Thread: when did bootleg Nintendo DS games start to look so professional?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default when did bootleg Nintendo DS games start to look so professional?

i knew something was wrong when i opened the box. the package felt... flimsy. the box was skinny, light, and slightly concave. the european rating on the front was a giveaway, especially since it had the normal esrb rating on the back. plus this is "aliens infestation", a game that is rated "Teen', not "Everyone" like it says on the back. the insert is pretty good... just a touch grainy. instruction book is decent, not as glossy as i expected and the booklet just ended without any of the normal legal stuff. none of the normal nintendo warning pamplets one normally gets in a new/sealed game, either.

still, this would easily fool a parent.

anyone been almost fooled lately?

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

It sounds like they put more money into making that bootleg then the game would actually be worth...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I unknowingly bought a bootleg copy of Tetris DS from an eBay seller a couple of years ago. This was right before the DSi XL came out. I gave away my DS Lite in anticipation of the XL. When I finally got it, the game wouldn't run. Upon a closer look, the case was a slightly darker shade of gray, but the instructions and the insert really seemed official quality. I researched it further and it became clear it was a fake. It's too bad, because I've still yet to play Tetris DS.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a Used Tetris DS from a local Gamestop, and guess what? It was fake. I promptly returned it for a full refund but still Gamestop should have some people checking to make sure the DS games people trade in are legit.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheChristoph View Post
    I unknowingly bought a bootleg copy of Tetris DS from an eBay seller a couple of years ago. This was right before the DSi XL came out. I gave away my DS Lite in anticipation of the XL. When I finally got it, the game wouldn't run. Upon a closer look, the case was a slightly darker shade of gray, but the instructions and the insert really seemed official quality. I researched it further and it became clear it was a fake. It's too bad, because I've still yet to play Tetris DS.
    This happened to me to back in 2009. I had recently gotten together with my long lost sisters (with an equally long story) and my little sister is a gamer like me but with a love for Tetris. I wanted to get her Tetris DS for her birthday and got one on eBay. When I received it, it was in a HUGE clear plastic case. The manual, while feeling professional, was off center. The cartridge color was also off along with the coloring and alignment of the cartridge label. Put the seller on the spot for a refund and they said they had "no idea" it was a bootleg. Didn't even want it back.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I got a fake Yoshi's Island and Advance Wars once from a reseller; they refunded my money when I called them on it. This is one more reason why I don't bother with eBay any more for console games. I might go there for old PC games, but for Nintendo stuff, there are way too many pirates.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I bought a Used Tetris DS from a local Gamestop, and guess what? It was fake. I promptly returned it for a full refund but still Gamestop should have some people checking to make sure the DS games people trade in are legit.
    I bought a Tom and Jerry bootleg GB cart at a Gamestop a few years back and it was so poorly put together I thought it would break apart if I even moved it.

Something tells me they don't really check the handheld stuff.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    I bought a Tom and Jerry bootleg GB cart at a Gamestop a few years back and it was so poorly put together I thought it would break apart if I even moved it.

If it's enough to fool people on the forums, it's enough to fool a store employee. I've bought GBA carts with professionally printed stickers, pop them in my machine and see "scene release" splash screen.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post

I've seen a Gameboy Color only game in a standard Gameboy style case in an EB Games with a crappy looking label, when I told an employee there that it was a bootleg he said it wasn't fake and that Nintendo must have just run out of cases. I don't really think some employees know what they're doing.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've seen a Gameboy Color only game in a standard Gameboy style case in an EB Games with a crappy looking label, when I told an employee there that it was a bootleg he said it wasn't fake and that Nintendo must have just run out of cases. I don't really think some employees know what they're doing.
    Did you totally pwn that douche?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Did you totally pwn that douche?
    I think I actually did, I told another employee(possibly the manager as he seemed more competent) about the game being a bootleg and it was taken to the back so it wasn't for sale anymore. Does that count? I forgot about that part until now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Realistic bootleg ds ganes have been a problem for a while now. They seem to mostly come from amazon's private sellers or what ever they call them as well as ebay. I have read that nintendo will brick a 3ds if you incert a bootleg ds game, i hope thats not the case but they are in an anti piracy rage over fake ds games and those flash cards that let you play downloaded roms on your system.

There are also ds systems being bootleged as wel. Here a good link on the bootleg systems.

http://www.1up.com/news/ebay-sold-fake-ds
    Last edited by rlemmon; 11-23-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They make fake books and boxes now???

Wow I thought the rule used to be avoid loose titles

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All this bootleg crap is gonna be a real pain down the road when collectors are looking for old ds games and systems, trying to figure out wich ones are real.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

They aren't gonna brick your 3DS if you accidentally buy a bootleg game. I know they have some bullshit in the TOS about it, but it's never going to happen. That's mainly about flashcards anyway.

If Little Jimmy's gramma accidently buy him a bootleg pokeymans off eBay, Nintendo ain't gonna wreck nothin. Cuz they know Little Jimmy's grandpa, Big Jimmy, gon sue them anyway.