Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here NEVER beat a game

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody here NEVER beat a game

I love games and collecting but I suck a@@ at playing them. I have never beat a game in my entire life or even come close. I found my original Zelda from 100 years ago and I had everything bur the silver arrow, I have never even beaten the 1ST MARIO BROS!!!!!!!!. Its mainly because Im colorblind and have dyslexia, I have a very hard time at playing most games. Now games like Street Fighter and MK, where there are 2 huge guys in the middle of the screen, Im good. Am I the only one tho sucks at games on a game message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I can't speak for myself, I don't believe my younger brother has ever beat a video game unassisted. Yes, he was by my side with controller in hand as we beat Contra, Jackal, and Life Force, but I don't think he has ever beat a game by himself. Actually, he has stopped playing video games for the same reason that he was never able to beat them in the first place: stress. Playing video games stresses my brother out so much that he decided not to play them.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'm just going to go out and be a dick here. If you're an adult, consider yourself a gamer, and you have never beat a game, then there is something wrong with you. I admit there are still many games I have not beaten to this day; The Legend of Zelda, any Sonic game except for Sonic Adventure, Blaster Master, Super Mario RPG. A little bit of passion for a particular game is needed, overcoming game overs, and picking the controller up to see how much farther you can get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

This is like asking morbidly obese, bed-ridden people if they've never finished an entire plate of food.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I'm just going to go out and be a dick here. If you're an adult, consider yourself a gamer, and you have never beat a game, then there is something wrong with you. I admit there are still many games I have not beaten to this day; The Legend of Zelda, any Sonic game except for Sonic Adventure, Blaster Master, Super Mario RPG. A little bit of passion for a particular game is needed, overcoming game overs, and picking the controller up to see how much farther you can get.
    i think this is a little over the top, as i have still beaten many games there are some games i've actually had to force myself to finish. and other games that i've come so close to beating and still haven't that it may be a little shameful.

but i can def see where he's coming from... although i do find it a little ridiculous that he hasn't beaten a single game ever i wouldn't say there's something wrong with him... after all games aren't about the ending they're about the getting to the ending...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, oh god. I'm color blind too. It seriously was taking a huge toll on me in Donkey Kong Country 1 when you need to jump on the different colored ropes that send you in different directions. I'm glad some modern games have color blind correction in them, because it really helps me.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little bit of passion for a particular game is needed, overcoming game overs, and picking the controller up to see how much farther you can get.
    Amen.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

What if you're solely an arcade gamer? Hardly any games from the 80s had true endings, you just kept playing until you died.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i have this thing about never beating rpgs i love when im right near the very end like final boss battle, lol i dont know wtf it is, its like something inside of me, subconsciously like i dont want the game to end so i look for an excuse to do something else and i put it off for a while, a few days turns into a week, weeks into months and then when i do come back i've forgotten how to play or what i was doing before and just end up abandoning the game wholesale

lol its happened with persona 3, final fantasy x, panzer dragoon saga, chrono trigger, fallout 3 dlc, star ocean 2 and like 20 more i cant think of right now :
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    i have this thing about never beating rpgs i love when im right near the very end like final boss battle, lol i dont know wtf it is, its like something inside of me, subconsciously like i dont want the game to end so i look for an excuse to do something else and i put it off for a while, a few days turns into a week, weeks into months and then when i do come back i've forgotten how to play or what i was doing before and just end up abandoning the game wholesale

lol its happened with persona 3, final fantasy x, panzer dragoon saga, chrono trigger, fallout 3 dlc, star ocean 2 and like 20 more i cant think of right now :
    For me that happens with the 8-bit Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior games after the first one. Once you get to the last area of the game all you have to do is grind and grind until you are strong enough to beat the over-powered last boss. Since there is nothing left to do at the end of the game but walk around in circles and fight rather than explore anything, it gets repetetive, old and boring. I don't know why but I have always like Beyond the Beyond better than either of those series. Maybe it just appeals to me more graphically.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you are being a dick and I never said I was a gamer. Im a collector who enjoys video game collecting and the fun of it. I watch my girlfriend play for hours and Ill play every now and then but Im not a gamer. by the way, I stated what was "wrong" with me in the OP.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Well you are being a dick and I never said I was a gamer. Im a collector who enjoys video game collecting and the fun of it. I watch my girlfriend play for hours and Ill play every now and then but Im not a gamer. by the way, I stated what was "wrong" with me in the OP.
    Why is it the guy who really doesn't play video games gets the girlfriend that plays video games for hours! Aaaaaaaaargh!
    yep yep

