Thread: Retro Duo Portable - RDP 2 in 1 Portable System

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Also, I'll point out that for the descriptions, all five languages on the box for the adapter are English.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buzz_n64

Buzz, I'm having trouble figuring out your post about issues as you retroactively edited it. So are you saying most of the games had *no* graphical issues on your HDTV? I'm still ....waiting....for my retrogen adapter to ship. I think Paige said it would ship tomorrow.

I bought my first two Genesis games ever - X-Men 2 and Jurassic Park - really hoping they play well via this adapter. Because I love those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Those two should play no problem, but its questionable at best if X-Men will be beatable with the RetroGen. I doubt the SNES reset button will act as the Genesis one. It's more likely that it'll only react to the power switch.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Buzz, I'm having trouble figuring out your post about issues as you retroactively edited it. So are you saying most of the games had *no* graphical issues on your HDTV? I'm still ....waiting....for my retrogen adapter to ship. I think Paige said it would ship tomorrow.
    Correct, only had graphical issues with my standard definition tv. No issues with the HDTV as in regards to picture quality.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default huh

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Correct, only had graphical issues with my standard definition tv. No issues with the HDTV as in regards to picture quality.
    interesting. well, i can't wait to get this thing. I've never actually owned a Genesis (did I already say that?), so I'm really curious to see how this clone lives up to my memory of playing at a friend's house.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for those of you interested in how the RDP (probably) compares to the Supaboy, my Pokefami DX arrived today (first one in the US, woot?). Take a look at my initial reactions in the Supaboy thread. (pssst...the The PDX/RDP is a much better device!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    interesting. well, i can't wait to get this thing. I've never actually owned a Genesis (did I already say that?), so I'm really curious to see how this clone lives up to my memory of playing at a friend's house.

And speaking of things arriving, Das Cheap! actually just got an early limited supply of the Retro Duo Portable in Black in stock as of this post. The official release is set for the end of February, however there was a small shipment secured for the RDP in black right now. So, anyone that Preorderd the Black will receive shipment, as for the Red, it still is slated for late Feb.

There's only so many available, so I expect them to sell out in less than 2 days! So get these while you can before anyone else, because from the looks of this, even the second shipment will sell out fast as well and be gone for quite some time.

So now, I can play classic games and watch the Super Bowl at the same time!
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy the Genesis Converter from Das Cheap, but the postman deliver incorrectly my adapter to another address in another city. Where I can claim my order?
    Last edited by Cryog; 01-24-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Any word on when Dascheap will have the standalone NES adapters Old_Skool_Fool?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryog View Post
    I buy the Genesis Converter from Das Cheap, but the postman deliver incorrectly my adapter to another address in another city. Where I can claim my order?

Not really sure on that one. If you are in PR, then you are going to have to contact your local postal hub. Check with CS on the address in your account, and if it's correct then call your local USPS office and they should give you a little more guidance on the whereabouts. Sometimes, USPS may divert your package to another location/hub before delivering to your originating address.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No disrespect to Oldskoolfool but anyone who buys this item before the reviews are out is repeating the same mistake most of us made with the Supaboy. From the only review we've had this item does not match the Pokefami DX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

What review is that?

I've ordered mine and am currently awaiting it to be deleivered. When it arrives, I'll be sure to put it throughly through its paces. I remain hopeful the NES comptaibility will be as high, if not higher than the standalone RetroDuo. SNES compatibility is nice too of course, but I'm mainly interested for the NES factor.

FWI for fellow Canadians who want to buy from DasCheap:

Dascheap makes you jump through A LOT of hoops before you can order anything. It's not enough to give them your creditcard information - they wanted me to print out and then sign an authorization form and submit copies of my driver's license or passport. I refused to do that and they just let it go after filling in all the regular fields and then also having a copy of my signature and phone number and all kinds of other info, including the phone number for my creditcard provider. I don't get why DasCheap needs so much damn information on file to curb fraud.

Shipping come to a little over $30 USD. DasCheap is anything but "Cheap" for Canadians.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    What review is that?
    The short review on Engadget that was linked a few pages ago in this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Well, I don't entirely trust that they knew what they were talking about. That's just their impressions of it in a noisy tradeshow. Nothing can be really ruled out until us gamers get our hands on it and are able to put it through a battery of tests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    The short review on Engadget that was linked a few pages ago in this thread.
    The worst review of all ...
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryog View Post
    The worst review of all ...
    Agreed on all of this. I am quite fond of the Pokefami DX and am reasonably certain they're the same system, but we won't know until we know. The Pokefami DX is, in most regards, miles beyond the "current" competition, but it isn't perfect. If the RDP can fix the 1 major issue I think the system has (flickering screen when using built-in speakers), then it's gonna be the winner.

