Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY GOT MEGA MAN 2!!! (Vintage Home Movie Footage from 1990)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default I FINALLY GOT MEGA MAN 2!!! (Vintage Home Movie Footage from 1990)

Hello DPer's! I thought I'd share this home movie nugget I found recently. It's quite a treasure for me to be able to relive what is arguably the defining moment of my life as a gamer. In 1990, I was four year old and had just recently returned from a trip to New York. It was there that I had been introduced to a little game called Mega Man 2 via my cousins who owned it. It was a gaming revelation. In the following 4 months after that trip, at every department store or toy store, I asked my parents if I could get Mega Man 2. Money was always strapped. I remember dreaming about that game, and even rewatching home movie footage from the new york trip just to relive playing it! We rented it on occasion, but of course had to return it, the cartridge leaving my little hands and into the Blockbuster Video drop box. The thud it made was like a blow to my heart.

But then, suddenly, and for no special occasion, I received Mega Man 2 from my parents in an unmarked cardboard box. It was one of the happiest evenings of my childhood, and it's captured all on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nPwXcflH4

I share this with you in the hope that it'll rekindle some similar experiences you may have had as a child, receiving that one gift you wanted for what seemed like forever. Mega Man 2 was indeed my Red Ryder BB Gun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video. Classic stuff.

I think we all have moments like this as children. Not just with video games, but receiving a particular gift that you've always asked for/wanted and gets wrapped/disguised in a different box, only to tear into it, and low and behold there it is!!

Your words painted a nice story, and you have a video to boot!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

At first reading the thread title i thought it ment recently and i was like so what thats not a hard cart to find, haha... but i now understand.... nice share everyone has had thst moment but most arent lucky enough to have it on video... except for the nintendo 64 kid.... haha

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Heh. That was cool man. Thanks for sharing!

I also have those same pajamas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome! Great stuff indeed, sir. This is why us retro gamers still rock the classics. Memories like this are too precious to not keep alive.

Thanks for the share!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the reaction to Ironsword. Nice clip.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Damn man, this is too cute and awesome. Thank you for sharing this! I had a similar reaction to Megaman 2 (and a few years later, Megaman X), but those reactions are not on film that I know of. Gotta love your mother's 80's hair and big frame glasses because it was the same deal with my mom!

Your excitement for Megaman 2 is totally infectious - after watching this I had to boot up my own copy and play through Bubbleman's stage in your honor. You should really thank your dad for this - he did a great job filming and editing, even going as far to show footage from the tv! You were pretty damn good at the game considering you were only four years old! And lol your lack of reaction to Ironsword. Who needs that when you have MEGAMAN 2!
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

But he opened it!!!!!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats awesome man! Kind of scary too because we both looked a lot alike when we were young so it felt like watching my own home movie! I think I have a home movie from 1988 when I was 4 and got my NES...I will have to hunt that down...

BUT my fondest gaming memory...1991 - 3 years later...my older cousin begged his dad night in and night out to buy him a Genesis and he never game in. Eventually my other cousin (as the 3 of us were like the 3 amigos) started begging his parents. I was still happy with my NES and didn't know much about what a Genesis was until my friend down the street got an SNES later that summer...as I believe it came out end of august. Then when I saw the power of 16 bit I really wanted to be like my cousin and get a Genesis. Still I never asked for one. One day I went with my dad on a landscaping job and on the way home he pulled into a Toys R Us and asked about the Sega Genesis and if it was cool. I said it was and he bought it for me along with Double Dragon. Needless to say my uncle wanted to pound my dad, because then he too felt inclined to buy my cousin a Genesis..and same with my other Cousin..lol started a chain reaction..either which way, I'll never forget that...it also started my long adventure of Sega Fanboyship lol !
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That is a great video! You can tell your parents were just as excited to give you the present as you were to open it. My son was like that for his 3DS system. He just had to have it to play Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2. He almost exploded when he opened his gift on his birthday a few months ago. Thanks for sharing, you have nice parents!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very cool video, thanks for sharing it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks at Mega Man 2 - "I finally got Mega Man 2!!"

Looks at Ironsword - "?????????"

Thanks for sharing this. I really wish my parents had a video camera when I was young so they could have captured these kind of moments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Smart kid for ignoring IronSword for Megaman 2. IronSword sucks, and even the end label pisses me off. It just says IronSword rather than Wizards & Warriors II, so it looks wrong when you place it inbetween 1 and 3 on the shelf.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great video, made me look at my kid and smile...also i should grab the video camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great footage. I don't have any really cool story of how I got Mega Man 2 as a kid. I got the issue of Nintendo Power with MM2 on the cover, asked my parents, and received. I still have that issue of NP, as well!

I did have to beg a few months for Super Mario 3 though, so that was definitely a triumphant moment to finally get that one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

heheh....my favorite part starts at 1:58 and is shown below. Thanks for sharing! Classic NES childhood goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great video, and great parents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

For me was SMB3, but wasn't done the same way. My mom hid the game in the pantry, asked me to take something out to eat, and lo and behold, right behind what she recommended I eat, a brand new copy of SMB 3 was there waiting for me. Was the most thrilling day of my teenage life at that time.

Of course Oreo cookies were in front of the game, I'd take that recommendation anyday.
    Last edited by Bloodreign; 01-27-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Haha thanks guys! Glad you've enjoyed the video. It's great to know that I'm not alone in my generation when it comes to cherished video game memories like this.

A lot of you have commented on how great it was that my parents did this and even filmed this for me. It's true, and I'm very grateful. My Dad actually passed away back in 2007, and so sharing this with you all and especially reading the great things you've had to say, it means a lot to me and I'm sure it means a lot to him.

And MyTurnToPlay! Oh man, I got to admit, that screen grab freaked me out a little. Never expected to see my face plastered on these walls like that! So funny though, thanks man.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 01-27-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I still think the best part of the whole exchange is your complete lack of any reaction to IronSword even after your mother attempts to drum up interest.

Her: "Oh look IronSword: Wizards & Warriors 2!!!!!!!"

You: "...........I finally got Megaman 2!!!!!!!!"