Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Duo Portable - RDP 2 in 1 Portable System

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read that article, and not sure where that opinion really lies. Scanlines?? I didn't see any scan lines. Not to mention the system feels weighted and solid. The controllers are really the ones that feel lighter.

Anyways, here is the pre-review of the Retrogen Adapter

Also, we've just received the Retrogen Adapters with the AV cable for sale and are available now. They actually came earlier than expected, so anyone who wants one can order one now.

I'm really impressed with this little thing. I'll be doing a more in-depth review shortly on the compatibility/performance.

Though keep in mind, I do have limited access to the games so I suggest picking one up since they are fairly cheap and testing it out for yourself.
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They called the Supa Boy "Supra Boy' multiple times and claim that the NES adapter can be used in any SFC/SNES console or clone
    I get the impression that they really don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Old Skool Fool, when do you expect to have the self contained NES pin adapters in stock? I'm more interested in the NES adapter that will work on a real SNES than I am the Genesis adapter.

Thanks for posting that CES interview, and while I'm mostly with you, when you say things like

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Fool View Post
    keep in mind, I do have limited access to the games so I suggest picking one up since they are fairly cheap and testing it out for yourself.
    It makes those of us leery of compatibility in clones to begin with not trust anything you say. As much as I'd like to have faith in you as something other than a PR guy, its hard to take a statement like that as anything other than a ham-fisted marketing speech.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    They called the Supa Boy "Supra Boy' multiple times and claim that the NES adapter can be used in any SFC/SNES console or clone
    I get the impression that they really don't know what the hell they're talking about.
    This urked me too. It's like oldschoolfool was deliberately misnaming the Supaboy as to insult it by saying "oh that thing sucks so much I'm not even going to bother to call it by its real name".

On the second point, You're obviously confused. There will be TWO NES adapters made by RetroBit. One will come with the RDP, one will not. The one that will come with the RDP is a simple pin adapter that does not have AV output directly and does not contain a NOAC. This version is exclusively for the RDP with its on-board NOAC.

On the other hand, the other NES adapter WILL have a NOAC and AV ports and work with all original hardware. It is currently unknown if this NOAC will be any different from the one found in the RPD, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say not.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'm buying this adapter now! Thanks!
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 01-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    That's still currently unknown. According to Old_Skool_Fool the PokeFami DX and the RetroDuo Portable are not the same, but I don't entirely believe him. The Chinese clone market is incestuous. The NeoFami was released by Yobo as the FC Game Console and is now being sold by RetroBit as the Retorn1. Other than the name and perhaps the casing, its the same system. I wouldn't be surprised if the PokeFami DX and RDP are both being made by Shenzhen Qi Sheng Long.

It makes sense that the PokeFami DX is the Japanese/Asian version of the upcoming RetroDuo Portable, but it's impossible to say for sure until someone does a side-by-side comparison.
    If someone wants to open up their RDP when it arrives, I can open my Pokefami DX, which should be here soon, and we can compare the insides. But I find it highly unlikely that they are not the exact same unit, other than cosmetic differences. The buttons are spaced the same, the dpads are exactly the same, as is the reset/contrast button, the controller adaptor, the stand...who do they think they're fooling?

I appreciate old skool fool's enthusiasm, but honestly is a better policy than hucksterism. Depending on how things shape up as more of us receive PDX's, the RDP may be a much better option for someone looking for an alternative to the Supaboy...you're looking at a $50 price difference after importing the PDX.

Also, I may pick up an RDP at some point, simply because the red color reminds me of the orange Sharp Twin Famicoms. Mmmm. If I do end up doing this, you can bet I'll be verifying whether these are the same units.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see the point of the other NES adapter. If it needs it's own AV cables, then all it's really doing is taking power and controller input from the other console. It's only marginally more convenient than just having a separate console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the second point, You're obviously confused. There will be TWO NES adapters made by RetroBit. One will come with the RDP, one will not. The one that will come with the RDP is a simple pin adapter that does not have AV output directly and does not contain a NOAC. This version is exclusively for the RDP with its on-board NOAC.
    I'm not the one who's confused. That's actually what the article claims, which as we both know is false.

NES games are shoehorned in by using an included RetoPort adapter, which lets any compatible console boot its predecessor's cartridges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh sorry, you're right. the preview is wrong on that point.

the "point" of the standalone NES adapter with the av output is to play NES games on your existing SNES if say, you don't want to buy any clones. I'll be buying one because I love interesting Famiclones.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Old Skool Fool, when do you expect to have the self contained NES pin adapters in stock? I'm more interested in the NES adapter that will work on a real SNES than I am the Genesis adapter.

