Thread: What Microsoft Should and Shouldn't Do For the Xbox 720 [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb What Microsoft Should and Shouldn't Do For the Xbox 720 [Slashdot]

donniebaseball23 writes "Xbox 360 just came off a record November, with more than 1.7 million units sold in the U.S., but behind closed doors Microsoft is planning its next move for the successor to the popular console. Plenty of Xbox 720 rumors have surfaced in recent months, but veteran games journalist Chris Morris has filtered through them to provide a realistic take on what Microsoft should and shouldn't do with Xbox 360's successor. In particular, he notes that Microsoft should adopt the Blu-ray format from Sony. 'A DVD drive as a medium for storing larger and larger games is outdated – and it steps on the toes of a system that bills itself as the high definition leader,' Morris writes. 'Microsoft resisted the move to Blu-ray this generation without any ill effects. It even survived picking the losing side in the format battle between Blu-ray and HD-DVD, but it can't rely on the DVD to take it into the next generation.'"

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thongs they should do:

1. Make it reliable (should be common sense)

2.) Utilize 2nd party way better with more exclusives that aren't halo. Not really a system issue just a complaint.

3.) Don't touch people's xbox live accounts especially achievements.

4.) Make a media controller that is not IR. Small complaint but if I'm going to use it to watch media its annoying to have line of sight just to press play and I hate using the normal controllers.

5.) Do not make it cloud based. I don't think they would anyways as most peoples internet is too slow but there is always the rumors.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post
    Thongs they should do:

1. Make it reliable (should be common sense)

2.) Utilize 2nd party way better with more exclusives that aren't halo. Not really a system issue just a complaint.

3.) Don't touch people's xbox live accounts especially achievements.

4.) Make a media controller that is not IR. Small complaint but if I'm going to use it to watch media its annoying to have line of sight just to press play and I hate using the normal controllers.

5.) Do not make it cloud based. I don't think they would anyways as most peoples internet is too slow but there is always the rumors.
    Missed a few thing
    1. Make more xbox 360 compatible and work like they do on 360 which they didn't do much with xbox games (not even 50% can work with 360). Not saying all should, but do what the wii did where mostly all work the wii a few don't.
    2. Do what the wii did where the previous system controller worked for some of the next gen games. What would set microsoft apart would be if all work with the 360 controller. If they do this xbox 360 games will not have to use next gen controller you can use the one your use to (Couldn't do for xbox games because of connection was different).
    3. Since all or almost all games have online components they should allow you to play xbox live for your 360 games on the 720 forever if not then indie games will not be playable and games like teken 6, guitar hero, orange box ect will not be as fun offline for some because these games don't have another in line coming out and are still being played online.
    4. Transfer of all date from your 360 to 720. Not just game, but account and internet connection settings.
    5. Last one which is make it so that I can play videos and music of any file type from my ipod.
    Last edited by lookfun78; 12-14-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Oh, and make a system that is RELIABLE.

Although I've had no issues with my 360, I remember hearing of several complaints about how shoddy 360's were back then. Microsoft should avoid this and make sure it is sturdy and built like a tank.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I care about is being able to play all my old XBLA games from the 360 on it.

Backwards compatibility would be nice too but I'm honestly not expecting it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

If they want higher capacity discs without using Blu-ray, they can always go the PSP or Gamecube route and make the defunct HD-DVD media a game format, and it will still be able to do DVD. China is still using a format based on HD-DVD to this day called CBHD.

My biggest complaint is paying for gold membership, but I know they will never change that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    The only thing I care about is being able to play all my old XBLA games from the 360 on it.

Backwards compatibility would be nice too but I'm honestly not expecting it.
    For your XBLA games to be compatible, the system would have to be backwards compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    If they want higher capacity discs without using Blu-ray, they can always go the PSP or Gamecube route and make the defunct HD-DVD media a game format, and it will still be able to do DVD. China is still using a format based on HD-DVD to this day called CBHD.
    You'd then pay much more to manufacture your drives and press your disc. Going the Nintendo route (They're using Blu-Ray, although they're not going to pay the Blu-Ray Disc Association to enable video playback) allows you to take advantage of the constant decrease in Blu-Ray manufacturing cost versus going your own way. The same thing they essentially did with DVD technology with the GCN and Wii.

Plus, Microsoft still wants to be at the center of your home entertainment center and is still clearly striving towards that. Being able to play the only HD disc format on the market that is still growing significantly even in 2011 at a time when we're struggling to pull ourselves out of a recession and with Netflix gaining popularity, is going to be important.

Utilize 2nd party way better with more exclusives that aren't halo. Not really a system issue just a complaint.
    They ceased most of their 2nd party game development before the Xbox was even dead. I suspect we'll still be stuck with Halo and Forza and little else (What's Rare up to these days, anyways?). It's unfortunate when you consider all the great 2nd party games we got on the Xbox published by Microsoft (And several nice 3rd party games that they published themselves, like Outrun 2).

Even Project Gotham Racing seems dead now.

Do not make it cloud based. I don't think they would anyways as most peoples internet is too slow but there is always the rumors.
    There's no rumors about it. The cold hard reality of it is no one is ready. Your retail partners aren't, your consumers aren't, and internet infrastructure isn't anywhere near being able to support that (Many Americans don't even have the option of broadband internet access in rural areas, and I really doubt our current infrastructure for those that do could handle millions of gamers suddenly buying or streaming their games online).

What you're going to see, no doubt, is online distribution being on par in importance with retail distribution. All retail games being available as downloads, same day releases, competitive pricing, etc. We went from the last generation where the download seed was planted in a small way (Early XBLA, the occasional patch, and a little bit of DLC) to it growing in importance as a secondary form of distribution this generation.

The logical next step is for it to be even with retail game distribution in this upcoming console generation. They're slowly weening us off of physical game distribution. But they're not just going to flip a switch where you go from retail being your dominant form of distribution one generation to being nonexistent the next.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-14-2011 at 06:36 PM.