Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Duo Portable - RDP 2 in 1 Portable System

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Hostility? I think you're reading more into that post than what's there.
    Even shipping across the Canada/U.S. border is usually more trouble than it's worth.
    okay. moving on then.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So nobody here has experience with DasCheap?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Sweet. Hostility! I love it! (actually, I don't.)

Anyway, I pre-ordered the RDP and ordered a Retrogen Adapter from DasCheap, but so far, the experience has not been promising. The website went down immediately after I placed my order for the RDP, which seemed fishy as an authorization charge showed up on my bank account almost immediately, and when I emailed customer service to ask why I was already seeing an authorization show up for something that's not shipping for nearly a month, I was met with a vaguely hostile response.

Later, I received a flurry of auto generated emails stating that the phone number from the back of my bank card hadn't been saved to my account for the two orders I placed, even though I'd entered it several times (in both the orders and my account info/billing info)...but what gets me is that I have to put this phone number in at all, as I've never, ever had to do that for an online retailer before.

Has anyone else had any experience ordering from these guys? I'm hopeful, as I always am, that things will turn out fine, but greeting new customers with hostility is not the best way for a business that purports to be "cheaper than Amazon" (not true!) to keep new customers.

EDIT: slight update - the customer service email I received just now was pleasantly neutral - apparently I put the wrong zip code in my billing address. Still, I'd like to hear other peoples' experiences with Das, since I know I can trust you guys.

You have to put the phone number because it's for your safety as a customer. As online commerce becomes the norm, there is a very high risk of fraud that goes on from day to day! Actually statistically that there is about 8% of all orders daily on the net are fraudulent. So the number is there so that the CS guys/gals can call your banking institution and verify your information, including your phone number.

Das Cheap sells super cheap and are super secure so when they service the customer. I mean if you were selling a $90 product, would you want to send it out to someone not being able to confirm their information? I would feel more secure if the CS agents were calling my banking establishment to verify it was me making the purchase. So that's why they need your phone number. Also, many sites are starting to require them, it's just the nature of the beast.

Also, your card wasn't charged...You were Authorized. That checks the card to make sure it's valid and you have the funds on there. If you used a debit/check card then it may look like a "pending charge" because it takes that "authorization" from real funds as opposed to your credit line. (Unfortunately this is something that isn't explained to you by your bank). Though this is the way it's done.

If you have any questions about preorders for the unit you can contact me or CS.
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Fool View Post
    You have to put the phone number because it's for your safety as a customer. As online commerce becomes the norm, there is a very high risk of fraud that goes on from day to day! Actually statistically that there is about 8% of all orders daily on the net are fraudulent. So the number is there so that the CS guys/gals can call your banking institution and verify your information, including your phone number.

Das Cheap sells super cheap and are super secure so when they service the customer. I mean if you were selling a $90 product, would you want to send it out to someone not being able to confirm their information? I would feel more secure if the CS agents were calling my banking establishment to verify it was me making the purchase. So that's why they need your phone number. Also, many sites are starting to require them, it's just the nature of the beast.

Also, your card wasn't charged...You were Authorized. That checks the card to make sure it's valid and you have the funds on there. If you used a debit/check card then it may look like a "pending charge" because it takes that "authorization" from real funds as opposed to your credit line. (Unfortunately this is something that isn't explained to you by your bank). Though this is the way it's done.

If you have any questions about preorders for the unit you can contact me or CS.
    Hey, thanks for the info Old Skool. It seems DasCheap is having trouble verifying my actual shipping address - I work at Gracenote (a Sony company) in Emeryville, and prefer to have everything shipped here instead of home in Sacramento as I'm not there during the day to check packages. I suggested to Paige (the rep who's been emailing me - she's not the one who was hostile originally) that I re-order using my Paypal account as my work address is verified there...does that make sense? I was just about to give them a call...think I'll do that now.

Hoping to get this all sorted soon. Looking forward to receiving this stuff.

Are you going to E3 again this year? If so, I'll look for you.

Michael

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Hey, thanks for the info Old Skool. It seems DasCheap is having trouble verifying my actual shipping address - I work at Gracenote (a Sony company) in Emeryville, and prefer to have everything shipped here instead of home in Sacramento as I'm not there during the day to check packages. I suggested to Paige (the rep who's been emailing me - she's not the one who was hostile originally) that I re-order using my Paypal account as my work address is verified there...does that make sense? I was just about to give them a call...think I'll do that now.

Hoping to get this all sorted soon. Looking forward to receiving this stuff.

Are you going to E3 again this year? If so, I'll look for you.

Michael
    Okay, I got everything resolved. I'm cancelling the RDP pre-order until the authorization charge falls off my account, then re-ordering with PayPal. If anyone wants DasCheap to ship to a different address than their billing address, use PayPal and use a verified address. Problem solved, and Paige was very helpful on the phone. If you can get ahold of DasCheap by phone, do it that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

oldskoolfool, I don't mean to be rude but could you please answer my question?

