Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Duo Portable - RDP 2 in 1 Portable System

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Fool View Post
    Ok, everyone. The first official review has been posted. I also have gotten word that the initial release will be very limited, so Preorders have started for the unit as of this post. You can preorder both the RDP Matte Black & the Retro Duo Portable Red.

Right now for a limited time, if you watch the first video review, you will get a special discount code for Free Shipping on the unit (Sorry it only applies to US Residents). Just heed once again, that once they sell out, they will be out for a very good while.

The ship date is estimated at Beginning/Mid February.

Well, I'm off to CES, and I'll try to answer any questions if I have the answers, during the times that I'm not fielding the show.
    Where was the review posted? If it's meant to show up in your post, I'm not seeing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If this retro-adapter thing works (high compatibility, sound, video, colors, etc etc) ....

Then it's an easy, "inexpensive" way to play NES games in s-video or RGB via the SNES' video capabilities right??!!

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Yes, by all means, PLEASE let us know of Castlevania 3 works.

I also am wondering if the Retro Duo Portable has the SNES guidance tabs. if it does, then Super Famicom games won't fit. The camera almost showed the cart slot, but not enough to see for sure. Please let us know if Super Famicom games fit inside the RDP.
    Yes, Super Famicom games will work, as well as PAL. However we currently only tested 1 PAL game. And we also tested Star Ocean, and it worked.
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    If this retro-adapter thing works (high compatibility, sound, video, colors, etc etc) ....

Then it's an easy, "inexpensive" way to play NES games in s-video or RGB via the SNES' video capabilities right??!!

That's what I thought, but I guess it turns out this isn't the case? I think because I haven't personally seen them or had any hands-on time with them, I'm at a disadvantage to speak. In looking at some of the images and promotional material for the separately available adapters already available in Japan, they all seem to include their own A/V cables, which implies that while they use the console they are plugged into for power and controller input, they don't use the console's A/V output. Honestly, though, I am a bit confused.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

cool i thought starocean would work cuss it worked in both my retroduo 2.0 and retron3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New video of the pokeFAMI DX / Retro Duo Portable .... sorry, but is the same thing !!!!

pokeFAMI DX 動作テスト&Supaboy比較
    Last edited by Cryog; 01-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryog View Post
    sorry, but is the same thing !!!!
    How so? And, if that were to be the case, does that mean it's flawed in some way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Fool View Post
    I can honestly say it's not the "PokeFamiDX". Yes, the clones have been all the rage now in portable. However I can say that this is an original product. Unlike the Supaboy or the FC16 which has pretty much had asian versions of themselves before arriving here in the states.
    Now you understand my comment? But do not misunderstand me. I want this console.
    Last edited by Cryog; 01-08-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, I don't. He says it's not the same as the PokeFamiDX and you just said it is. Are you saying it's the same internals in a new shell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post

Sadly, no. Again, NOACs are incapable of S-video or RGB. Even using the SNES as a passthrough, the most you'll get is composite. An s-video ready NES would take quite some doing, which no clone maker will ever do as it'd be complicated and expensive. Those who make clones like easy and cheap.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    No, I don't. He says it's not the same as the PokeFamiDX and you just said it is. Are you saying it's the same internals in a new shell?
    Yes, they have the same internals circuits in a different shell. The Retro Duo Portable is the american version of the pokeFAMI DX.

Super Famicom and the Super NES .... same machine, different shell. The same example.
    Last edited by Cryog; 01-08-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What about the AV Out? Do you have to plug the cable into the adapter rather than the system like the PokeFamiDX when you use the NES/Genesis adapters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryog View Post
    Yes, they have the same internals circuits in a different shell. The Retro Duo Portable is the american version of the pokeFAMI DX.
    Then I'm going to ask if he can clarify what he means when he says it isn't the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yes. I have my doubts as well that the RetroDuo Portable and the PokeFami DX aren't related. If they aren't, that actually worries me seeing as how the PokeFami DX looks to be pretty excellent.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I saw the video of the RDP posted above, and I just have to say...this thing has got to be the stupidest and most awkward and idiotic portable I've ever seen. If even one single person ends up buying this piece of circuit garbage, then it truly means the retro gaming community has reached the lowest of lows. It's a piece of crap....and I just don't understand why any sane intelligent person would purchase such sewage.

I couldn't stop laughing the entire time I viewed the video clip. An adapter to play NES games that makes the damned thing bigger than the original NES system itself. And this is supposed to somehow be a portable???? What the f*ck were these guys thinking when they developed this? Just a bunch of idiocy...and yet...I know sooo many morons out there are going to flock to this thing like they do to every other damned thing related to nintendo. Seriously, can we stop with all this portable crap.

I'm going to say it once and only once. NES games were meant to be played on an NES system. SNES games on a SNES system. That's it. It's pretty simple. So everyone stop jumping on all these portable's nuts....they're all a bunch of crap....end of story.

thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

so are u saying screw this and just use your psp or any other device with roms and emus? cuss the point is u can take your original game not a copy with u to play your favorite game!!!! and the other reason is not everyone can play there fave game at home, like me i have to go to grandmas sometimes after work and most of my console systems u guessed it is @ home. sure it's bulky but it certainly open the gate to other adapters being made not just for the rdp but like genesis on the snes wow and nes on snes but also a famicom adapter(japanese nes not snes) and if u don't like this product buzz off cuss i would like to finish final fantasy 2 on the go!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

MyTurnToPlay, please leave this thread. If you don't have any interest in clones, then don't buy them. The rest of us eagerly await the release and more details about the RDP. I enjoy them and I think the same goes for everyone else reading this. If you don't like them that's fine. Just leave.

Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I kind of have to agree to a point.

From the video the controllers look like cheap crap, though they usually are. The system itself seems like a decent portable SNES. I can see MyTurnToPlay's point when he pulled out the NES adapter. You can't really call that a portable anymore at that point. I can't agree on any other level though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm eager to see independent reviews on this thing. The whole NES adapter thing really looks idiotic, but I'm more interested in the SNES portion anyway. Supaboy is off my radar what with all the sound issues and the FC 16 Go stinks as a portable. Here's hoping this one gets the portable part right.