Thread: ''Improved ports'' Ports of ps1 games on the psp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    Wow, thanks for the thorough and in-depth explanation
    Ignore it.

In fact, the level-scaling is the only frustrating thing about the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre. Newly recruited classes start at level 1, which means you'll have to drag them into battle and stick them at the back so they can gain levels from the shared experience. This is irksome, but it does not break the game by any measure.

Everything about the PSP version of Tactics Ogre improves on the original, which is an annoying mess by comparison. The PSX, Saturn, and Super Famicom versions of Tactics Ogre all date back to 1995, and they're full of archaic and tedious concepts. You're forced to fight boring mock battles to bring lower-level characters up to speed, characters do little to no damage against enemies unless they're at the same level or higher, experience is awarded largely to characters who land killing blows, and area-effect spell animations play EVEN WHEN THERE'S NO ENEMY THERE. Also, you can't resurrect fallen allies, you can't backtrack in movement, and you can't do a lot of other helpful things that you can do in more recent RPGs. Oh, and the PSX version has terrible loading times and a mediocre translation. It has some great moments, but so much of the game is a chore.

The PSP version fixes all of this. The battles flow much better, you can build up your levels without grinding, the skill system (similar to Final Fantasy Tactics) is excellent, and the dialogue actually makes sense.

Also:
    -Archers aren't overpowered
    -Magic users are rather useful, as they have numerous effect spells that warrior classes never get.
    -Kupomogli is known for complaining about "flaws" that are either irrelevant or entirely made-up

I normally don't make serious posts here because these forums just aren't worth it anymore, but I hate to think that someone would play the sluggish, outdated original Tactics Ogre over the massively improved PSP version.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Medievil was also on PSP. Just saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVE ps1 ports on the psp, provided they look the same or better. its so awesome to play my favorite games anywhere i go.

of course im not one of those people who hate handhelds, i actually prefer them a bit more than gaming on my tv. i dont get people who deprive themselves of great games because its on the psp. i seem to hear "id get -insert game here- but its on the psp, so..." idiots, its their loss tho. some people still think playing on a handheld is like playing on a old school game boy, that its a diluted experience. it is absolutely not!

i just wish some saturn games were transferred over, magic knight rayearth, keio 2, and more would be HEAVEN.
    Last edited by dairugger; 11-07-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Noones depriving themselves people would just rather play it on a big screen tv rather than a tiny psp screen hows that idiotic?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    You're forced to fight boring mock battles to bring lower-level characters up to speed, characters do little to no damage against enemies unless they're at the same level or higher, experience is awarded largely to characters who land killing blows, and area-effect spell animations play EVEN WHEN THERE'S NO ENEMY THERE. Also, you can't resurrect fallen allies, you can't backtrack in movement, and you can't do a lot of other helpful things that you can do in more recent RPGs.
    Sounds like someone complaining that they suck at the game to me, but whatever. If you like far easier games. You can also be one level under and at most, two levels under on Tactics Ogre and still survive no problem. Vary your party and it makes the game quite a bit easier, like getting a witch as soon as possible really helps. Also let's say you just reach a story part on the PSP version where enemies are using a weapon such as the cutlass one handed sword but you're only using a balder sword. Damage is increased through one weapon rank in this game is almost as much as a level on the original.

Training on the original is also much easier and can be done very quickly. If you happen to have a character who is higher level, meaning you don't vary your kills, although some you'd like to purposefully get someone a higher level, then put that character with everyone else on one side with no armor or shield, put the single character on the other side. A very quick training battle against yourselves will level your characters equally. It won't take nearly as long having a completely useless character tagging along with you taking one of your spaces when you only have say six available for the longest time anyways.

Oh, and the PSX version has terrible loading times and a mediocre translation. It has some great moments, but so much of the game is a chore.
    Long load times on a Tactical RPG? The battles are obviously as short as those in any standard RPG so five seconds between a 5-30 minute battle is so horrible. I must play the worse version because I just can't stand these awful load times.

The PSP version fixes all of this.
    Yes, short load times. Storyline is great though, especially the additional parts. I dislike Square Enix's localization though. Vice to Vyce, Kachua to Catiua, Mildain to Mirdyn, etc. Most of the time it's the exact same name but Square Enix is well known to enjoy adding flair to the game to make the localization sound unique yet instead it, normally, sounds like shit. A lot of times it sounds like they change the name just to have it different from the previous iteration, this includes all the changes on Tactics Ogre. Those I've already previously listed, Lancelot to Lanselot(although this one makes sense,) Denim to Denam, Gargastan to Galgastani, and Rime to Rhime are just a few examples.

you can build up your levels without grinding
    Just bring a level one character with you during story battles and waste a slot you could use. What happens when you do this? The battle takes much longer because you don't have an extra character to help you and you to take the extra time to move the low level character out of harms way or even save him/her from dying at points. There's also the some story battles you might need that extra character, like taking Amorika Castle back from the Gargastan. Unless of course you want to just kill off the leader, then it's less difficult.

-Magic users are rather useful, as they have numerous effect spells that warrior classes never get.
    Obviously. I mean there is Dragon Magic.

Aside from that, whenever you're trying to find out what the spell does, instead of giving the spell name only and a description, there is a long sentence describing just the spell name, and then you have to wait for it to scroll over and give you the description. It's like damn. Took long enough to find out just what the spell does. Also why does almost each and every spell name have to sound like ass. Boon of Swiftness? Quick would have worked fine. Then again, I'm only early chapter four rather than end game, but still, when you have to get to end game chapter four for the magic user classes to become remotely good then yeah.

Another thing. In the original Tactics Ogre, once you got to chapter three a lot of enemies, and in some battles sometimes all, would be carrying a rare item. In the PSP version all the way up to chapter four and I've yet to see any of that, infact, any weapons that I've seen on a character in one battle, the weapon is in the shop once the battle is completed. I just pulled up a guide on the PSP version and looked through the one handed swords, only to see any rare weapons aren't going to be found until Hell's Gate and the end game battles.

So sure. The PSP version might turn into an amazing game once you finish the game, max out all characters levels, and then replay through the game using the world card without having to baby your level one characters to a decent level and then you can finally use them. How many classes do you have to do this to? A shit ton. No rare weapons until end game content. Your first time playing through the game sucks ass in comparison, so much that I put the game down twice. Once in chapter two after complaining about it, then most recently in chapter four and still complaining about it.

What they should have did was have either a party level, which would have fixed all problems except not having rare items, or not place a level requirement on equipment. Because the way the stats are redone, the equipment gives a better boost in stats than the level.

Everything else in the game is extremely polished and a good addition to the game. The skill system, although not quite like Final Fantasy Tactics as Kid Ice suggested, is a really unique aspect to the game, the chariot system if you have to use it should help people who aren't that great at the game. The world system which I haven't been able to use(obviously as I haven't finished the game,) but you can restart at any point in the game and acquire all special characters together. I especially like the look of the game. The upgraded Warren's Report. The in game manual being a lot better than the older one.

It's just the first playthrough isn't enjoyable because all of the other flaws. Or atleast. It isn't as enjoyable as the original Tactics Ogre. If I never played the original I'm certain I'd love this game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-07-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Noones depriving themselves people would just rather play it on a big screen tv rather than a tiny psp screen hows that idiotic?
    idiotic may be a bit strong true, but i do think they are depriving themselves of some fantastic games. when i game on a portable i forget im staring at a small screen, that happens no matter what size screen it is, even huge tv's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played it, but Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max is supposedly the PS1 port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 with three or so additional characters.