Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Do any of the new portables allow for "PERFECT" emulation of the SNES ?

  1. #1
    Pear (Level 6) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,265

    Default Do any of the new portables allow for "PERFECT" emulation of the SNES ?

    I've been out of the loop for awhile now, but I've seen some mention of these new portables that are from China or Korea. Most of them seem to be designed with emulators in mind. I've watched a number of YouTube reviews of these things, but in every review, they talk about the SNES emulation being sketchy at best. Problems with the sound, problems with dropping frames, etc, etc. Can any of these portables do perfect emulation of the SNES? What about the Genesis? I do have a phat PSP, and I have played some emulation on that, but the screen bothers me because of the "smearing". Also, I'm not a fan of using a 16:9 screen for games that were designed with 4:3 displays in mind.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    ServBot (Level 11) kedawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,429

    Default

    Nope.
    If you want decent emulation on the go, you pretty much have to buy a laptop.

  3. #3
    Red (Level 21) Jorpho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    We're all mad here
    Posts
    13,260

    Default

    It seems many will tell you that "PERFECT" emulation of the SNES requires BSNES, and it will be a long time before there's affordable portable hardware capable of running that.

    I guess your survey included the Caanoo?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

  4. #4
    Pear (Level 6) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Damn...


    A portable SNES is all I really want...


    What about a handheld that can do perfect TG-16 and Genesis emulation? I know SNES is a bit more difficult.

  5. #5
    Red (Level 21) Jorpho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    We're all mad here
    Posts
    13,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    A portable SNES is all I really want...
    Why not just get one of them Supaboys then?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

  6. #6
    Pear (Level 6) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Why not just get one of them Supaboys then?

    It's definitely an interesting product, but too big and bulky to be useful for me. Has anybody made a TurboExpress clone, or a Sega Nomad clone? Hu cards are small enough that a portable where you plug the actual card in, could be small enough to make it viable.

  7. #7
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    calthaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Have you considered the GP2X or one of its successors? I think their latest one is called "Caanoo."

    http://adventureamigos.net/2012/01/1...w-gp2x-caanoo/
    "You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?"

  8. #8
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Frankie_Says_Relax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Posts
    7,824
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

    Default

    What's this doing in Classic>Computer? *shuffles it over to Classic*

    Also, I wouldn't say that clones like SupaBoy are any better with emulation than something like a Dingoo or GP2X despite the fact that they work with real SNES cartridges. You'll still find shortcomings that will put them squarely outside of the "perfect" category.

    You could always contract a custom modder to build you a portable SNES Ben Heck style. Expensive yes, but 100% "perfect" based on the fact that it's the real deal.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"


  9. #9
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I've been out of the loop for awhile now, but I've seen some mention of these new portables that are from China or Korea. Most of them seem to be designed with emulators in mind. I've watched a number of YouTube reviews of these things, but in every review, they talk about the SNES emulation being sketchy at best. Problems with the sound, problems with dropping frames, etc, etc. Can any of these portables do perfect emulation of the SNES? What about the Genesis? I do have a phat PSP, and I have played some emulation on that, but the screen bothers me because of the "smearing". Also, I'm not a fan of using a 16:9 screen for games that were designed with 4:3 displays in mind.

    Any suggestions?
    please see my video review of the Pokefami DX:

    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...English-Review

    This is probably your best bet for playing SNES on the go - or, a cheaper means would be getting what is not-yet-confirmed-as-but-probably-is the American equivalent, the Retro Duo Portable.

    Compatibility isn't perfect and never will be with machines that play real cartridges, but it's pretty damn great. Certainly better than the piece of crap SupaBoy.

    It also blows the PSP away.

  10. #10
    Pac-Man (Level 10) theclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,092
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

    Default

    BSNES won't begin to do what you want. I have i7 2600k and GTX 580 yet still not perfect performance...
    Lum fan.

