Thread: Do any of the new portables allow for "PERFECT" emulation of the SNES ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Do any of the new portables allow for "PERFECT" emulation of the SNES ?

I've been out of the loop for awhile now, but I've seen some mention of these new portables that are from China or Korea. Most of them seem to be designed with emulators in mind. I've watched a number of YouTube reviews of these things, but in every review, they talk about the SNES emulation being sketchy at best. Problems with the sound, problems with dropping frames, etc, etc. Can any of these portables do perfect emulation of the SNES? What about the Genesis? I do have a phat PSP, and I have played some emulation on that, but the screen bothers me because of the "smearing". Also, I'm not a fan of using a 16:9 screen for games that were designed with 4:3 displays in mind.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope.
    If you want decent emulation on the go, you pretty much have to buy a laptop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems many will tell you that "PERFECT" emulation of the SNES requires BSNES, and it will be a long time before there's affordable portable hardware capable of running that.

I guess your survey included the Caanoo?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Damn...

A portable SNES is all I really want...

What about a handheld that can do perfect TG-16 and Genesis emulation? I know SNES is a bit more difficult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    A portable SNES is all I really want...
    Why not just get one of them Supaboys then?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Why not just get one of them Supaboys then?

It's definitely an interesting product, but too big and bulky to be useful for me. Has anybody made a TurboExpress clone, or a Sega Nomad clone? Hu cards are small enough that a portable where you plug the actual card in, could be small enough to make it viable.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I've been out of the loop for awhile now, but I've seen some mention of these new portables that are from China or Korea. Most of them seem to be designed with emulators in mind. I've watched a number of YouTube reviews of these things, but in every review, they talk about the SNES emulation being sketchy at best. Problems with the sound, problems with dropping frames, etc, etc. Can any of these portables do perfect emulation of the SNES? What about the Genesis? I do have a phat PSP, and I have played some emulation on that, but the screen bothers me because of the "smearing". Also, I'm not a fan of using a 16:9 screen for games that were designed with 4:3 displays in mind.

Any suggestions?
    please see my video review of the Pokefami DX:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...English-Review

This is probably your best bet for playing SNES on the go - or, a cheaper means would be getting what is not-yet-confirmed-as-but-probably-is the American equivalent, the Retro Duo Portable.

Compatibility isn't perfect and never will be with machines that play real cartridges, but it's pretty damn great. Certainly better than the piece of crap SupaBoy.

It also blows the PSP away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

BSNES won't begin to do what you want. I have i7 2600k and GTX 580 yet still not perfect performance...
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    BSNES won't begin to do what you want. I have i7 2600k and GTX 580 yet still not perfect performance...
    What games?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd be fine if the SNES emulator was 91 percent perfect with about 85 percent of the catalog of games. That would be perfectly acceptable. I don't need the FX chip games being perfect and all that.

Kinda off topic, but in regards to all these handhelds, which one has the nicest LCD screen for 4:3 games ? All of these retro ones have 4:3 screens, right ? I know there is one that looks like a PSP that has the PSP screen, and while it looks like a really cool device, I think a 4:3 screen is an absolute must!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I have a Supaboy, and I love it. Every game I throw at it plays perfectly, maybe because I waited to get a later one unlike everyone else here who seems to bash it because they got pre-production models. I admit that it had one flaw that I didn't like and that was dust under the screen. But pop that f***** out with a suction cup and blow air into it and bam no more dust. It's a great portable and a great home console, and even every accessory seems to work, though the mouse doesn't work unless it's hooked up to av out. Regardless, the Retro Duo Portable has not even been reviewed by anyone yet and so I wouldn't jump to it. I'd recommend finding a game store close to you that carries clones and see if they carry the Supaboy and see if they're getting the Retro Duo Portable. Try 'em out, and see if they're what you want.

Oh, and in terms of portable emulation, I use an Xperia Play. Android based emulators are great and numerous, and the controls on it are tight. You could get one for about $150, and it's worth it. The big screen, actual buttons, and emulator choice really make it better than the PSP for emulation. Oh, and you can play N64 games on it too if you want and the touchpads replicate the analog stick well. Seriously, it's an underrated phone and never taken seriously for emulator purposes. But you can directly download roms, so you don't have to make transfers, and that is just convenient as hell. Also, if you're concerned about 4:3 than just adjust the picture in the emulator, simple as that.
    Last edited by Culex4096; 02-03-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

We have several threads going for the various portable SNES units, but here's a quick summery:

Yobo FC-16 GO

This was the world's first commercially available SNES portable that plays the original cartridge medium. it is the only portable SNES so far to use a clamshell design to protect the screen when not in use. the dpad is a bit stiff but it's functional. It comes with two absolutely excellent 2.4Ghz wireless controllers that can only be used on the device. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games without any issues. It has a rather awful composite video feed to its built in screen, but has excellent composite video output to a tv. The build in speaker can get LOUD. Although it can play Super Famicom games, it has tabs that region lock it to North American carts only unless you open the unit to remove them. It is around $60.

Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqLpKKWgC4

Hyperkin's Supaboy:

An SNES portable designed to look like an oversized SNES controller with the screen where the Start and Select buttons would normally be. The stock d-pad is pretty much the worst dpad I've experienced in quite a long time - it doesn't detect quick diagonal changes, making playing games like shooters or fighters impossible. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games. Many of the initial units sold "accidentally" according to Hyperkin used the prototype Supaboy's motherboard, which has an annoying electric buzz from the internal speakers AND headphone jacks. The only way to eliminate this issue is to use the video output to a tv. It has a much better composite video feed to its built in screen than the FC-16 GO's, but it's composite video output to a tv is dark. The build in speaker has a maximum volume about half of what the FC-16's can get to. No tabs, it can play Super Famicom games no problem. It is around $80. Hyperkin's customer support is seemingly terrible - myself, I wet through a long process of returning my unit with the buzzing sound only for them to send me a replacement with the exact same problem. Others have reportedly been unable to contact Hyperkin for over a month. Buy with caution.

Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg

RetroDuo Portable

Only announced AFTER Hyperkin's Supaboy was released, this unit promises 6-8 hours battery life, contrast control and will come with two cool-looking third party controllers, which may be excellent or shit - we don't know yet. Unlike the Supaboy it doesn't have two large SNES controller sockets built in, but it does come with a dongle that allows you to use any SNES controller you already have. The gimmick of the system is that it's also got an NOAC and a cartridge adapter to allow it to play NES games as well as SNES games. It is $90.

When I get mine, I will be sure to review it.

PokeFami DX

This is a East Asia exclusive import. The signs point that it's the Asian equivalent to the RetroDuo Portable minus the NOAC and NES support. Digitalpress member Nullsilver owns one, so you can check out his full review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH03iZMtHxg
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think I can sum up the performance of all SNES portables as well as Satoshi Matrix's post with the following:

yup...every single damn portable is buggy as hell and they will continue to be so. The best thing to do is get a psp and mod it. Genesis/NES/SNES at your fingertips.

But yeah....stay away from the above mentioned chinese made protable crap. Waste of money.

thank you.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    We have several threads going for the various portable SNES units, but here's a quick summery:

Yobo FC-16 GO

This was the world's first commercially available SNES portable that plays the original cartridge medium. it is the only portable SNES so far to use a clamshell design to protect the screen when not in use. the dpad is a bit stiff but it's functional. It comes with two absolutely excellent 2.4Ghz wireless controllers that can only be used on the device. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games without any issues. It has a rather awful composite video feed to its built in screen, but has excellent composite video output to a tv. The build in speaker can get LOUD. Although it can play Super Famicom games, it has tabs that region lock it to North American carts only unless you open the unit to remove them. It is around $60.

Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqLpKKWgC4

Hyperkin's Supaboy:

An SNES portable designed to look like an oversized SNES controller with the screen where the Start and Select buttons would normally be. The stock d-pad is pretty much the worst dpad I've experienced in quite a long time - it doesn't detect quick diagonal changes, making playing games like shooters or fighters impossible. Battery life is around 2.5-3 hours. Plays 98% of all games. Many of the initial units sold "accidentally" according to Hyperkin used the prototype Supaboy's motherboard, which has an annoying electric buzz from the internal speakers AND headphone jacks. The only way to eliminate this issue is to use the video output to a tv. It has a much better composite video feed to its built in screen than the FC-16 GO's, but it's composite video output to a tv is dark. The build in speaker has a maximum volume about half of what the FC-16's can get to. No tabs, it can play Super Famicom games no problem. It is around $80. Hyperkin's customer support is seemingly terrible - myself, I wet through a long process of returning my unit with the buzzing sound only for them to send me a replacement with the exact same problem. Others have reportedly been unable to contact Hyperkin for over a month. Buy with caution.

Check out my review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg

RetroDuo Portable

Only announced AFTER Hyperkin's Supaboy was released, this unit promises 6-8 hours battery life, contrast control and will come with two cool-looking third party controllers, which may be excellent or shit - we don't know yet. Unlike the Supaboy it doesn't have two large SNES controller sockets built in, but it does come with a dongle that allows you to use any SNES controller you already have. The gimmick of the system is that it's also got an NOAC and a cartridge adapter to allow it to play NES games as well as SNES games. It is $90.

When I get mine, I will be sure to review it.

PokeFami DX

This is a East Asia exclusive import. The signs point that it's the Asian equivalent to the RetroDuo Portable minus the NOAC and NES support. Digitalpress member Nullsilver owns one, so you can check out his full review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH03iZMtHxg
    Gotta love a community that just so fucking comprehensive about clones!

Awesome. Seriously.

I wish I had more time to invest in reviewing some of the more recent ones I've purchased.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"