Do you know when DasCheap will have the standalone NES adapters in stock? I want to order one alongside the RDP. I see the Genesis version is up, but I'm more interested in the NES adapter. Anything you can tell me is appreciated.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    oldskoolfool, I don't mean to be rude but could you please answer my question?

Do you know when DasCheap will have the standalone NES adapters in stock? I want to order one alongside the RDP. I see the Genesis version is up, but I'm more interested in the NES adapter. Anything you can tell me is appreciated.

From what I am told, the NES units should be available around the same time as the RDP itself. It's ETA is early/mid Feb. If we happen to the get the adapter units earlier (which is actually what happened with the Retrogen units), then I will be more than happy to let you guys know. You should be able to preorder the adapter in the coming days. I also let you know when preorders open up for those.
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Thanks. I just want to order them together so I'm only charged shipping once you know?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

No video issues on my HDTV.

edit- The below results occurred on my Standard definition flat screen tv
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Just got my Genesis adapter in today, and I'm having some issues so far with my SNES.

First off, yes, you do need to plug the included a/v cable into the adapter.
    2nd, as expected Virtua Racing does not work.
    First game I tried, Sonic 1 works, but has major screen scrolling issues, and I tried the different tv modes on the adapter.
    All games that work have some sort of screen distortion, at least a small scrambled bar on the top of the screen.
    Game Genie works, Mortal Kombat 3 works, Squirrel King (pirate) works, Sonic 3 works, Golden Axe II (JAP) works until the 2nd level, then screen scrolling issues, X-perts works, 4 in 1 pirate cart only boots up 1 of the 4 games and that one has screen issues as well.

I'm going to look for another a/v cable to see if it's just a cable issue.
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 01-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder if there's a screwe to open it up and see if there's a way to get Virtua Racing to run on it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

No, it's sounds like a typical clone. of course co-processor games won't work on it. It might even be incorrectly hooked up. Also the video is probably shit because the real Genesis composite is shit. What I'm curious about is audio distortion and button mapping.

buzz_n64, you said you have Mortal Kombat 3. Please go into the controls option and see what the Genesis buttons are mapped to on the SNES pad. please make us a chart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the heads up, I still buying it..

How many did you test btw??

Try Super SF2, It will work with the MD Adapter with the PokiFami DX..but on Cammy's stage the BG is messed up

Starts at 5:10

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. I just want to order them together so I'm only charged shipping once you know?
    from what i can tell, the site uses a per-item shipping. i tried to order several games with my retrogen adapter and the shipping was going to be like, $20. So I ordered the retrogen adapter by itself. You probably aren't going to get any savings ordering both together. Just FYI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I still buying it..

How many did you test btw??

Try Super SF2, It will work with the MD Adapter with the PokiFami DX..but on Cammy's stage the BG is messed up

Starts at 5:10

The background in Cammy's stage is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

No, it's sounds like a typical clone. of course co-processor games won't work on it. It might even be incorrectly hooked up. Also the video is probably shit because the real Genesis composite is shit. What I'm curious about is audio distortion and button mapping.

buzz_n64, you said you have Mortal Kombat 3. Please go into the controls option and see what the Genesis buttons are mapped to on the SNES pad. please make us a chart.
    A is the Y button, Y is the X button, Z is the right trigger, B is the B button, A is the C button, and X is the left trigger. Tested with Super Street Fighter II.
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 01-21-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

will the retroport/gen adapters work without the av ports on the cartridges and just use the internal systems(snes/snes clones) video port?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    A is the Y button, Y is the X button, Z is the right trigger, B is the B button, A is the C button, and X is the left trigger. Tested with Super Street Fighter II.
    So let me get this streight

Gen = SNES
    A = Y
    B = B
    C = A
    X = L
    Y = X
    Z = R

So for three button games, you are using the SNES Y, B and A buttons for A B and C? That's surprisingly decent.

Quote Originally Posted by zin0099 View Post
    will the retroport/gen adapters work without the av ports on the cartridges and just use the internal systems(snes/snes clones) video port?
    No. These standalone cartirdge clones will not work the av cables included. The SNES or other Super NES clone is only really being used to supply power and a control input, exactly like the TriStar/Super 8 did. the hardware is build into the cart and is completely independant of the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Gen = SNES
    A = Y
    B = B
    C = A
    X = L
    Y = X
    Z = R

So for three button games, you are using the SNES Y, B and A buttons for A B and C? That's surprisingly decent.
    Correct, it works out well. And start is start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's serviceable, but ideally, the layout would be;
    Y=gB
    B=gC
    A=gA
    since B is attack and C is jump in most Genesis games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

Gen = SNES
    A = Y
    B = B
    C = A
    X = L
    Y = X
    Z = R

No. These standalone cartirdge clones will not work the av cables included. The SNES or other Super NES clone is only really being used to supply power and a control input, exactly like the TriStar/Super 8 did. the hardware is build into the cart and is completely independant of the SNES.
    well what about the retroduo portable? is it just powering it or is it using the video cable?