Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Default DS Lite's Screen Flickering & Powering Off

After languishing in storage for about a year, I recently retrieved my DS Lite so I could play Giana Sisters. I immediately noticed that the bottom screen flickered whenever I pressed any of the main buttons (y, x, b, a). I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I ignored the problem and continued playing. Soon thereafter the DS just shut itself off. I turned it back on, started the game up, and resumed playing. A few minutes later it shut itself off again.

The unit is charged and has no visible physical damage. I am not technically savvy when it comes to the inner workings of handhelds or consoles, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer to try and repair the thing as I'm on a fairly tight budget and have Xmas looming on the horizon. Thanks all.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Anybody? Please?
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Check the battery?... I don't know, i haven't taught myself the inner workings of the ds yet... will at some point I just haven't come across any broken ones yet...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Hawks,

Sounds to me like the ribbon cable of the TOP screen could be loose. Your going to have to open her up (carefully) and check all the cables inside the DS. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing you how to do this. You will also need a tri-wing screw driver to open the DS.

My DS lite had the same problem... When I would try to power up the unit, the bottom screen would flicker on for a second, then the machine would just turn off... this means your TOP screen is having an issue. my top screen needed to be replaced altogether, but for you.. first try re seating the ribbon cables.

- retromangia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Thanks for the advice Vertigo and Retro. I'll look into it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually a loose cable to the top screen or bottom screen or bad bottom screen or top screen will cause the DS to flicker and turn off so make sure to check both screen cables.