Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound from my Famicom

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default No sound from my Famicom

I just got a beautiful Famicom in the mail today and it powers up. I hooked it up to my television with the NES RF switch. I'm getting fantastic video but no audio. My tv is set to channel 95 and also works on 96. Ive tried other channels and changing the famicom's channel setting. I still have the same problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to recall that the NTSC-J specs have the audio and video channels separated more or less than standard NTSC. That would mean that the video appears on one channel on your TV, and the audio on another.

If this is the problem, then you would probably need two different channel decoders. For instance, put a splitter on the RF switch, tune the TV so that it gets video, and use a VCR tuned to the correct channel to output audio, perhaps to a stereo receiver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hmm, your the first person to say to use it through the VCR, Im going to give this a shot. Cause I tried to adjust the audio on my television, but it has no such feature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If these sources are accurate:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...quencies#Japan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...on_frequencies

...A Famicom set to channel 1 will appear on US CATV channel 95, with a 100% match on both video and audio carriers. Is it a genuine Japanese-market Famicom, not a clone or from a different region?

I'd try it on a different TV first, and then test the audio output on the CPU and go from there.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yea its a legit Fami, and I know I should get it on channel 95 & I get a pic but no audio Ive been told to fiddle with the fine tuning but that proove to no a vale. So now Im going to hook up my Fami to my VCR & hook the VCR up with AV jacks as a posed to a coaxial. this may work I think. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ok so I hooked it up to the VCR liek I said I would. Nuting. I tried hookign it up to a different TV & on channel 8 I got the opposite, no video and only audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I think the idea was to split the signal to a TV and a VCR. Have the TV on 95 and the VCR on 8 then run the audio output from the VCR to a stereo system.

I had no idea there was that much difference in the A/V separation between US and Japan.

Edit:
    Hmmm...according to the frequency tables linked to above, the audio and video signals for Japan channel 1 do exactly match US channel 95 (Video=91.25MHz, Audio = 95.75MHz). Channel 8's audio is 185.75MHz which is closer to the 2nd harmonic of the audio signal(191.5MHz). Interesting. Why does it not just get audio on channel 95?

Is it possible someone messed with the tuning in the Famicom? I know with some equipment it's possible to "walk" the signal by adjusting components. Sometimes as simple as slightly moving the wires on a coil.
    Last edited by jb143; 01-10-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There shouldn't be that much separation, see the links I posted above. Seems like the modulator is out of adjustment or defective.

Edit: You're a ninja!
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 01-10-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yeah, that's probably a better explanation. Something in the modulator is likely out of whack. Still, would it be possible to tune it back to the correct frequency? I'm not too familiar with the Famicom's inner workings.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just made a quick check on a parts system: There are 4 coils and 1 variable cap that can be adjusted. There is a Famicom schematic floating around but I dont recall if the modulator is detailed in them. I would probably just install an A/V mod kit and call it a day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

My 2 cents:

I didn't know the Famicom even separated audio/video in such a fashion as discussed above, but here is what I know:

When my toaster NES, after many years of faithful service, stopped putting out audio I was confused. Maxed out my stereo and I could hear it again! But obviously that wasn't a valid solution unless I wanted to potentially blow something expensive.

The solution? Replace every capacitor on the small daughterboard for Audio/Video output and power input. Sound came back 100% and I only needed to run my stereo at 1/10th the level. After 25 years I wouldn't be shocked if your Famicom's capacitors haven't dried up. I can't say this is a sure fire fix but it is definitely worth considering given how cheap it is to replace a handful of capacitors ($2-3).
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know the famicom does make noise so the Fami's hardware is fine. It's juist not compatible with any of my televisions. SO Im going to buy the AV kit soon :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    I didn't know the Famicom even separated audio/video in such a fashion as discussed above
    Anything that outputs RF does. Roughly, you take this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ntsc_channel.svg
    And now modulate that information on top of a VHF, UHF, or other radio wave and you have RF broadcast video.

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    The solution? Replace every capacitor on the small daughterboard for Audio/Video output and power input. Sound came back 100% and I only needed to run my stereo at 1/10th the level. After 25 years I wouldn't be shocked if your Famicom's capacitors haven't dried up.
    I've had similar experiences with the toaster with 60hz audio buzz and video hum bars and won't sell a NES that I haven't put one of my cap kits in. There's a lot of heat in that little RF/rectifier box, a surprising number of caps crammed in there, and the caps are usually stretched out and spent, sending AC ripple throughout the NES and setting up the potential for IC failure.

Quote Originally Posted by toploaderleo View Post
    I know the famicom does make noise so the Fami's hardware is fine. It's juist not compatible with any of my televisions. SO Im going to buy the AV kit soon :/
    I agree that if you can hear audio on a separate channel, then the audio circuit is more than likely fine. If you're considering A/V modding anyway, you can always twiddle the adjustments on the modulator. Can't do much harm now, really.

I'd turn to 95 and start messing with that variable cap. Likewise, if any of the red/green coils look like they've been messed with, squish them back together. Those were originally tuned literally by knifing them apart until the frequencies were correct, so knife away and see what you end up with. Maybe take a few pics so you can return it to stock, if you're so inclined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bought the AV converter. Looks like Im modding it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I've had similar experiences with the toaster with 60hz audio buzz and video hum bars and won't sell a NES that I haven't put one of my cap kits in. There's a lot of heat in that little RF/rectifier box, a surprising number of caps crammed in there, and the caps are usually stretched out and spent, sending AC ripple throughout the NES and setting up the potential for IC failure.
    Never seen hum bars on a NES but I have on several TG16s. Did replace every capacitor in there but I'm guessing ground loop (very possible but damn the engineers must've been lazy) or another part I've yet to consider at fault. Even ran it off a battery to eliminate its own power supply as a possible fault, or my electrical wiring.

Still not sure why Nintendo went with a power supply that just dropped the voltage of incoming AC. Then again the Japanese may have had different ideas about how to engineer power supplies for consumer electronics. Though as a result plenty of SegaCDs have been fried by people not really looking too closely. *COUGH*
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toploaderleo View Post
    Bought the AV converter. Looks like Im modding it
    Out of curiosity, where did you pick it up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I'd turn to 95 and start messing with that variable cap. Likewise, if any of the red/green coils look like they've been messed with, squish them back together. Those were originally tuned literally by knifing them apart until the frequencies were correct, so knife away and see what you end up with. Maybe take a few pics so you can return it to stock, if you're so inclined.
    Probably better to start on channel 8. Make adjustments to coils and such(using something non-metallic) until the audio shifts to channel 7 or 9. This is what's known as "walking" the signal. If you keep at it, you should be able to match the audio to the same channel that video is on. Keep in kind that the TV bands jump around. For example, if you walk the signal from 8 to 7, after 7 it should jump to 22. Then it will go 21, 20... down to 14 but then jump to channel 99. From there you should be able to walk it down to 95. Look at the link FABombjoy gave above and you should see what I mean.

Since the coils and variable caps are exposed it actually wouldn't be too hard to do. Just don't mess with anything that affects the video. And if it does, fix it and remember not to touch that component anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got it from http://atariusa.com/RetroVideo/ about a week and a half ago. I paid for 2 to 7 day shipping and havnt recived it yet, so Im not about to recomend this guy t anyone anytime soon. Also Emailed them and havnt heard from them either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you end up not getting it from them, I have a parts kit available for $3, small perfboards for $.79, jacks, etc., plus I ship first class. It's a super easy circuit to build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ill keep ya in mind. First I want to get my money back from him or at least know whats going on with my order.