine in composite and my Saturn looks fine through s-video on the same TV. Also with some fiddling I noticed that black & white images aren't affected. So I guess it's a problem with the chroma wiring in the cable. This isn't my first Nintendo s-video cable, either.

So just get a first-party Gamecube s-video cable, right? Trouble is, such a thing is not on Nintendo's online store, or even listed (regardless of availability) on Amazon or Gamestop. Plenty of random third-party ones out there, of course. I know I'm only out a few bucks if I buy one and it doesn't work out, but I'd really like to just get one that I know works properly and be done with it.

Why am I having such a hard time with s-video on Nintendo systems? And can anybody point me to a surefire s-video hookup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The solution is the first party GameCube cable, as you mention. I was able to order from Nintendo 3 years ago, thankfully. I guess your best bet now is ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I haven't tested every third-party SNES/N64/GC S-video cable out there, go with the first party cables if you can fine 'em. Last I looked they were harder to find than the GC component cables.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

j_factor, out of curiosity, which brands of s-video cable have you been trying? I've started thinking about an s-video hookup, and I'd like to know what to avoid.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's a shame that it's so hard to find now. I feel lucky that I bought one when they were still sold online by Nintendo. Now I wish I had bought a spare just in case. Good luck in your search for one.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've got a first party one I bought from Babbages during the SNES days, and I've never noticed a bit of difference between that and any of the various third party (multisystem) cables I've since acquired over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

I picked up a used set of s-video Monster (yeah, I know) cables that I use with my SNES. Very sharp image, looks hoss on my 40". They're also like 10 feet long! Best thing is they were listed as generic third party cables, so they only ran me 1.99 plus tax at your local GeStapo. I also have a set for my PSOne, same place, same price.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    j_factor, out of curiosity, which brands of s-video cable have you been trying? I've started thinking about an s-video hookup, and I'd like to know what to avoid.
    This current one, I don't know the brand of. It was sold to me as a generic cable, and doesn't say anything on it. Same thing with my previous one (though the two are not the same, as they look a little different). But my first one was a Mad Catz.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It's a shame that it's so hard to find now. I feel lucky that I bought one when they were still sold online by Nintendo. Now I wish I had bought a spare just in case. Good luck in your search for one.
    Well, I also wish I'd bought a Gamecube component cable from them when I could have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Perhaps Nintendo only sold a SNES s-video cable in stores for Japan, like the Gamecube component cable? We know its Japanese box looks like this:

But I've never seen a US or Europe SNES box, or an N64 or Gamecube branded box from any region. (even Japan...)
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a boxed 1st party SNES S-video cable. I use it for the SNES and N64. If I remember later I'll take a pic and post it.

Mitch

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Most generic Gamecube / SNES S-Video cables suck. They add a ton of interference for some reason.

The best ones are the official Nintendo ones (hard as hell to find on eBay, most people will sell cheapy generic Chinese ones) or the Monster branded ones (usually overpriced, but the quality's perfect.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's two people saying the Monster ones are good. No luck with first-party, so I just bought a Monster cable off eBay. I noticed it does not have a yellow composite plug on it, which is probably a good sign. All three of my Nintendo s-video cables did, while my s-video hookups for other systems (Saturn, PSX, DC, PS2, Xbox) never have.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Perhaps Nintendo only sold a SNES s-video cable in stores for Japan, like the Gamecube component cable? We know its Japanese box looks like this:

But I've never seen a US or Europe SNES box, or an N64 or Gamecube branded box from any region. (even Japan...)

As I said a few posts before yours, I bought one at a Babbages (later merged into GameStop). Not sure if I still have the box somewhere or not, but it was fairly typical of Nintendo's american SNES stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one I have has a purple AV connector and no composite.
    It works great and has no noticeable interference.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jwmollman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually bought a third-party S-Video cable for my SNES not too long ago from Amazon. It's this one, and it's extremely cheap, but it's built very sturdy and does the job. I've noticed a tremendous difference in video quality.

Here's a picture of mine. That picture makes the connections look rusty, but they're not at all. They're very clean and in shiny condition.

It says it's for the GameCube and Nintendo 64, but I figured since they all have the same Multi Out AV connection, it should work with the SNES, and it does. The colors are very vibrant with no color-bleeding as they were with the composite connection. Text is very sharp, too. The cable also comes with a composite video connection to fall back on if you're on a TV that doesn't have S-Video. That's pretty handy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a pic of my SNES S-Video cable and package.

Mitch

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a 3rd-party one that has connectors for SNES/N64/Gamecube, PS1/PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360. It looks great, with no distortion, but the pins on the s-video cable are sort of flimsy. I use it on my N64 and PSX.
    Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The one I have has a purple AV connector and no composite.
    It works great and has no noticeable interference.
    Purple AV connector?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up 3 different third party SNES s-video/AV cables in a lot of assorted gaming hook-ups on eBay some months back and all but one of them gave a bunk, interference-riddled picture. The single success of an s-video cable features a multi-out connector of semi-transparent plastic, although that's not much to go on. While there's no branding on the two shitty cables (which are practically identical, aside from slightly different colouring inside the s-video connector), I'm fairly certain these are from Pelican after having poked around for comparison photos. As if their being an s-video/AV combo cable wasn't warning enough, should anyone find a set of these, avoid them:

Anyone had experience with the Innovation s-video cables? Reviews on Amazon paint them to be legitimate, although the build quality is said to be on the low side. http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-S-Vid...9781203&sr=8-1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So just an update, I got the Monster cables, which are in fact purple. Works great -- no meshing, and a definite improvement over composite. Now if only N64 and Gamecube supported RGB.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    I picked up 3 different third party SNES s-video/AV cables in a lot of assorted gaming hook-ups on eBay some months back and all but one of them gave a bunk, interference-riddled picture. The single success of an s-video cable features a multi-out connector of semi-transparent plastic, although that's not much to go on. While there's no branding on the two shitty cables (which are practically identical, aside from slightly different colouring inside the s-video connector), I'm fairly certain these are from Pelican after having poked around for comparison photos. As if their being an s-video/AV combo cable wasn't warning enough, should anyone find a set of these, avoid them:

Anyone had experience with the Innovation s-video cables? Reviews on Amazon paint them to be legitimate, although the build quality is said to be on the low side. http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-S-Vid...9781203&sr=8-1
    Those were also sold at Gamestop, as Gamestop-branded cables. I bought those. Then I threw them out.

Then I saved up money to buy the Monster ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic