Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What great classic games are you deliberately saving to play later?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

Default What great classic games are you deliberately saving to play later?

So today I finally started playing Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for the PS1. A game I had in my youth, but never really played, and now I'm playing it for the first time. I had heard great things and wanted to save it for when I really wanted to play a great game.

So, are there any games that you expect to be truly great, or that you've constantly heard about that you have deliberately left to play later so that you have something great to play?

My short list would be:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Earthbound
    Final Fantasy II & III
    Life is like a hurricane...

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

super metroid... really want to beat the nes one first though...

if i had a copy of earthbound i'd be playing it right now... there's something about throwing down 100 bucks on a cart that just makes you wanna play it right away... haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

I have a copy of Judge Dredd for the SNES that I haven't taken the plastic off of yet.

I have high expectations.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Superman N64 . I heard things. I really enjoyed Lunar btw.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Legend of Zelda. I was playing through the game for the first time a few months ago, remembering as much of the hidden stuff from watching others play Zelda as I could from 15+ years ago, while avoiding use of an online guide. After burning a thousand bushes, dropping a hundred or so bombs, and racking my brain's memories for answers that would not come, I decided to suspend play as I let the weighty ethical issue of using a guide or not using a guide marinate in my mind. I have decided to use a guide when I pick it up again. My rationale is that I have better things to do than try to figure out "puzzles" that have neither rhyme nor reason.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I guess the closest I come to "saving" games is waiting to reach the Nintendo Power coverage of some games before I play/replay them. You see, I've been reading old Nintendo Power issues cover-to-cover starting with around issue 8 or so (still need to pick up the issues before that). I'm up to 1993. I don't get the opportunity to crack into the issues often (the big box of them is stored at my mom's house), but when I do, I like to immerse myself in that time period, let myself get kind of "hyped up" for the games, and use the issues to dictate what I play, if I happen to own the games I'm reading about. That's one reason why I haven't played through Super Metroid all of the way just yet. I want to get up to the coverage first. I'm also looking forward to replaying Donkey Kong Country and Ocarina of Time, but I'm saving that to coincide with the magazine coverage. Right now I'm going through issues that are new to me, but once I hit 1995, I'll start getting into issues that I read as a teenager, when I started my subscription. I think I'll have a great time rereading those issues and replaying my favorites from back then, but I'm saving those games and issues until I get to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    You see, I've been reading old Nintendo Power issues cover-to-cover starting with around issue 8 or so (still need to pick up the issues before that). I'm up to 1993. I don't get the opportunity to crack into the issues often (the big box of them is stored at my mom's house), but when I do, I like to immerse myself in that time period, let myself get kind of "hyped up" for the games, and use the issues to dictate what I play, if I happen to own the games I'm reading about.
    That is all kinds of awesome. Cheers!

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't save games so much as get distracted by other games (or other activities) and wind up not coming back to it for a long time.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never intentionally saved a game for later because of high expectations.

But I do have a long long backlog nonetheless.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lufia II and Phantasy Star IV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have enough time to put games off, just about every game is put off, I have way too much shit I want to play, but don't have enough time to do it.

But I do tend to play Castlevania during Halloween / Early november. And Zelda games during December and Christmas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still haven't played Final Fantasy VI, partly out of some odd idea that I should play the first six games in order. I really should abandon that notion. That's the problem with "saving" games; for me "saving" something ends up being the same as never getting around to it at all.

While I haven't really gotten around to playing any of the Metroid games (aside from Metroid Prime Pinball), I can't say I've been "deliberately" saving those at all.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a library of "gotta have" PSX rpgs that I've been saving for when the moment strikes me, but what I've REALLY been "saving for later" are all of those great games for the N64 that were made by Rare.... complete with their guides. The worlds in those games are usually so massive that they need to be played through without interruption from other gaming. One day there will be a snowy Sunday with nothing to do......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

You mean Banjo Kazooie and things like that??
    Life is like a hurricane...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    I still haven't played Final Fantasy VI, partly out of some odd idea that I should play the first six games in order.
    I've done that exact same thing. I've played through 1-4 so far (and 7 prior to those). And my hope is really riding on 6 because, of the ones I've played, I've yet to feel any were better than so-so. I really would like to understand the immense love for the series, so I'm a little nervous to do 6. From what I've seen and heard of 6, it seems like it has the best graphics and music of the series (in my opinion, at least), and it was released relatively close to Chrono Trigger with involvement from many of the same developers, and I love that game. So 6 is my best chance at really liking a numbered Final Fantasy, I think, but I'll continue to save it until I first beat 5 and then feel ready to accept possible disappointment in 6.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default This is a great question

I've saved a ton of games for later. My situation is the opposite of jdheins; I don't have enough time to play a lot of the games I highly anticipate. I tend to hold off anything that I want to dedicate uninterrupted time to.

I only recently played through Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. I've owned it for several years, but waited until the right time to play it because I knew that the story was going to be trippy.

I never play games out of order, so a lot of my games are put off until I play the earlier installments, which a lot of times means waiting until I acquire them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my collection, actually. I haven't played the majority of my SNES games, not because I don't want to, but becuase I want to have a little stream or show someday where I play through every NA SNES release. You can only have first impressions one time, so I'd like to capture those and share them with friends/viewers.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I've been saving some games to play at a later time. For some I want to play them in order so I'm waiting until I find the earlier games I'm missing before I start playing any of them, others I wanted to wait until I had enough spare time to play large chunks at once as I'd forget what's going on if I only had a few minutes at a time to play through, and some others I just didn't feel like setting up the system to play them yet as I know I'd have to keep setting it up play through the entire thing. A few games I've waited until I found the strategy guide to begin playing them, I didn't want to worry about getting stuck and giving up. Even though I could just look up a walkthrough online I want the actual guide instead, it's just easier for me to look through.

One that comes to mind is The Longest Journey, I've heard such great things with this game that I want to play it but I haven't felt like playing it until I also had the sequel so I could just continue with that afterwards. I managed to find the sequel but now I don't feel like setting up my old PC to play it, I'll try to get to it soon. There's so many more games like this that I've set aside to play later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    One that comes to mind is The Longest Journey, I've heard such great things with this game that I want to play it but I haven't felt like playing it until I also had the sequel so I could just continue with that afterwards. I managed to find the sequel but now I don't feel like setting up my old PC to play it, I'll try to get to it soon. There's so many more games like this that I've set aside to play later.
    They're both on GOG/Steam/etc, FYI.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I don't save games so much as get distracted by other games (or other activities) and wind up not coming back to it for a long time.
    This times a billion. There's too many games I own that I want to play but I just never end up playing.