Thread: Original Famicom cleaning / troubleshooting

GET READY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Original Famicom cleaning / troubleshooting

Recently, I purchased a Famicom console online. It had arrived in the mail today and, using my Sega Genesis power adapter and my SNES rf adapter, I hooked the system up. However, no matter how much I tilt the cartridge, or clean it, the system just doesn't want to play it. All I'm getting is a grey screen and the occasional dark brownish screen. I'm starting to suspect the Famicom itself is at fault, more than likely in the 60-pin connector. If this is the case, can anyone recommend me a technique for cleaning the pin connector? I would be grateful in return.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since ur using an RF, I bet you have it on channel 3 or 4......channel must be set in the high 90s for famicom like 94, 96, etc...try them all until it comes on. and if that doesnt work try EVERY channel depending on the tv it will come in on the 30 40s or 60s sometime. Famicomworld.com has a great section for all types of info and their forums is incredibly helpful.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 12-24-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    since ur using an RF, I bet you have it on channel 3 or 4......channel must be set in the high 90s for famicom like 94, 96, etc...try them all until it comes on. and if that doesnt work try EVERY channel depending on the tv it will come in on the 30 40s or 60s sometime. Famicomworld.com has a great section for all types of info and their forums is incredibly helpful.
    Although I had the Famicom already on channel 96 (the console was set on the 2), I went through all of my channels anyway, but to no avail. Would cleaning be the better option here?

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can try cleaning the connector with a dry Q tip just to see if any dirt comes up, if so then use a small amount of isopropyl on a qtip to clean it. You may need to open it and see if any capacitors, etc.. are fried...You happen to know What production model Famicom is it (should say on the bottom of the console, or inside on the board)? If its an early production then chances are something is fried....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    You can try cleaning the connector with a dry Q tip just to see if any dirt comes up, if so then use a small amount of isopropyl on a qtip to clean it. You may need to open it and see if any capacitors, etc.. are fried...You happen to know What production model Famicom is it (should say on the bottom of the console, or inside on the board)? If its an early production then chances are something is fried....
    Well, if it's of any help, the serial number on the bottom of the unit is "H14685884". Again, I don't know if it will help any, but that's what it says.