Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Default CDX issue

My CDX has started rebooting games (cart, everdrive, and sega cd) within the last 2 months or so.

Previously, I had this hooked up to my TV upstairs and had no issues at all (would play Lunar for hours at a shot), and since moved it downstairs to test out homebrews on the everdrive. At first, I thought it was faulty programming that was rebooting the CDX, and left it at that. Then it did it while playing through the Everdrive on another game. Alright, so maybe it's the everdrive (I don't have a working genesis besides the CDX to troubleshoot this issue).

Last night, I decided to play Mortal Kombat (Sega CD), and when I got to the 2nd endurance match, it rebooted. Now, it doesn't do this all the time. I was able to play through Rocket Knight Adventures, and beat it (it took between 45 mins to an hour, possibly longer), with no issues. It's also not the power to my office room (my PC is hooked up, TV, and other consoles have no issues), plus it did this at my place of work (which is a power company) 2 weeks ago.

I have an official sega cdx power adapter MK-4122. My question is, do these power bricks have a tendency to go bad? I don't have a model 2 adapter to test out at the moment, and while I can program the hell out of a computer, I'm not capable of taking the CDX apart and testing things out with a multimeter.

Also, a 2nd part to this would be the battery section of the CDX. What exactly is that used for? I put 2 brand new AA batteries in, and that alone doesn't power the CDX. Should there be batteries in when the unit is plugged into the wall? Is this a sign of a failing CDX?

Thanks!
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

The batteries are to power it as a portable CD player, so you can't play games off the AA batteries.
    As for the power issues, abviously do the easy stuff... Check for a loose power input jacl, wiggle the cords... But it sounds to me like someone replaced the original fuse with one that resets itself after a few seconds, but without looking, I can't tell for sure. If that's the case, it would seem something more is wrong, but I'd start by replacing that fuse (sorry, I know you don't know how). If it still resets, then you do have an issue that my limited knowledge isn't up to speed on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Unplug the CDX immediately to be safe, then check the output ratings from your MK-4122. CDX is power hungry. It must receive that adapter's higher specs to maintain reliable operation.

There are NO official alternatives. As MK-4122's label clearly implies in writing, it's the sole power source designed and approved by Sega for use with a CDX.
    Lum fan.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

I can change a fuse no problem :P I took 4 years of electronic engineering back in high school (went to a technical HS), but I haven't used that knowledge/skill in 11 years, so some things I just feel uncomfortable about.

The batteries should still power the unit on though, right? I didn't think that it would run games off it, but it won't power on at with batteries in it.

I'm actually going to call Sega on Monday and see if they have any power adapters (doubtful, but you never know) for the CDX. I'll have my buddy test my current adapter, and I'll check for blown caps and the fuse while I'm in there. Anything past that though, I'm very reluctant to do myself.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Well, if you took all them classes, wtf am I doin giving you advice
    I'd check the fuse first. I just looked for the tutorial I used last year to do mine, and I can't find it
    It's not a normal fuse, it looks like a component. With my limited electronics knowledge, I had a tough time finding it, till I used the tutorial.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

You're giving me advice because I haven't touched this sorta thing in 11 years lol

I did find a replacement power adapter, though I'm not going to purchase it until I know for sure if mine is failing. I'll have my buddy test it out on Monday, and if it's functioning properly, I'll crack this SOB open I guess lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Randomly resetting consoles are oftentimes a problem with the power input jack. This is a very common problem on the Dreamcast. My Genesis Nomad had the same problem until the jack was resoldered.

Testing the output of the AC Jack is a good idea. Keep in mind that it's normal to be + or - 5% with the specs. Anything more than that could be a faulty AC adapter.

Also, for those that don't know - the JVC X'Eye adapter is the only other known AC adapter that is identical in specs and the plug in is exactly the same.

I currently use a CDX adapter on my X'Eye and when I pull out the CDX to warm it up once in a while, I use the same adapter.