Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Retro Duo Portable - RDP 2 in 1 Portable System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    What he's saying is that had these been cheapy novelties then the problems wouldn't be much of an issue but for the price they're actually charging people should be able to expect the hardware to be mostly problem-free. Incompatibility issues with some games aren't even the real problem. But when they're charging nearly $100 for something, there's no excuse for consistent audio problems and reversing controls. I don't mind paying $100 for an SNES portable. But if I'm going to shell that out the thing better work right.
    Exactly.
    The problems present in these clones are inexcusable for a finished product at that price point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    So, I take it that the RDP uses actual SNES controller inputs, or does it use proprietary controllers that you opened and did wire traces to the button maps?
    Uhhh what? the RDP uses a bridge connector that allows you to use any 7-pin SNES controller with it. The Controllers it comes with are standard 7-pin SNES style controllers that work with anything that has a SNES connection.

Actually, I see that the unit has a mini USB controller adapter.
    Not quite. Its a proprietary connector slightly different from USB. It allows you to use any two 7-pin SNES controllers.

So, does this effect using REAL SNES pads on SNES games, or just real SNES pads on NES games where the Y doesn't function?
    No; NES B and A being mapped the SNES B and A only affects the NES adapter. In SNES mode, all of the standart SNES buttons are mapped correctly. This is only an NES issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Choses View Post
    I tried Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, and the screen was perfect. I wonder why your RDP has a problem with that.
    I've since discovered you have to really force your cartridges into position before hitting the power switch. I find it helps to physically hold the game cartridge in place when I power it on to ensure the wavy line issues don't occur. I'll explain what I mean when I do a video review this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Exactly.
    The problems present in these clones are inexcusable for a finished product at that price point.
    This is just the nature of clones from China. The parts supplies DO NOT CARE. Yelling at Hyperkin/Retrobit/Yobo or whatever is somewhat of a wasted effort. You really should be yelling at Shenzhen Qi Sheng Long as they're the ones who actually produce 90% of all these clones.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must defeat Shenzhen Qi Sheng Long to stand a chance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's still ultimately their fault. If they can't get decent suppliers, they shouldn't be doing this in the first place. It's no excuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks like if I have the Money, I'll get the Supaboy with the RetroGen Adapter..

I'm just waiting for Satoshi_Matrix review this weekend

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's still ultimately their fault. If they can't get decent suppliers, they shouldn't be doing this in the first place. It's no excuse.
    Or at least be more up front about it. I mean, I get it. Clones have problems. Anybody that adamant about perfection should use original hardware. Fair enough. But I've read a bunch of old threads and it seems like a game. Some new clone comes out, the sellers paint it as superior to the competition, they're light on the actual details until release, the potential buyers get excited, then people actually get the thing and notice problems. Is there really ANY reason why people weren't allowed to know about the controller actually reversing itself until after they bought the thing?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Looks like if I have the Money, I'll get the Supaboy with the RetroGen Adapter..

Yeah, I love Satoshi Matrix's reviews...... hopefully he'll do a video review like he did with the Supaboy *wink* *wink*

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post

I'm just simply playing it and finding that the dpad just doesn't respond when you roll and shoot. The Supaboy has this issue too, but with the supaboy the controls just simply lock up and refuse to do anything. - on the RDP, they reverse! So for instance, if your flying down right and the controls lock up, you start flying up and to the left even while you hold down the dpad in the complete other direction. The only way to fix this is to let go of the dpad completely and resume. I've confirmed this occurs with Super R-Type, Axelay, UN Squardron and Gokujou Parodius so far. It likely effects ALL shooters, but I haven't been able to confirm this or not. You can just use an SNES controller or one of the two controllers the system comes with to get around this, but just like the Supaboy, this thing is suppose to be portable. Imagine if you couldn't use the dpad on the PSP and instead had to use some sort of controller coming out the USB port or something. It's ridiculous.

The dpad problem sounds like a major issue and possibly a deal breaker for me since I usually only focus on shooters and fighting games. I saw your excellent review on the Supaboy which was the main reason why I held off on the Supaboy. I would imagine that there are issues with the Street Fighter controls on the RDP as well? Do certain moves or combos lock up or can't easily be performed? Maybe you could possibly elaborate more on the Street Fighter control problem if you have the time.

I'm really looking forward to your RDP review.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    You must defeat Shenzhen Qi Sheng Long to stand a chance!
    lol truer words have never been spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex4096 View Post
    Yeah, I love Satoshi Matrix's reviews...... hopefully he'll do a video review like he did with the Supaboy *wink* *wink*
    Thanks for your support guys! I actually want to make this my 500th Subscriber Special - As of this post, I'm currently setting at 492 subscribers. I'd like to actually make that number 500 before posting the full video review filled with many things I've only scratched the surface on here.

So as much as I hate shameless self promition.....time for some shameless self premotion! If you guys haven't yet, please subscribe to my channel. I post tech reviews all the time showing off unusual controllers, adapters and hardware. If you want the scoop on weird imported Japanese controllers or want more info on a particular Famiclone, this is the place for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoshiMatrix1

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Or at least be more up front about it. I mean, I get it. Clones have problems. Anybody that adamant about perfection should use original hardware. Fair enough. But I've read a bunch of old threads and it seems like a game. Some new clone comes out, the sellers paint it as superior to the competition, they're light on the actual details until release, the potential buyers get excited, then people actually get the thing and notice problems. Is there really ANY reason why people weren't allowed to know about the controller actually reversing itself until after they bought the thing?
    As much as it sucks, it sort of makes sense from a marketing point of view. They make a product and want to hide its flaws to the consumer. Its up to consumer reports to reveal the truth. Think of really anything - videogames, movies, whatever. The developers come out with the game or film and they don't tell you what they produced is a pile of garbage even if that IS the case. It's up to reviewers to do that. I'm saying its right, but its not like clone makers are special or unique in any way. Just saying.