  11. #11
    Great Puma (Level 12) skaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    #vbender
    Posts
    4,702
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    BSNES won't begin to do what you want. I have i7 2600k and GTX 580 yet still not perfect performance...
    What games?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

    Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

  12. #12
    Pear (Level 6) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    I'd be fine if the SNES emulator was 91 percent perfect with about 85 percent of the catalog of games. That would be perfectly acceptable. I don't need the FX chip games being perfect and all that.



    Kinda off topic, but in regards to all these handhelds, which one has the nicest LCD screen for 4:3 games ? All of these retro ones have 4:3 screens, right ? I know there is one that looks like a PSP that has the PSP screen, and while it looks like a really cool device, I think a 4:3 screen is an absolute must!

  13. #13
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Personally I have a Supaboy, and I love it. Every game I throw at it plays perfectly, maybe because I waited to get a later one unlike everyone else here who seems to bash it because they got pre-production models. I admit that it had one flaw that I didn't like and that was dust under the screen. But pop that f***** out with a suction cup and blow air into it and bam no more dust. It's a great portable and a great home console, and even every accessory seems to work, though the mouse doesn't work unless it's hooked up to av out. Regardless, the Retro Duo Portable has not even been reviewed by anyone yet and so I wouldn't jump to it. I'd recommend finding a game store close to you that carries clones and see if they carry the Supaboy and see if they're getting the Retro Duo Portable. Try 'em out, and see if they're what you want.

    Oh, and in terms of portable emulation, I use an Xperia Play. Android based emulators are great and numerous, and the controls on it are tight. You could get one for about $150, and it's worth it. The big screen, actual buttons, and emulator choice really make it better than the PSP for emulation. Oh, and you can play N64 games on it too if you want and the touchpads replicate the analog stick well. Seriously, it's an underrated phone and never taken seriously for emulator purposes. But you can directly download roms, so you don't have to make transfers, and that is just convenient as hell. Also, if you're concerned about 4:3 than just adjust the picture in the emulator, simple as that.
    Last edited by Culex4096; 02-03-2012 at 04:25 AM.

  14. #14
    Bell (Level 8) Satoshi_Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,752
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

    Default

    We have several threads going for the various portable SNES units, but here's a quick summery:

    Yobo FC-16 GO

    This was the world's first commercially available SNES portable that plays the original cartridge medium. it is the only portable SNES so far to use a clamshell design to protect the screen when not in use. the dpad is a bit stiff but it's functional. It comes with two absolutely excellent 2.4Ghz wireless controllers that can only be used on the device. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games without any issues. It has a rather awful composite video feed to its built in screen, but has excellent composite video output to a tv. The build in speaker can get LOUD. Although it can play Super Famicom games, it has tabs that region lock it to North American carts only unless you open the unit to remove them. It is around $60.

    Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqLpKKWgC4


    Hyperkin's Supaboy:

    An SNES portable designed to look like an oversized SNES controller with the screen where the Start and Select buttons would normally be. The stock d-pad is pretty much the worst dpad I've experienced in quite a long time - it doesn't detect quick diagonal changes, making playing games like shooters or fighters impossible. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games. Many of the initial units sold "accidentally" according to Hyperkin used the prototype Supaboy's motherboard, which has an annoying electric buzz from the internal speakers AND headphone jacks. The only way to eliminate this issue is to use the video output to a tv. It has a much better composite video feed to its built in screen than the FC-16 GO's, but it's composite video output to a tv is dark. The build in speaker has a maximum volume about half of what the FC-16's can get to. No tabs, it can play Super Famicom games no problem. It is around $80. Hyperkin's customer support is seemingly terrible - myself, I wet through a long process of returning my unit with the buzzing sound only for them to send me a replacement with the exact same problem. Others have reportedly been unable to contact Hyperkin for over a month. Buy with caution.


    Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg

    RetroDuo Portable

    Only announced AFTER Hyperkin's Supaboy was released, this unit promises 6-8 hours battery life, contrast control and will come with two cool-looking third party controllers, which may be excellent or shit - we don't know yet. Unlike the Supaboy it doesn't have two large SNES controller sockets built in, but it does come with a dongle that allows you to use any SNES controller you already have. The gimmick of the system is that it's also got an NOAC and a cartridge adapter to allow it to play NES games as well as SNES games. It is $90.

