Thread: PS1 Games in component?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default PS1 Games in component?

I recently got a PS2 slim, and decided to play some PS1 on it. However, I encountered a strange glitch. Only half of the game will show up, with the bottom half being the Playstation logo. I tried this on another TV and it worked fine, I'm guessing it is based off of that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes. It is directly, squarely, the fault of many TV manufacturers. PS1 games run at low res video mode. Which wasn't a problem until PS2 because PS1 hardware doesn't support component and therefore cannot encounter this under normal circumstances.

Gamecube and Wii may also output PS1 video. But Mega Man X Collection was the sole GC title ever released to use it, as well as being a North American exclusive so neither PAL or JPN users had any.

(sure most pre-PS1 consoles are usually low res too. Just that component wasn't invented back then. Making only modders or converter owners run into the issue with those.)
    Last edited by theclaw; 01-08-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Looks like I will just use it on the TV that supports it, as I don't want to step down to S-Video.Then again, I did used to play it all in Composite.

I'm guessing the PS1 video doesn't look any better, even though PS2 does?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

What type of TV? CRT, LCD, Plasma? etc

What model slim? Chipped? All games or some games? Absolutely no PS2 game affected? Any other devices malfunctioning while using component?
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It is an LCD TV. I've tried it on three TVs, and it only displays right on one. It is an SCPH-75001, and I don't believe it is chipped. I know that it has some incompatibilities, but even when I run games that are supposed to run perfectly, they have a problem. Every single game I've tried. They either hang at the Playstation logo, have half the screen playing the game and the other half stuck on the logo, or have the normal gameplay but with the Playstation logo stuck in the background.

It is strictly a PS1 problem. No PS2 games have this problem. I might just get an S-Video cable. I played PS1 and PS2 games in composite for over a decade, and to be honest, I didn't like the look of when I hooked up a PS1 game to a TV that worked. The textures are jaggy, whereas with composite and I'm assuming S-Video they are smooth. I may just switch the cables when I want to play a PS1 game.
    Last edited by Tupin; 01-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

They'd be smoother with composite/RF as the games were likely designed with such usage in mind. Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 even exploits basic mechanics of CRT displays when drawing the ghosts.

S-Video is merely a separation of the color and Black+White signals resulting in an overall sharper picture. Its a step below RGB but a step above composite with component being between RGB and S-Video. You'll probably find PS1 games look "better" with it than they do with component or through emulators. Thing is with anything but a CRT display I've found composite and S-Video can look quite ugly from the upscaling circuitry. But I'm an anal retentive prick when it comes to video quality.

I'll have to agree with theclaw. This sounds like the video output mode of PS1 games on your PS2 is incompatible with that particular display. I have a 32" Sony Trinitron in front of me that I have my PS2 (v9 fat) hooked up to over component. PS1 games run wonderfully albeit with noticeable jaggyness. Part of the problem with progress is that some things have to be left behind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It's much worse than that. Some displays go beyond his, instead being *incapable* in the most literal sense of PS1 video mode on component. Not just graphics errors. But "no signal" or a similar warning message.

You need to remember both the game and console have done exactly what they are programmed for. By using 240p Sony is adhering to developers' original creative vision as close as they could. Unlike most post-PS1 retro compilations which upconvert their games to 480i, much to the annoyance of purists...
    Lum fan.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    They'd be smoother with composite/RF as the games were likely designed with such usage in mind. Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 even exploits basic mechanics of CRT displays when drawing the ghosts.

S-Video is merely a separation of the color and Black+White signals resulting in an overall sharper picture. Its a step below RGB but a step above composite with component being between RGB and S-Video. You'll probably find PS1 games look "better" with it than they do with component or through emulators. Thing is with anything but a CRT display I've found composite and S-Video can look quite ugly from the upscaling circuitry. But I'm an anal retentive prick when it comes to video quality.

I'll have to agree with theclaw. This sounds like the video output mode of PS1 games on your PS2 is incompatible with that particular display. I have a 32" Sony Trinitron in front of me that I have my PS2 (v9 fat) hooked up to over component. PS1 games run wonderfully albeit with noticeable jaggyness. Part of the problem with progress is that some things have to be left behind.
    You wouldn't happen to have the model number of that Trinitron would you

It's actually really sad that most TV's can't deal with a low res component signal. My 25 CRT inch can but it has a serious problem on the component input. The 32 inch Sanyo CRT my parents are gonna give me can't which sucks since it's a nice big curved CRT. I actually have to invest in a cheap Chinese RGB to VGA upscaler, then in a bit expensive VGA to YUV convertor, just to run low res component on that TV which in tern is upscaled anyway. Of course if I ever get an HDTV, I really want the X-RGB2 since it's very simple and it's RGB to VGA.

Makes me wonder when I get a backward compatible PS3 and I connect it via HDMI will it upscale PS1 and PS2 games to 480p. I sure hope it's only 480p, 720p and 1080p would look horrible with PS1 games.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

That depends if the TV or PS3 scales better. Keeping the console's setting at 480p all the time would obviously make PS3 games play in 480p as well.

At least PS3 provides an option to pillarbox PS1/PS2 games letting them stay 4:3 when scaled. It's unlike Xbox 360 which auto-detects widescreen BC games when set to HD resolutions.
    Last edited by theclaw; 01-11-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    I can do you one better:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-32FS10.../ref=de_a_smtd

There is an "HD ready" version that does 480p/720p/1080i but I cannot speak for its ability to handle PS1 games over component.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post

It's actually really sad that most TV's can't deal with a low res component signal. My 25 CRT inch can but it has a serious problem on the component input. The 32 inch Sanyo CRT my parents are gonna give me can't which sucks since it's a nice big curved CRT. I actually have to invest in a cheap Chinese RGB to VGA upscaler, then in a bit expensive VGA to YUV convertor, just to run low res component on that TV which in tern is upscaled anyway. Of course if I ever get an HDTV, I really want the X-RGB2 since it's very simple and it's RGB to VGA.

Makes me wonder when I get a backward compatible PS3 and I connect it via HDMI will it upscale PS1 and PS2 games to 480p. I sure hope it's only 480p, 720p and 1080p would look horrible with PS1 games.
    My Samsung 32" 720p panel will display PS1 games played on my PS2 (phat) via component. But they look ugly as sin. My 37" LG 1080p panel won't display PS1 games at all (high res menus will display, e.g. Gran Turismo, but that's all).

imo, the PS3 does a nice job of displaying PS1 games and it's usually my platform of choice for playing PS1 games unless I really want to be able to use a PS1 controller.