Also remember that my comments about the dpad only applies to the build-in dpad. The Supaboy has the same issues with its built in dpad but in its case the controls just freeze until you release the dpad. The RDP allows you to use the dongle and attach real controllers or the excellent included ones to play your games on the go. The sytem comes with a nice little stand that allows it to be set up on a table or desk or whatever and you can play with the controller. It might not be ideal for a portable device but its serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by csgx1 View Post
    The dpad problem sounds like a major issue and possibly a deal breaker for me since I usually only focus on shooters and fighting games. I saw your excellent review on the Supaboy which was the main reason why I held off on the Supaboy. I would imagine that there are issues with the Street Fighter controls on the RDP as well? Do certain moves or combos lock up or can't easily be performed? Maybe you could possibly elaborate more on the Street Fighter control problem if you have the time.

I'm really looking forward to your RDP review.
    Again keep in mind my comments about the dpad only are about the system's built-in dad. It does come with a controlelr adapter to use real SNES controllers as well as two of its own controllers which are absolutely fantastic. Not enough things can be said about the included controllers. But if you are concerned about Fighters, don't worry. Super Street Fighter II plays perfect on the RDP. The dpad is very quick and responsive. My problems with the dpad going haywire only seem to affect shumps. On the RDP controls I can fire off hidokens, cannon drills and shoryukens as easy as pie.

Thank you for your support! I'll have a review up as soon as I hit 500 subs. Only eight to go!

Big announcement!

With the help of Ace and my good friend Emiliano, I've discovered that you CAN get Castlevania III to work on the RDP! It involves wiring a NAND gate or a NOT gate (I used a NOT gate) across pins 65 and 58 invert the A13 output. All you need to do is wire a NAND or NOT gate between these two pins and then apply 5v and a source of ground. In my case, I stole 5v from pin 36 and ground from pin 72. Wired it all up and sure enough, completely playable CV3! The audio is still messed up for it and certain other games, so there still needs to be some sort of fix for that.

I should also mention that audio issues for NES games are NOT universal. Some NES games sound completely fine when you play them on the RDP through the build-in speakers. For example, Megaman 2, Megaman 3, Castlevania 1, Metroid, and even Action 52 all sound completely normal. Its only when you plug in headphones that nasty things start to occur with the audio.

Anyway that'll be it for now! Again, please keep an eye on my youtube channel as I'll have new stuff coming tomorrow.

While I think of it, one more question for Oldskoolfool if he's lurking -

What the heck happened to the announced NES retroport with AV output? I want to be able to use the NES thing on my SNES without the aid of the TriStar!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As much as it sucks, it sort of makes sense from a marketing point of view. They make a product and want to hide its flaws to the consumer.
    Of course I understand that. Except what happens is that you lose people's goodwill after a while. You keep it up and nobody is going to trust you when you're trying to sell your third or fourth product and everybody starts doing what Frankie said and wait for a fixed revision. So just do it right the first time and be done with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What the heck happened to the announced NES retroport with AV output? I want to be able to use the NES thing on my SNES without the aid of the TriStar!
    I look for the Retroport everyday on almost every site that comes to mind and I've seen and heard nothing...... however yesterday I noticed on Innex's website that it's on sale on Innex's site, but only for wholesalers. I would expect it to be out in a week or two . Oh, and I would subscribe to your channel, but I subscribed a few weeks ago XD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

got a link? I'd like to check that out myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

got a link? I'd like to check that out myself.
    http://www.innexinc.com/product_deta...rch&page_num=0

Here ya go.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just remember that the Supaboy didn't display anything on its built in screen with the Japanese version of these adapters, so it's not likely it will do that with the US versions either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Just remember that the Supaboy didn't display anything on its built in screen with the Japanese version of these adapters, so it's not likely it will do that with the US versions either.
    I can confirm that the Supaboy doesn't display anything on the screen when using the Retrogen.... the audio you can hear though, but what's the point of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The same is true with the NES adapter that the RDP comes with. You can put it into an SNES and sound will be output through the tv and controls are mapped to the SNES pad, but you won't able to see anything. Hence the "only compatible with RDP crap they put on the back. I wonder if this can be modified?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tried Gradius I & III, and Zelda ALttP. Moving diagonaly is not always easy, and it will sometimes move in the opposite direction like you said. I don't really like the Dpad, and the ABXY buttons are too far from each other. I will mostly play with the controllers !
    That really turns me off

How about games like Street Fighter 2 Turbo??

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I think I am going to cancel my RDP pre-order. Honestly, the only reason I had it ordered to begin with was that I wanted to compare it to the Pokefami DX, and possibly swap out the screens because of my 1 stuck pixel...but I don't even notice it while I'm playing, so I guess, what's the point?

I've been sampling shmups all morning - Gradius III, R-Type 3, and Rendering Ranger. Zero problems with diagonals. Here's a short video demonstrating this. Note my 7-year-old nephew is recording for me and provides brief narration. (also my 9 year old nephew is playing Kingdom Hearts BBS, so that is why you're hearing "huh! ha! huh! ha!")

Satoshi_Matrix, I'll get the Sonic video recorded tomorrow when I'm not babysitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwq3jdC3Mc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I dont have Street Fighter II Turbo, but I do have Super Street Fighter II. It plays perfectly fine with the built in dpad. Fighting games are a non-issue.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI, I've cancelled my pre-order for this. Sorry I won't be able to make any direct comparisons between this and the PDX, but I've spent several hundreds dollars on games in the past week and am planning on picking up an FDS next week...so this has to go on the back burner for now.
    Still looking forward to Satoshi_Matrix's review!