Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there really that big of a difference between S-Video and RGB on SNES?

Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    PolygonGTC

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    I have a Hip Gear branded "System Selector" which looks remarkably similar only it has space for 5 inputs, composite & s-video. It's worked like a charm for years on an old Samsung CRT and, at least on the composite side, I've never noticed any negative effect on signal quality although, like Polygon, I haven't ran s-video through it. It was something like $10 from a local Blockbuster, found in one of those bins of random accessories.

Here's the one: http://www.estarland.com/DefaultPage.product.30696.html
    I think one company made those and sold them to different brands. I also recall seeing the exact same one branded for Game Spot as well.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: X-Box, X-Box 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, Wii U
    Sega: Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, 3DS, SMS

I finally decided to snag an s-video cable for my Super NES. I checked all the used game stores around me, assuming they would have something intended for the Gamecube, but no luck. I ordered an official Nintendo one from Ebay. There are approximately one billion of the crappy composite/s-video combination cables listed, so it wasn't easy to find.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I think one company made those and sold them to different brands. I also recall seeing the exact same one branded for Game Spot as well.
    Yeah, mine is Pelican brand (bought from a Walmart, IIRC) but looks like that and has the 5 inputs, not 4 like the other one posted.

I have used mine with S-Video, and the only issue is the connectors on some cords with thicker jackets on the a/v connectors don't fit into it very well, it's a tight squeeze for my Xbox, for instance. But as far as actual quality, it's been just fine for me over the years.

Mine also has an RF modulator built in, but I have never had a reason to even try that function out. For that function it requires an AC adapter (included) but nothing else requires power.

I just got an official Nintendo s-video cable. For some reason, the red and white cables are reversed. On every other cable I own, along with the inputs on the TV, the order of connections is yellow/white/red. This cable is s-video/red/white. I guess I need to find a game that has distinct left/right sounds so I can test that the cables are wired correctly.

*edit*
    I tested the sound and it is wired correctly. I got this cable from Japan, but I can't imagine that Japanese audio inputs are reversed. I guess the s-video cable is just like that.
    Last edited by Zing; 02-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.

So I did a few comparisons with various games like Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, and Mega Man X. At first I didn't notice much difference. But when switching between the two, the difference is clear in the details and colors seem much more accurate. However, the difference isn't huge as with the PSone composite to s-video upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I've never seen a noticeable difference on ANYTHING between S-Video and Composite. Perhaps if you stare at a still shot, but not for anything moving.
    I noticed quite a difference between Composite and S-Video on my SNES. (hooked up to 54 inch toshiba projection tv).