Thanks for posting that CES interview, and while I'm mostly with you, when you say things like

It makes those of us leery of compatibility in clones to begin with not trust anything you say. As much as I'd like to have faith in you as something other than a PR guy, its hard to take a statement like that as anything other than a ham-fisted marketing speech.

This urked me too. It's like oldschoolfool was deliberately misnaming the Supaboy as to insult it by saying "oh that thing sucks so much I'm not even going to bother to call it by its real name".

On the other hand, the other NES adapter WILL have a NOAC and AV ports and work with all original hardware. It is currently unknown if this NOAC will be any different from the one found in the RPD, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say not.

Stop picking on the accent guys. Old SKool Fool knows the name of the product, I knew it before it was even launched. I've been doing game journalism for 7+ years. If the ol' accent twists things up, then so be it..lol

On the other note, if we cover and review products it's only natural that we suggest the opportunity to purchase. It's how we are able to continue to produce these things.
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on the recent article it seems the screen may not be the same as the Pokefami DX. I wish we could get confirmation on this point it's important because this is one of the winning points for the Pokefami DX over the Supa Boy.

We need more unbiased reviews coming in before committing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Alright, let's chalk up the Supra boy thing to an accent. What about the standalone NES adapter? When will dasgames have those for preorder?

I'm getting a RetroDuo Portable no matter what, but I'd like to order the adapters along with it all in one order. When I get it, you guys can expect an unbiased review from me. I already own a FC-16 GO and a Supaboy, so I can contrast the strengths and weaknesses of all three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, no, no. It's spelled SupraBay in the text of the endgadget article.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was about to order a Retrogen Adapter from Das, but then they wanted to charge almost $7 to ship, on top of CA tax. Any way to get free shipping on the Retrogen Adapter like what is being offered on the system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

welcome to what it's like to be Canadian and want to buy anything online.

but to truly understand, you need to be told by a lot of sellers they don't ship outside the US at all first.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

welcome to what it's like to be Canadian and want to buy anything online.

but to truly understand, you need to be told by a lot of sellers they don't ship outside the US at all first.
    I hear you. I have been denied so many times by sellers that won't ship to the US from Europe and Japan that I've taken to having packages shipped to our offices in Berlin and Tokyo and then having a colleague ship them to me. It's a pain in the ass. We live in a globally connected world - why restrict your chances at income by refusing to go through the trouble of international shipping?

Anyway. I guess my question's not getting answered, as old skool has disappeared again (yes, I get it, you have a job!). I really hope my Pokefami DX arrives today, so I can find out if it has similar battery life to the RDP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I look forward to your photos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't wait til your review Satoshi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    We live in a globally connected world - why restrict your chances at income by refusing to go through the trouble of international shipping?
    Because it's a fucking nightmare, that's why.
    It isn't the seller's fault that most of the world's postal systems are horrible.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Because it's a fucking nightmare, that's why.
    It isn't the seller's fault that most of the world's postal systems are horrible.
    Sweet. Hostility! I love it! (actually, I don't.)

Anyway, I pre-ordered the RDP and ordered a Retrogen Adapter from DasCheap, but so far, the experience has not been promising. The website went down immediately after I placed my order for the RDP, which seemed fishy as an authorization charge showed up on my bank account almost immediately, and when I emailed customer service to ask why I was already seeing an authorization show up for something that's not shipping for nearly a month, I was met with a vaguely hostile response.

Later, I received a flurry of auto generated emails stating that the phone number from the back of my bank card hadn't been saved to my account for the two orders I placed, even though I'd entered it several times (in both the orders and my account info/billing info)...but what gets me is that I have to put this phone number in at all, as I've never, ever had to do that for an online retailer before.

Has anyone else had any experience ordering from these guys? I'm hopeful, as I always am, that things will turn out fine, but greeting new customers with hostility is not the best way for a business that purports to be "cheaper than Amazon" (not true!) to keep new customers.

EDIT: slight update - the customer service email I received just now was pleasantly neutral - apparently I put the wrong zip code in my billing address. Still, I'd like to hear other peoples' experiences with Das, since I know I can trust you guys.
    Last edited by nusilver; 01-19-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hostility? I think you're reading more into that post than what's there.
    Even shipping across the Canada/U.S. border is usually more trouble than it's worth.