Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default PS1 Games in component?

I recently got a PS2 slim, and decided to play some PS1 on it. However, I encountered a strange glitch. Only half of the game will show up, with the bottom half being the Playstation logo. I tried this on another TV and it worked fine, I'm guessing it is based off of that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes. It is directly, squarely, the fault of many TV manufacturers. PS1 games run at low res video mode. Which wasn't a problem until PS2 because PS1 hardware doesn't support component and therefore cannot encounter this under normal circumstances.

Gamecube and Wii may also output PS1 video. But Mega Man X Collection was the sole GC title ever released to use it, as well as being a North American exclusive so neither PAL or JPN users had any.

(sure most pre-PS1 consoles are usually low res too. Just that component wasn't invented back then. Making only modders or converter owners run into the issue with those.)
    Last edited by theclaw; 01-08-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Looks like I will just use it on the TV that supports it, as I don't want to step down to S-Video.Then again, I did used to play it all in Composite.

I'm guessing the PS1 video doesn't look any better, even though PS2 does?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

What type of TV? CRT, LCD, Plasma? etc

What model slim? Chipped? All games or some games? Absolutely no PS2 game affected? Any other devices malfunctioning while using component?
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It is an LCD TV. I've tried it on three TVs, and it only displays right on one. It is an SCPH-75001, and I don't believe it is chipped. I know that it has some incompatibilities, but even when I run games that are supposed to run perfectly, they have a problem. Every single game I've tried. They either hang at the Playstation logo, have half the screen playing the game and the other half stuck on the logo, or have the normal gameplay but with the Playstation logo stuck in the background.

It is strictly a PS1 problem. No PS2 games have this problem. I might just get an S-Video cable. I played PS1 and PS2 games in composite for over a decade, and to be honest, I didn't like the look of when I hooked up a PS1 game to a TV that worked. The textures are jaggy, whereas with composite and I'm assuming S-Video they are smooth. I may just switch the cables when I want to play a PS1 game.
    Last edited by Tupin; 01-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

They'd be smoother with composite/RF as the games were likely designed with such usage in mind. Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 even exploits basic mechanics of CRT displays when drawing the ghosts.

S-Video is merely a separation of the color and Black+White signals resulting in an overall sharper picture. Its a step below RGB but a step above composite with component being between RGB and S-Video. You'll probably find PS1 games look "better" with it than they do with component or through emulators. Thing is with anything but a CRT display I've found composite and S-Video can look quite ugly from the upscaling circuitry. But I'm an anal retentive prick when it comes to video quality.

I'll have to agree with theclaw. This sounds like the video output mode of PS1 games on your PS2 is incompatible with that particular display. I have a 32" Sony Trinitron in front of me that I have my PS2 (v9 fat) hooked up to over component. PS1 games run wonderfully albeit with noticeable jaggyness. Part of the problem with progress is that some things have to be left behind.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?