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    I read your excuses, being dyslexic and color blind. As stated by HappehLemons who is color blind as well, I can see (pun intended) the extra challenge it puts on you. There's always the Gameboy with shades of grey, and I've beaten many Gameboy games. I'm not terribly familiar with dyslexia other than you get words and even paragraphs read incorrectly. If that's the case, most games other than RPGs shouldn't be a significant problem. Hell there is even a Youtube reviewer called the halfblindgamer. As for calling you a gamer, I guess I just under that assumption because we were talking about playing video games, my bad. (sarcasm)
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 12-15-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The quickest way to end your dry spell is to play Adventure for the 2600. The first setting has a simplistic map, so you may be able to beat it within five minutes.

Once that chalice is brought back to the castle, the monkey on your back will be gone.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the distinct problem of just dropping games after a while.
    pretty much all of my snes games have saves on them that would let me beat the game in about an hour, but i'm just kinda meh about it, y'know?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For you guys who dont finish games, are they not fun or is there no challenge in them? My son is 10 and he beat Call of Duty in 4 hours, then again and again just for fun.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Not even Tekken 4 on very easy mode?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have dyslexia and the only games I have a problem with are the ones where the text scrolls or only stays on the screen for a set time and then it only really messes me up if there is a message of what to do next in it.

The other games I can’t play are games where you have to spell a word correct to precede mostly educational games where it gives a time limit. The real games like this aren’t as bad like text adventure games, most of the key words are in the paragraphs description (though it might take me a long time to read and comprehend it).

About the only thing I can’t do it is chat rooms, well I could but I would sound like a absolute retard without proofreading and a dictionary or it would take me forever to reply. Hell, it took about an hour to write this up (most of the “the”s in this were teh) and there are probably a few misspelled words I missed.

Most of this is moot points now though after the Playstation and games like Meta Gear Solid started coming out where most everything has a voice over.

My only question is why do you love/collect games if you didn’t derive enough enjoyment from them to complete not even one?
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I understand where the original poster is coming from to a degree. My best friend loves video games. She's TERRIBLE at them, but she loves them. I'm great at them, though, and when she comes over to visit, she literally enjoys watching me play them. She's an introverted, but emotional person, so she sort of quietly lives vicariously through me and experiences the adventure alongside me, even if shes' not the one controlling the characters. One time I was fighting a tricky boss in Star Tropics and she SCREAMED as I narrowly avoided a projectile (I was one hit from dying) and celebrated when I beat the boss anyway. Having a friend there to cheer you on and experience it with you can really enhance the experience.

How did you get into collecting if you seldom even play games? Was it solely for your girlfriend? Collecting is such an expansive, expensive, exhausting hobby. I only do it because I want to have every SNES game, not because I like the collecting itself.
    Last edited by Informationator; 12-15-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Informationator View Post
    My best friend loves video games. She's TERRIBLE at them, but she loves them. I'm great at them, though, and when she comes over to visit, she literally enjoys watching me play them. She's an introverted, but emotional person, so she sort of quietly lives vicariously through me and experiences the adventure alongside me, even if shes' not the one controlling the characters. One time I was fighting a tricky boss in Star Tropics and she SCREAMED as I narrowly avoided a projectile (I was one hit from dying) and celebrated when I beat the boss anyway. Having a friend there to cheer you on and experience it with you can really enhance the experience.
    I can understand something like this (I enjoy watching someone play a game almost as much as playing myself) but I have a feeling that your friend doesn’t collect games and wouldn’t consider herself a collector of games (she might have a few games but nothing that would be considered a collection in the way we use the word).
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV