Thread: TurboDuo not Loading Super CD-ROM/ CD-ROMē Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TurboDuo not Loading Super CD-ROM/ CD-ROMē Games

I have a TurboDuo and have had issues attempting to run Super CD-ROM/CD-ROMē games.

If I insert one of my Super CD-ROMē games, both of which appear in great condition on the surface, I will receive this error message after several seconds of spinning:
    PLEASE SET DISC!

I burned a game as an attempt to test with a CD-R and had the same problems, however for a minute or two the lens was jumping around so I assume it was picking up some loading data but would ultimately fails. I must note it's on a cheap HI-VAL 74min disc and the image (292,169,023 bytes) has not been validated working (just a random download). The consoles lengthy fight to load the disc shows promise.

Another point to make is the system is able to read and play audio CDs (all tested audio discs are authentic). The game discs I own do read and playback on CD players, including my factory car dashboard unit that can be finicky.

I have cleaned the lens with alcohol and know there are adjustment potentiometers near the laser head. I am also tempted to replace the capacitors in the unit despite the solid audio playback the console puts out, but might benefit some from the recap.

The games I am attempting to run are:
    Originals: Xak I & II, Buster Bros
    Burned: Akumajō Dracula X: Chi no Rondo

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember on the PS1 mose "Laser" failures were actually spindle motor failures. Double check that the motor is not dying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    I remember on the PS1 mose "Laser" failures were actually spindle motor failures. Double check that the motor is not dying.
    As mentioned it has no issues playing audio CDs, so its ability to spin up and track those discs is no problem.

When attempting to load Super CD-ROM discs it will spin up and sounds as though it is seeking data, but no success. The burned disc sent the laser head running up and down the track for a few minutes before failing to launch. So I am doubting a motor problem but if others concur I can try monitoring that piece more closely on Run.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't matter, many of those PS1s worked fine on audio CDs too, because they have a last resort compensation that guesses or inserts silence when unrecoverable errors occur. Something worth trying is to short or disable the lid close switch and put a disc on the spindle and turn it on then remove the disc doing that dummies out the reflect test that is used by many systems. Then see if it attempts to read without a disc. If it does then it is a pre-programmed cycle. On some systems positioning a mirror the right way will make the system do that. That only proves a successful reflect test. There may not be a way to tell without a known-good system that you can part swap from so getting another system may help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say if bad caps is the reason, but I wouldn't spend any time troubleshooting or adjusting until they had all been replaced, even if the audio is still good. They almost certainly are bad and I'd replace them before they leak and start corroding traces.

If you look closely, you may be able to see the signs of going bad, like this pic I took of a TurboExpress cap (left leg is clean, right leg is toast)

/me inserts platitudes about fixing the roof before the storm, brushing and flossing before getting a cavity, etc
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Surprising how much of a laser's functionality relies on capacitors.

Probably will fix it.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I can't say if bad caps is the reason, but I wouldn't spend any time troubleshooting or adjusting until they had all been replaced, even if the audio is still good. They almost certainly are bad and I'd replace them before they leak and start corroding traces.

If you look closely, you may be able to see the signs of going bad, like this pic I took of a TurboExpress cap (left leg is clean, right leg is toast)

/me inserts platitudes about fixing the roof before the storm, brushing and flossing before getting a cavity, etc
    This is why I was leaning towards recapping the board; if they haven't gone yet they are due. I'll make a capacitor list and toss it into an order I already have going. The two possible problems I was informed of is either:
    1) Laser potentiometer needs adjustment.
    2) Track gears are slipping or jumping, causing excess juddering and bad alignment to the data tracking.

Either way, a recap will be my next step then.

Thanks, and I will follow up when it's complete. Other suggestions to possible causes are still welcome.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another issue that comes up from time to time is the spindle hub getting pressed in, though that seems more common in Atari Jaguar CD units.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use & reference my cap list if you like:

http://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Duo

I've also documented test points and adjustments.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]