Thread: Problem with Saturn laser not moving

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problem with Saturn laser not moving

The CD spins but I don't hear the lens moving from inside to outside like it should which causes the disc to not be read as a game. I have to open the Saturn and manually spin the gears so that the laser moves to the outside part of where the disk would be. Upon turning on the system the laser will move again and play the game as it properly should for a little while but after a little while it will often freeze at a loading screen and then I have to repeat the process all over again.

Is there a way to fix this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I'd try spraying contact cleaner in a port of the motor attached to the gears. If that don't clear it up, you needs a new motor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale420 View Post
    I'd try spraying contact cleaner in a port of the motor attached to the gears. If that don't clear it up, you needs a new motor.
    Any liquid cleaner is a GREAT way to attract more dust and dirt. Don't do it. If anything it should be cleaned properly and then regreased with ceramic grease. It really doesn't sound like a stuck gear being the problem.

And actually, the laser moves from the outside to the inside to read the disc at boot. It'll move to the outer edge to verify the security "barcode" at one point and then back to reading the data to boot up the game.

This is also a bit confusing:
    ...play the game as it properly should for a little while but after a little while it will often freeze at a loading screen and then I have to repeat the process all over again.
    So the game will play and freeze at a loading screen randomly? Are the discs scratched? Is the ribbon from the controller board to the motherboard secure and undamaged?

I'd also try cleaning the lens with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Dip the Q-Tip into some rubbing alcohol, tap the stick portion a bit to remove any drops that may end up where you don't want them and gently rub the lens. It doesn't need much pressure and you shouldn't cause it to dip inwards at all if possible.

Give it 10 minutes or so to dry and try again. If it doesn't work it might need a new laser. I've got one here that works great as well as several modchips. Saturns are fairly resilient creatures.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Any liquid cleaner is a GREAT way to attract more dust and dirt. Don't do it. If anything it should be cleaned properly and then regreased with ceramic grease. It really doesn't sound like a stuck gear being the problem.
    No, I think it's a weak motor, not a stuck gear. Which is why I suggested the contact cleaner. If you of a better way to add life to a weak motor, I'm all ears. Don't think WD-40. This is what contact cleaner is designed for; removing debris from electrical moving parts or contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    And actually, the laser moves from the outside to the inside to read the disc at boot. It'll move to the outer edge to verify the security "barcode" at one point and then back to reading the data to boot up the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrainkida View Post
    I have to open the Saturn and manually spin the gears so that the laser moves to the outside part of where the disk would be.
    I think you got confused as to what his issues are. If the laser assembly doesn't move sometimes, and he can spin the gears by hand...

Motor or bad connection. Only possibilities I can think of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I only spoke of what it was supposed to do, when the post is confusing one is forced to interpret.

What is supposed to happen upon power up:
    1)Laser moves towards hub (if it isn't already in position)
    2)Laser attempts to see if there is a disc to be read (focusing)
    3)If there is a disc detected the Saturn will spin up the disc

(the above is irrelevant to anything in this thread but is important to note when diagnosing a Saturn)

And honestly I wouldn't spray anything into the laser assembly area of anything unless you want to risk droplets getting places you don't want them to. Why would a weak motor be fixed by contact cleaner? Far more likely it would need the wiring replaced and/or soldering redone based on what I've seen with the multitudes of Saturns I've worked on. Never seen any corrosion but that doesn't mean someone doesn't store theirs on a boat.

And I've got a perfect way to add life to a weak motor: replace it.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Yeah, I replace them too, that's ideal, but not the 1st choice. Have to wait for the motor if you don't have one for starters.

And contact cleaner is kosher on anything in the assembly except the laser itself. Easy to shield from it. I do it frequently. Contact cleaner cleans, lubricates, and uses the tiniest amount of acid to remove the particles, not just push them around. If the motor's brushes are dirty, or there is a small obsruction, good chance it will work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played with my saturn this morning for about 45 minutes and didn't have any problems. I'm HOPING maybe because I have adjusted the laser position enough times in the past couple of weeks that the motor has maybe decided to cooperate with me. Long shot I know... But I'm cautious and if I have more problems I will definitely clean the lens again just to be safe. I have checked the ribbon cable as recently as a few days ago and it appears to be fine but will double check next time I open up system. I am considering the contact cleaner method if the above doesn't seem to improve anything.

I DO have another Saturn system somewhere in a closet where I live. I might see if that one works.

Anyways this thread has been very helpful so far. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well. Thanks everyone!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spoke too soon...Looks like I'm going to try the other Saturn. Thanks for the help everyone