    When I get mine, I will be sure to review it.

    PokeFami DX

    This is a East Asia exclusive import. The signs point that it's the Asian equivalent to the RetroDuo Portable minus the NOAC and NES support. Digitalpress member Nullsilver owns one, so you can check out his full review here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH03iZMtHxg
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I think I can sum up the performance of all SNES portables as well as Satoshi Matrix's post with the following:



    yup...every single damn portable is buggy as hell and they will continue to be so. The best thing to do is get a psp and mod it. Genesis/NES/SNES at your fingertips.

    But yeah....stay away from the above mentioned chinese made protable crap. Waste of money.

    thank you.

  16. #16
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    I think I can sum up the performance of all SNES portables as well as Satoshi Matrix's post with the following:

    yup...every single damn portable is buggy as hell and they will continue to be so. The best thing to do is get a psp and mod it. Genesis/NES/SNES at your fingertips.

    But yeah....stay away from the above mentioned chinese made protable crap. Waste of money.

    thank you.
    Look. You've already made it clear you don't like clone portables - why are you here again, besides to insult Satoshi_Matrix? Also, the PSP was manufactured in China.
    Last edited by nusilver; 02-03-2012 at 03:21 PM.

  17. #17
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Frankie_Says_Relax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Posts
    7,824
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    We have several threads going for the various portable SNES units, but here's a quick summery:

    Yobo FC-16 GO

    This was the world's first commercially available SNES portable that plays the original cartridge medium. it is the only portable SNES so far to use a clamshell design to protect the screen when not in use. the dpad is a bit stiff but it's functional. It comes with two absolutely excellent 2.4Ghz wireless controllers that can only be used on the device. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games without any issues. It has a rather awful composite video feed to its built in screen, but has excellent composite video output to a tv. The build in speaker can get LOUD. Although it can play Super Famicom games, it has tabs that region lock it to North American carts only unless you open the unit to remove them. It is around $60.

    Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqLpKKWgC4


    Hyperkin's Supaboy:

    An SNES portable designed to look like an oversized SNES controller with the screen where the Start and Select buttons would normally be. The stock d-pad is pretty much the worst dpad I've experienced in quite a long time - it doesn't detect quick diagonal changes, making playing games like shooters or fighters impossible. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games. Many of the initial units sold "accidentally" according to Hyperkin used the prototype Supaboy's motherboard, which has an annoying electric buzz from the internal speakers AND headphone jacks. The only way to eliminate this issue is to use the video output to a tv. It has a much better composite video feed to its built in screen than the FC-16 GO's, but it's composite video output to a tv is dark. The build in speaker has a maximum volume about half of what the FC-16's can get to. No tabs, it can play Super Famicom games no problem. It is around $80. Hyperkin's customer support is seemingly terrible - myself, I wet through a long process of returning my unit with the buzzing sound only for them to send me a replacement with the exact same problem. Others have reportedly been unable to contact Hyperkin for over a month. Buy with caution.


    Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg

    RetroDuo Portable

    Only announced AFTER Hyperkin's Supaboy was released, this unit promises 6-8 hours battery life, contrast control and will come with two cool-looking third party controllers, which may be excellent or shit - we don't know yet. Unlike the Supaboy it doesn't have two large SNES controller sockets built in, but it does come with a dongle that allows you to use any SNES controller you already have. The gimmick of the system is that it's also got an NOAC and a cartridge adapter to allow it to play NES games as well as SNES games. It is $90.

    When I get mine, I will be sure to review it.

    PokeFami DX

    This is a East Asia exclusive import. The signs point that it's the Asian equivalent to the RetroDuo Portable minus the NOAC and NES support. Digitalpress member Nullsilver owns one, so you can check out his full review here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH03iZMtHxg
    Gotta love a community that just so fucking comprehensive about clones!

