Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there really that big of a difference between S-Video and RGB on SNES?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there really that big of a difference between S-Video and RGB on SNES?

I'm an admin on /r/gamecollecting on Reddit and we recently made a group purchase of some Monster S-Video cables for SNES/N64/GCN. I wrote a review HERE if you're interested with screenshots comparing composite and S-Video.

Whereas a couple of those cables cost me around 15 bucks, the jump to a top-notch RGB setup (XRGB-3, GCN SCART cable, and euro-to-JAP conversion...) would be 40-50x more expensive. I'm a big enough of a nut that I'm actually open to considering the possibility, but frankly I don't see how the video quality can get much better than what I'm seeing in the screenshots I posted within the review.

Anyone care to chime in? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think so really, there is a noticeable improvement when you go to RGB for the SNES but the consoles s-video and hell, even composite capabilities are superior to the MD/GEN and while there is an increase in clarity with each step up you take its not the "OMG WOW" factor you get from some of the other consoles of the era.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah man. There was a fairly "wow" transition from Composite to S-Video, but I don't know how much of a difference RGB would make...

The bigger issue is that if I upgraded to RGB it'd be because I were streaming my SNES games for a show or reviews etc. With everything I listed about PLUS a DVI or VGA capture (for which the capture cards are like $2000 a piece... crazy...), I'm looking at about $2500 just to get a bump in streamable video quality, vs. now, where I can already capture S-Video with my Dazzle DVC100.

It's a shame that SCART was never implemented in the US and that it's such a pain to get usable RGB out of NTSC SNESs, even if it is a model 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why do you need an XRGB-3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd get in some svideo cables for snes. If you do another group purchase let us know

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I've never seen a noticeable difference on ANYTHING between S-Video and Composite. Perhaps if you stare at a still shot, but not for anything moving.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An XRGB-3 does seem like a classy and robust piece of hardware, but there are definitely other ways to make this work. A more affordable solution for getting RGB going from a SNES (on a TV without a SCART input) would be to pair a cheap third party RGB cable like this with a SCART-to-??? video converter like this. In the case of that particular SCART-to-component video converter, an audio breakout adapter like so would be a sound idea, unless silence is preferred. Altogether, this is a ~$70 ordeal but way below the cost of an XRGB-3 alone.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Not really.

I went the Scart-to-RGB route with my genesis because its stock composite picture is pretty lousy. It ended up costing about 60-70 bucks for the converter and a RGB cable with built in Audio splitter. It was an upgrade well worth it and the picture looks fantastic on a CRT screen.

My SNES was an earlier model so S-video was an option. I picked up the cable and again massive improvement over composite as expected. I picked up an SCART-RGB cable for my SNES and tried it out with little improvement. So little in fact that I don't want to go through the trouble of plugging and unplugging the rather snug SCART cable every time I switch consoles. I really didn't see enough of an improvement to justify the 10 dollar cable over S-video, you might but it really wasn't that dramatic.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On an RGB monitor (I have a Sony PVM-2530) you will see an improvement in RGB versus S-video. It is most evident with a Sega Genesis, but also with a model 1 SNES.

The XRGB-3's claim to fame is that it allows you to use a modern HDTV while maintaining an image resembling what we rmember from playing on a CRT.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great points. Thanks everyone :P. Someday if/when I'm loaded and if TV technology has never caught up to the majesty that is CRT technology, I will perhaps buy the XRGB equivalent of the day, if one exists O..o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

RGB under ideal circumstances wildly beats anything else. That is no myth or hyberbole. However it takes extra TLC to gain its full benefit. RGB is the purest sharpest option in existence, raw video format many consoles render in. Any minute artifact WILL be visible. Especially on HD sets. Has none of the "smoothing" effect, that CRTs and/or composite provide.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In my RGB modding experience I found that the SNES' RGB was the best out of the older consoles I own. Quite stunning.

