Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats Your Fav Xmas Video Game Memory?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    Christmas of 1978 we received the Atari 2600 and played the only game that came with it all day, Combat.
    I've never understood why some people give Combat a bad rap. I loved the game as a kid.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I honestly don't remember most of my Christmas gaming gifts that well. I never got a home console from my family for Christmas (I only ever got one console from my family period, and that was the N64 for my birthday in '96). I got a few handhelds over the years from my mom, but I think the only one for Christmas was my SP, in 2005 I believe. That was a great haul that year, considering my fiance also got me my PC Engine Duo-RX with a bunch of games that same Christmas.

As for games, I believe I got Super Mario Kart by chance from my dad one year, since my mom told him I liked Mario games. I think I got Ogre Battle 64 and Paper Mario from my mom and dad one year, in 2001 I presume, so that was an awesome duo. I believe Lunar on PlayStation was a Christmas present. If I got a Game Boy game, it was typically in my stocking on Christmas morning (as opposed to opened on Christmas Eve, which my family always did with the presents under the tree). The stocking was kind of like small, "bonus" gifts, so a Game Boy game was pretty fancy and expensive for a stocking present. I remember getting Castlevania Legends and Donkey Kong Land that way. In my adult life, my fiance has given me a lot of awesome gaming stuff (and me him), and Secret Santa on here has always been a blast.

But to pick a favorite Christmas video game memory, it absolutely would go to my grandma, who gave me all three of the Donkey Kong Country games. The first, amazingly, she bought for me at release for no reason at all (other than that she knew I really wanted it), and the following two games I got for Christmas in the years they came out (I believe they always came out in November, so not a long wait). She was an amazing person, and the DKC games always remind me of her kindness, generosity, and how much she wanted to make me happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrk View Post
    Mine would definitely have to be Christmas 1995 when I FINALLY got 007 GoldenEye.
    1997? Goldeneye was released that year.

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Christmas 86 or 87 when I received the NES with the Power Pad along with Contra.
    1988? Contra wasn't out until then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This year! Sending out my Christmas card this year is easily my favorite Christmas video gaming memory. For the last few years I've reverted back to making and printing them myself. Last year's Space Invaders "Holiday Invasion" went over pretty well but I think this one will do even better. Just sent them out yesterday.

Super low resolution and watermarked...

It looks great printed. Here's the inside...

"Kris Kringle has 20 minutes to recover 32 gifts lost in the jungle,
    The Christmas spirit ensures the locale won't give him much trouble.

The crocodiles are out caroling, spreading cheer as Kris swings overhead,
    Even the once fearsome scorpion enjoys a peppermint treat before going to bed.

Proclaiming joy throughout the night, other explorers never had so much fun,
    Bringing wishes of Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to everyone!"

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I think my favorite memory has to be around 97'-98' (don't remember the exact year) when the family picked up a Playstation for me and my brother. I think they bought Crash Bandicoot 2 with it as well and the hours upon hours of playing that game are ingrained into me. We had had both a master system and genesis before that but I was too young to ever remember getting either console and so they always just seemed to be there forever.

The graphics and sound of the playstation blew me away for what video games could be and it also helped that I could finally be apart of what friends had been bragging about for years at that point. I think its both the memory of that particular christmas along with all of the worlds and ides the playstation opened up to me in the coming years really make this a memorable Video game Christmas.

I really loved that console all through hundred and hundreds of hours of play either watching my brother playing through Final Fantasy VII/VIII and Xenogears and playing myself. Through all of the sessions of Twisted Metal 1,2,3and Vigilante 8 with buddies and long nights playing Spyro with my little sis. Even once we started holding it on its side or upside down or whatever helped the disc run I still loved the thing . These along with countless other memories all starting on that christmas.

I actually have no idea what happened to it and now that makes me a bit sad...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tough to pick one, but two stand out. The first involves receiving and the other giving.

Back when I was a kid it was kinda hard to get games through my parents. They thought it was a waste of money and a distraction from my school work. However, one x-mas...

I was at home watching TV while my parents were out shopping. The phone rang and the maid (we lived overseas where live-in maids isn't a big deal), gave me the phone. It was my dad and he asked if I wanted a SEGA Genesis for x-mas. He was at the store and he said they had just gotten them in. My dad said it came with one game (Altered Beast), but that I could pick three more (oh snap bonus)! He named all the games they had in stock and from that I picked my three. Then he said it only comes with one controller, did I want another? Gee, that's a tough one. Right after I got off the phone, I started jumping up and down, pumping my fist (basically going wild like the n64 kid). The maid thought I was goin' nuts. Even though I already knew what I was getting that year, it was still totally special haha.

During my last two years of college, I finally got my first job ever. Prior to that, I wasn't allowed to work because my parents thought it would... once again interfere with school work. It was a pretty good deal interning at a big software company. It was paying about $25/hr (which was pretty darn good for an intern back then). Well x-mas was coming around and I wanted to get a gift for my little sister. The age difference between us is fairly large, about 10 years apart. At the time, I wasn't interested in gaming anymore but my sister really liked playing my old Super Nintendo. She wanted to get an N64, but my parents said no due to her bad grades. Well, I thought that sucked so I said to myself F' our parents, she's getting an N64. So I bought a system, about 4 games, extra controller and I believe a memory card or something. It was such an utter delight to see her excitement and joy while opening the gift. She then gave me one of the warmest hugs of gratitude ever.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 11-30-2011 at 02:13 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

my parents bought me my first console and went through quite a bit to get it to-N64 with a copy of mario 64. Lots of good times had by the whole family with that machine. after that pretty much just my bro and I kept gaming but it started something for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, where to start?

I've had some epic gaming-Christmas memories, particularly with the SNES. In '91 it was F-ZERO and Final Fight vs. spirits, in '92 it was KING OF THE KARTS, in '93 it was FIGHT CLUB and in '94 it was KAREN KOMBAT. Then, just last Christmas, I had an epic multi-player SNES session with my cousins that I'll never forget.

For elaboration on these stories and more, check out:

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7443/1463299.html

It's my SNES Christmas Memoirs

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I have two...Getting my Gameboy that year it came out, and getting TMNT2 The Arcade game when it came out on the Nes..It was my fav.. in the arcades and i was and still am a huge TMNT fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

My parents have always harbored a strong distaste for video-gaming, so there are no winter holiday game-gift memories, except one.

My brother saved up a ton of money from his newspaper route and ordered an Atari 5200 from Sears. I'm not sure if it was a pre-order or what. The memory is vague because I wasn't particularly interested in my brother's affairs.

He and my Dad were in a tizzy about something or other, like my brother was feverish, and my Dad was annoyed. We loaded up the station wagon and went to Sears to get something (of which I did not, or could not understand). The line at the Sears Customer Pick-Up counter was congested, being just a few days before the winter festival of consumption, and I remember being super hot bundled up in my winter clothing.

There was tenseness in the car on the way home. I think my brother was trying to open/unpack that huge box, and my dad was ready to beat our asses.
    The next memory I have is of playing Super Breakout, and having to fight for next turn. My life was forever altered.