I'm trying to order a red RDP from DasCheap right now, but am having issues with trying to pay with Paypal (the site formatting goes all wonky), and they won't ship it to my work address if I pay with my debit card. I'm hoping this all gets resolved soon so I can place my order and be done with it, but for those in the US looking for an RDP now, there's a seller on Amazon selling them for only a few dollars more than DC (after shipping, no tax in California, etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Duo-Port...7690916&sr=1-2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What review is that?

I've ordered mine and am currently awaiting it to be deleivered. When it arrives, I'll be sure to put it throughly through its paces. I remain hopeful the NES comptaibility will be as high, if not higher than the standalone RetroDuo. SNES compatibility is nice too of course, but I'm mainly interested for the NES factor.

FWI for fellow Canadians who want to buy from DasCheap:

Dascheap makes you jump through A LOT of hoops before you can order anything. It's not enough to give them your creditcard information - they wanted me to print out and then sign an authorization form and submit copies of my driver's license or passport. I refused to do that and they just let it go after filling in all the regular fields and then also having a copy of my signature and phone number and all kinds of other info, including the phone number for my creditcard provider. I don't get why DasCheap needs so much damn information on file to curb fraud.

Shipping come to a little over $30 USD. DasCheap is anything but "Cheap" for Canadians.

It's very natural to ask to verify your identity when making a purchase. Like I said earlier, they are very strict and I'm glad because they have caught quite a few perpetrators that order fraudulently. Don't take it the wrong way guys, I don't think you have bad intentions, however CS does not know who you are! And any order over a $100 will be verified in this fashion.

Once again, I had mentioned that the credit card phone number is required (as is being adopted by even larger sites for verification purposes) in order to verify your information with the bank...EVEN MORE SO WITH INTERNATIONAL CARDS.

I hate to be that guy, but I go to 7-11 5 blocks from my house and when I use a debit check or credit card and BUY AN ICE CREAM SANDWICH, the clerk asks me to see my ID to match up with my card. And that's for $3.00!!!

So now case in point where some company is taking a risk on making a whole 10% on a $90 product and you tell me if it's a good idea to take steps to secure the customer and the company or just "push it through" because many sites don't care as much and will just "let it go".... Especially when at the drop of a phone call the company can lose the products and the purchase price...All just because you didn't want to put the phone number to a bank you already gave the CC number to.

And as for shipping, RESPECTABLE Shipping services cost real money. Many people on Amazon use "media mail fraudulently" and is ONLY FOR BOOKS. Nothing else, and is super slow, no tracking and is subject to opening if the US Postal service feels that the company or person sending is misusing the service for something other than printed matter.

So yes, when you are an international customer, the rates are calculated in real time via a USPS API direct from the OFFICIAL Methods of shipment. As it turns out, many have been spoiled from the days of undercutting shipping through service misuse. Das Cheap doesn't cut back on where it counts...and that's service, and shipment.

Just so you know, as of 3 weeks ago, UPS & FEdex have raised their rates. It's the cost of the times...peeps...Movies don't cost $5.00 and gas isn't $2.50 a gallon and now a small dish of ice cream costs $5.75... So yes, the price is the real price to get things done.

Overall the Black RDPs are in stock currently and from what I hear will sell out soon. And once you have a "verified account", through having correct and verifiable info, then you won't have to worry about future orders being sent with any type of "hoop jumping".

If anyone has any questions, once again they can hit me up directly.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I want one of these, but I'm hesitant. Especially since the first few Supaboys to come out were really prototype units that didn't work well...

But like I said, I will get one if the reviews are good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

well keep in mind that the two products are produced by two different companies. Hyperkin's problems with the Supaboy have nothing to with any potential shortcomings the RetroDuo Portable may have.

It's like saying you're hesitant to buy a Playstation 3 because of the Xbox 360's RROD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's like saying you're hesitant to buy a Playstation 3 because of the Xbox 360's RROD.
    YLOD says wassup.