Thread: What is a good price for a used PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is a good price for a used PS3?

Original/Slim, 40GB-320GB, with or without controller, backwards compatible or not, etc... What would be a good price for a used PS3 on eBay (or anywhere)? Does the PS3 have any kind of Xbox 360 red ring of death-type problem that I should be weary of? Is there any improvement or step backwards other than backwards compatibility with the PS2 that I should be concerned with? Finally, is this even a "good" time to buy a used PS3 or is there talk of an imminent price drop around the corner?

Thanks for the shared expertise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Fat ps3 models fans are a bit more noisy than the slims, and are alot less reliable (higher failure rate). Sometimes ps3's get a heatsink issue, which results in a Yellow Light of Death, but it is nowhere near as common as the RROD. The oldest ps3 models have 4 usb ports in the front and some other readers like an SD card reader and a MicroSD reader, but this additions were scrapped in later models along with backwards compatibility to help cut costs. People usually consider the 80gb model to be superior because it has all the features that were included with original ps3s.

It really depends on what you will be using your ps3 for. Do you want a fat model that is slightly more expensive for backwards comp and a few readers, or do you want a slim model which takes up less space, is quieter,and is more reliable?

Typically you can find fat ps3s in the price range of $160-$260 (depending on the model). The 40gb model usually is less because it has the least features (not back comp, 2 usb slots instead of 4, no card readers) and the 80gb are typically the priciest because of back comp. Slims are easier to find and typically go from $160-$220(used).

I'd say now is as good a time as ever to get a ps3, we're getting a crapload of exclusives and because the ps3 is so powerful it holds value well. I got my ps3 by posting an ad on craigslist asking to trade my 360 for a ps3. Somebody traded even though 360s are alot cheaper then ps3s now (probably because of the lack of bluray). Hope that helps!

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is a good price for a used PS3?

When my 80G bc took a dump and too expensive and unable to fix, picked up a slim 120G with a warranty from a pawn shop I deal with for $185. It's been running fine going on a year with no problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Original/Slim, 40GB-320GB, with or without controller, backwards compatible or not, etc... What would be a good price for a used PS3 on eBay (or anywhere)? Does the PS3 have any kind of Xbox 360 red ring of death-type problem that I should be weary of? Is there any improvement or step backwards other than backwards compatibility with the PS2 that I should be concerned with? Finally, is this even a "good" time to buy a used PS3 or is there talk of an imminent price drop around the corner?

Thanks for the shared expertise.
    I would hold out for boxing week sales and/or bundles on new units and see what deals are out there, but I would say around $200 would be a good price for a used PS3 w/ a warranty of course. I would recommend going with any of the slim models. The failure rate of the PS3 is nothing close to the 360. The only PS3's that are BC are the original launch 20GB and 60GB models.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 12-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Some things to note if you're in the market for a used PS3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...del_comparison

20 Gig fat PS3s have no built-in WiFi.

20 & 60 Gig fat PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2 software via physical hardware in the unit.

Some 80 Gig fat PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2 software via partial software emulation. (The MGS 4 gun-metal PS3 is the last unit to ship with that functionality.)

I'd say that if you're not set on having PS2 compatibility, go for a slim with a decent HDD size and don't pay over $200 unless it includes at least one Dual Shock 3.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I recently swapped an 80GB BC-compat PS3 with a DualShock 3 controller for a 360 slim with 2 controllers.

$200 is a fair price on those units, as well as newer ones.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all of the help, gang!