Thread: Mansion of Hidden Souls - which is better version?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Mansion of Hidden Souls - which is better version?

So I was searching for Saturn games and was surprised to see that Mansion of Hidden Souls apparently got re-released on Saturn (as did Double Switch). The original Sega CD version was one of those "wanted as a kid but never got" games and I'm honestly wondering why I still don't have it. I did a quick eBay search, and complete copies of either version can be gotten cheap.

Both my Sega CD and my Saturn libraries need some expanding, so I was wondering which version is better, if anyone knows? Or perhaps the two versions are different enough to justify buying both?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind! - After hours of searching I finally found some helpful information that informed me these are actually two different games. I've now placed an order for both.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 01-28-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    EDIT: Nevermind! - After hours of searching I finally found some helpful information that informed me these are actually two different games. I've now placed an order for both.
    I made the same assumption as a kid. I just skipped the Sega CD version and got the Saturn version instead because I knew it would be the superior port. Why they gave the Saturn sequel (It IS a sequel to the Sega CD game) the EXACT same title is beyond me.

They are both excellent FMV games.

I have more fond memories of the Saturn version because it was the one I played first and my buddy and I used to play it together. Early on there is a scene where you draw "The Magician" card from a fortune teller and one of the characters says "The Magician! Just like Josie eh?" and we thought it was hilarious. I'm not sure if it was the accent of the dubbing or what but 15+ years later and we still randomly quote the line.

I guess some things you just had to be there... lol. Either way I hope you enjoy the games. I also recommend D, Lunacy and Enemy Zero for similar style games on the Saturn.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I already have D, as I mentioned in the System Hoarding thread.

I'm actually having a problem with it--the game locks up at the part where you go outside the castle (from the rotating room). I don't know if its my disk or my Saturn, since I have no other games to test. I'm gonna see if I can acquire some today tho.

A local store had Enemy Zero, and I'll keep an eye peeled for Lunacy. In general I'm trying to collect as many horror-themed games as I can get my grubby little mitts on, for whatever system they may be available for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second the recommendation for Lunacy. I just recently played through it again. Fantastic game. It's amazing how there never seem to be any load times.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I remember playing Mansion Sega CD as a kid and being scared to death of it's atmosphere and story. I say play both! The technology on the Sega CD wasn't quite there yet, so it almost lends itself to being scarier! I also though the Saturn version was more or less a sequel. Am I right?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    I remember playing Mansion Sega CD as a kid and being scared to death of it's atmosphere and story. I say play both! The technology on the Sega CD wasn't quite there yet, so it almost lends itself to being scarier! I also though the Saturn version was more or less a sequel. Am I right?
    Your absolutely Correct. I think Sega figured no one would know since the Sega CD didn't infiltrate that many homes. Same name but different games, Saturn version being somewhat of a sequel.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Technically, the Sega CD game is called Mansion of Hidden Souls, and the Saturn game is called The Mansion of Hidden Souls. See, that's not confusing at all.

Actually, in Japan, they didn't have the same title. Nor in Europe I don't think. Some US mags even called it Mansion of Hidden Souls 2 in their previews, so I don't know why Sega titled it the way they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I agree that the first one is creepier. It's short, but a quality game nonetheless.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

FWIW, I find the SEGA CD original to be far creepier and atmospheric than the Saturn installment. The fact that the technology was so primitive seemed to add to the creepiness of the game. The grainy visuals have a Silent Hill'esque sort of feeling, and the dark muddled environments really made me feel uneasy back in the day.

The sequel really did nothing for me at all, honestly. I wanted to like it (I REALLY wanted to like it), but it just wasn't that great to me. I didn't dislike it, exactly, I just didn't get taken in by it the way I did the original.

Before I played it, I actually thought that the Saturn version was an updated port of the original, and suggested it highly to a friend. When he was talking about it over the phone things sounded a lot different, and then I watched him play it one day and was really thrown off.

Anyway, Mansion of Hidden Souls is one of my favorite SEGA CD games, and a horror game classic, IMO.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    FWIW, I find the SEGA CD original to be far creepier and atmospheric than the Saturn installment. The fact that the technology was so primitive seemed to add to the creepiness of the game. The grainy visuals have a Silent Hill'esque sort of feeling, and the dark muddled environments really made me feel uneasy back in the day.

The sequel really did nothing for me at all, honestly. I wanted to like it (I REALLY wanted to like it), but it just wasn't that great to me. I didn't dislike it, exactly, I just didn't get taken in by it the way I did the original.

Before I played it, I actually thought that the Saturn version was an updated port of the original, and suggested it highly to a friend. When he was talking about it over the phone things sounded a lot different, and then I watched him play it one day and was really thrown off.

Anyway, Mansion of Hidden Souls is one of my favorite SEGA CD games, and a horror game classic, IMO.
    Yeah, the butterflies are way creepier than the rendered faces in the sequel. I'm with you. I wanted to like the saturn game but I just had trouble getting into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember renting the Saturn game and beating it in a couple hours.

There's a connection between Mansion and Lunacy (besides being developed by System Sacom) - there's a guy in the latter who collects butterflies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So.

Enemy Zero
    Lunacy

any other horror games I need to add to my hit-list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you ever get into imports, there's Deep Fear, a Resident Evil-style game. The Japanese version is cheaper and more plentiful than the European version, but at least the voice acting's in English.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I REALLY didn't like MOHS on the Saturn. It was almost campy by how lame it was. The Sega CD game is great though, and it plays wonderfully with the Mega Mouse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, my MOHS for Sega CD came in the mail today.

There was one problem though: the game was so horribly scratched up, it wouldn't play. Even after I ran it through a Skip Doctor twice, the disc still looks like someone practiced using a knife on it, and the Sega CD refuses to even see it.

The case and manual are in really good condition. All I need is a good disc. If anyone's got a disc-only copy of MOHS that has light or no scratches and plays fine, I'll buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

my Saturn version of MOHS came in today. Fortunately, this one works, but I'm almost reluctant to get into it because its a sequel and I hate playing out-of-order.

did a bit anyway though, just to test it. Loved the story the little girl tells. Think the whole "everyone is a floating head" thing is silly, and it took me awhile to get the hang of the "answering yes or no" questions bit (it would help if there was a prompt of some sort).