However, S-Video Monster Cables (SNES/N64/NGC) will work pretty well for screen capturing because their superior build quality, as compared to other S-Video cables, allows for a much better picture on that format.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've gone through about all the internal hardware revisions on the original SNES and they all have poor RGB picture quality, some are better than others, RGB on the original model SNES is very blurry for some reason. Every Super Famicom I've come across has the same problem.

The SNES 2 or Super Famicom JR. on the other hand, when properly modded offers the best RGB picture (it does not output RGB out of the box). A huge improvement. I prefer the look of the original SNES/Super Famicom, but use a Super Famicom JR. because of the much better RGB picture quality.

I use a Sony standard res. RGB monitor, but the difference in picture quality can be seen on everything from RGB/Component converters to the XRGB units.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

As for Genesis, it's been proposed (if largely rumor) jail bars might be a VDP problem. Curing that entirely will take re-implementing an improved graphics chip to fix the bug. Good luck finding someone with transistor skills or a semiconductor plant...
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    In my RGB modding experience I found that the SNES' RGB was the best out of the older consoles I own. Quite stunning.
    I concur with Hamburglar in that the SNES' RGB isn't as sharp as other systems like Genesis, SMS, PC-Engine, Saturn, etc. The SNES has a bit of blurring/trailing capacitance on the right side of high-contrast objects that the other systems don't have. (I can't speak for the SNES Jr.)

The S-Video on SNES is clear enough that RGB isn't absolutely justified. I don't have S-V shots but my page here does have some composite-RGB comparison shots: http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    As for Genesis, it's been proposed (if largely rumor) jail bars might be a VDP problem. Curing that entirely will take re-implementing an improved graphics chip to fix the bug. Good luck finding someone with transistor skills or a semiconductor plant...
    I don't get Jailbars with my own RGB cables, only had problems with cheap cables that are missing the components that are necessary...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the jump isnt huge, but it is with the genesis. i purchased a scart -> component adapter for around 50 bucks. with that adapter and a scart switchbox, i had space for 4 different scart connections. the scart cables themselves werent that expensive so i bought cables for the genesis, snes, saturn, and neo geo. the entire setup was around 120 dollars. the jump in quality for the saturn and snes (s-video) wasnt huge, but it certainly was for the genesis and neo geo.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    I concur with Hamburglar in that the SNES' RGB isn't as sharp as other systems like Genesis, SMS, PC-Engine, Saturn, etc. The SNES has a bit of blurring/trailing capacitance on the right side of high-contrast objects that the other systems don't have. (I can't speak for the SNES Jr.)

The S-Video on SNES is clear enough that RGB isn't absolutely justified. I don't have S-V shots but my page here does have some composite-RGB comparison shots: http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html
    Yeah, with the monster S-Video cables my video quality is every bit as sharp or sharper than the RGB screenshots that guy is showing. I've used crappy S-Video cables before and their quality wasn't half as good as the monster cables.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    the jump isnt huge, but it is with the genesis. i purchased a scart -> component adapter for around 50 bucks. with that adapter and a scart switchbox, i had space for 4 different scart connections. the scart cables themselves werent that expensive so i bought cables for the genesis, snes, saturn, and neo geo. the entire setup was around 120 dollars. the jump in quality for the saturn and snes (s-video) wasnt huge, but it certainly was for the genesis and neo geo.
    I have a question, are you saying your setup went like this?

X Game Console - Scart - Scart Switchbox - Scart Output -Scart Converter - Component - TV

I honestly didn't know they made just switchboxes for Scart and if its cheap and works I would like to do something similar with my settup. It would largely eliminate the back and forth between different cable settups for different games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I myself was looking for an S-video cable for connecting my SNES just last week.

I've heard that a lot of the 'no name' generic brand ones are garbage, so I wanted to try finding a nintendo brand (1st party) one. I found out after searching, it's no easy feat!

I saw on eBay (link here) , that there was a japanese seller selling Super Famicon ones (1st party), and am told they work with the North American consoles.

Figured I'd share.