Thread: Zombies, vikings, murder: Ska Studios on WP7 and the future of XBLIG gore [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Zombies, vikings, murder: Ska Studios on WP7 and the future of XBLIG gore [Joystiq]

In 2007, James Silva had just graduated college and settled into a 9-5 job. He was resigned to spend the rest of his existence in cubicle complacency, letting his lifelong goal to develop games as a career fade regretfully away. Then his indie title, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, won $10,000 in Microsoft's Dream Build Play competition, and everything changed. He quit his job, lived the life of a starving artist and perfected Dead Samurai until it passed certification from Microsoft.

"The work was exhilarating," Silva said in an interview with Joystiq. "I remember that when I got the email saying I'd passed cert, I ran around the apartment screaming."

The game sold "well enough," but more importantly, it led him to meet Michelle, his fiancée, who was a tester for Dead Samurai at PAX in 2009.

"I've said it before: XBLA literally made all of my dreams come true, right down to meeting the woman of my dreams," Silva said.

Since Dead Samurai, Silva has launched six games on XBLA and XBLIG through Ska Studios, including The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile and I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1, with one more coming in 2012. His latest endeavor in the fantasy he calls a career is developing titles for Windows Phone -- on Jan. 4 Silva launched Z0MB1ES!!1 (on teh ph0ne) for WP7, a trio of games that includes I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1, a new game mode called Endless Zombies and a shiny new title, Time Viking.Continue reading Zombies, vikings, murder: Ska Studios on WP7 and the future of XBLIG gore
    Zombies, vikings, murder: Ska Studios on WP7 and the future of XBLIG gore originally appeared on Joystiq on Sun, 08 Jan 2012 18:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may be alone in this, but I'm tired of seeing indie zombie games. I'm tired of zombies in general, but that's another story. He did well with one game, but I'd like to see him do something different instead of more zombies over and over.