    Awesome. Seriously.

    I wish I had more time to invest in reviewing some of the more recent ones I've purchased.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"


  18. #18
    16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    BlastProcessing402's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    yup...every single damn portable is buggy as hell and they will continue to be so. The best thing to do is get a psp and mod it. Genesis/NES/SNES at your fingertips.
    There is no way the PSP's SNES emulation is going to please someone upset that these clones are not perfect. Genesis and NES are pretty good, as is GBA, and GB/GBC is near perfect, but I've never been satisfied with any revision of the SNES emulator on the PSP.

  19. #19
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    There is no way the PSP's SNES emulation is going to please someone upset that these clones are not perfect. Genesis and NES are pretty good, as is GBA, and GB/GBC is near perfect, but I've never been satisfied with any revision of the SNES emulator on the PSP.
    Yeah. Yeah!

  20. #20
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Look. You've already made it clear you don't like clone portables - why are you here again, besides to insult Satoshi_Matrix? Also, the PSP was manufactured in China.
    Just because you spent over $100 on a piece of junk doesn't mean the OP has to...so stop trying to convince him to waste his money like you did.

    It's a fact all SNES portables are crap...so nice try trying to drum up hype/support for Pokefami...RDP or any of the other garbage.

    OP...don't listen to nusilver. Do your own research and you'll see all SNES portables are a waste of your money.

    thank you.

  21. #21
    Pear (Level 6) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    There is no way the PSP's SNES emulation is going to please someone upset that these clones are not perfect. Genesis and NES are pretty good, as is GBA, and GB/GBC is near perfect, but I've never been satisfied with any revision of the SNES emulator on the PSP.
    The PSP as an emulator machine has it's ups and downs. It can play A LOT of different emulators, and some of them very well. But.....


    The screen is 16:9. Not the right aspect ratio for these retro games. Also, when the game is moving, you get a considerable amount of smearing of the video image. Then there is the stock D-Pad and buttons.


    While some emulators work well, and certain games work well, the emulation can be a bit spotty. Especially with SNES it seems.

  22. #22
    Red (Level 21) Jorpho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    We're all mad here
    Posts
    13,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Also, when the game is moving, you get a considerable amount of smearing of the video image.
    I really can't imagine a portable SNES of any kind that won't have that problem.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

  23. #23
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The PSP as an emulator machine has it's ups and downs. It can play A LOT of different emulators, and some of them very well. But.....


    The screen is 16:9. Not the right aspect ratio for these retro games. Also, when the game is moving, you get a considerable amount of smearing of the video image. Then there is the stock D-Pad and buttons.


    While some emulators work well, and certain games work well, the emulation can be a bit spotty. Especially with SNES it seems.
    While I am wholly of the opinion that the PSP is a horrible SNES emulator, the issue f the screen aspect ratio is, well, a non-issue. You can set the emulator to display 4:3. Problem solved, image is beautiful. Too bad it runs at 13 FPS.

  24. #24
    ServBot (Level 11) kedawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I really can't imagine a portable SNES of any kind that won't have that problem.
    I haven't noticed anything like that on the GP Wiz, but then the controls aren't all that great, so it's pretty pointless.

  25. #25
    Pear (Level 6) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    the issue of the screen aspect ratio is, well, a non-issue. You can set the emulator to display 4:3.
    Yeah, you can, but I don't want to play it "pillar boxed". I guess, I wouldn't mind it if I had a special skin thing for the PSP that would keep those side bars completely hidden. The side black bars are distracting. I'd rather play it in a stretched out mode, which most think is even more horrible. For me, I hate pillarboxing, so I'd rather zoom it out.

    Man, I wish somebody would make a handheld with a nice sized 4:3 screen, good contrast, good viewing angles, and some comfortable buttons and a D-Pad very much like a Saturn D-Pad. With enough power to run a SNES emulator at a decent level, although I'd be willing to settle for really good PC Engine and Megadrive emulation.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •