Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twisted metal ps3 demo, way to hard with shabby controls

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Twisted metal ps3 demo, way to hard with shabby controls

Have any of you guys tried the demo for the twisted remake on ps3? I expected it to be hard but holy hell the a.i. is ridiculous. They dog pile you and take you out before you have a chance to do any real damage. The controls are floaty as well and I'm not too crazy about the layout and the primary and secondary weapons deal doesn’t always work well. Gone is the tight cornering and spinning 360’s. Whenever someone is behind you hitting you with everything they have you’re screwed. I have played through all of the twisted metal games (yes even 3 and 4) and this is just too damn hard to play and not fun at all in its current state.
    The online seems to be down or broken as well. I tried to get online five times before I gave up.
    I hope these things are fixed in the retail version. For now I canceled my amazon preorder. I'm eagerly waiting for some e reviews of the full game before I throw down my cash. What a bummer I have been looking forward to this game for months.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Hard AI and floaty controls?

Sounds like most Twisted Metal games to me. Black especially.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

This is a bummer to hear.

I'm going to download the level and give it a shot anyway.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I liked the game. The reason that the AI was entirely against you was that it's a single player challenge mode. I will agree that the controls aren't as good as Twisted Metal 2 and 3, which none are unfortunately, allowing you to do a spin then completely stop, but they're not really bad and they work. The online though doesn't work either. I've tried to get on five or 10 times before I just altogether quit.

Anyways, I first played the training to get down what the buttons are, and then I did the single player challenge mode with Reaper, a Mr. Grimm style vehicle. With the Reaper's special, you throw a chainsaw which unlike Mr. Grimm's missile blast type thing, takes a good second delay as the character pulls it back and throws it. One cool thing that you can do with the Reaper special is hold down to do a wheelie until the chainsaw is on fire. The regular chainsaw will only take off 40, but the fire chainsaw will take off 140. I killed one car, Crimson Fury with the fire chainsaw in a single hit, stating it took off 110 damage(so essentially max health.)

I played Crimson Fury afterwards and like the character better because of the characters speed. Crimson Fury I actually did much better at and happened to die when I had two enemies left, both of them had almost no health.

Better than the other Twisted Metal games, you no longer have to hit left, right, up for ice, or left, right, down for reverse fire, or even up, up, left for jump. They're now simple actions like digital up, digital left, l1+r1. I forget what digital right does.

They also have all your items listed in a row on the bottom sort of greyed out so you can see what you're currently on instead of showing the item you're on in the right corner. Now you know exactly what you'll be switching to. HP and Turbo is on the bottom right. Machine gun is on the bottom left, along with whether you can use one of the digital specials.

I never tried Nuke mode, and don't think you can even do that on single player, but if it was a regular single player match instead of the insanely difficult challenge mode, then I'm sure those that don't like it would like it much more. If the online worked, then everyone would also like it much more. Honestly, I wasn't interested in getting the game day one, but after playing the demo, I'm pretty interested in the game now.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Twisted metal ps3 demo, way to hard, UPDATED!

I was reading through David jaffe's(twisted metal creator) twitter feed and he said "final game is NOWHERE near as hard as in demo." And he also mentiond that the online has two porblems one of which is already fixed. I've been working with the new controls and there diffrent but they work. I guess I will be havin' a hell of a time on the 14th. Twisted metal,pizza and lotz of pepsi. Good times, hell to the ya!

Last edited by rlemmon; 02-02-2012 at 04:08 AM. Reason: error

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was why I stopped playing Twisted Metal games after Black. The game was just too hard and became too frustrating after a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im still remaining confident that the retail release will be good, I've been looking forward to this game for quite sometime now, never really got into the older Twisted games.
    WANTS: Atari 2600/ Playstation Vita

Solitudine Il Cacciatore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It seems like the servers are only up midday as this is the only time during the day I've attempted to go online. They never work during the night time but I instantly got in during the day. The online is well done. I'm running at 15mb/s so that might be why, but I didn't notice any lag and it's extremely fun. It's like going to a friends and staying up playing Twisted Metal 2 all day long but better because you're not required to leave your house(as lazy as this sounds.) Unfortunately there's no way to play with friends on the demo, so will have to wait until the full game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't find it that hard, but I used Outlaw.

I died right away trying it the first time, but then I used training mode and the second attempt I had no problems wiping out the enemies.
    Last edited by Nate Nanjo; 02-03-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Nanjo View Post
    I didn't find it that hard, but I used Outlaw.

I died right away trying it the first time, but then I used training mode and the second attempt I had no problems wiping out the enemies.
    Yeah. All the enemies going right after you are a bit hard. I found out that Crimson Fury has 110 max hp and Reaper has 90. Any of the others I can do fine with but those two are difficult to finish the demo with. It's also kind of cheap, but if I'm playing online and see one of those characters, I already know I'm going to kill them easily so I go right for them lower hp or not.

Anyways, I've been playing the demo a lot and then today getting online I guess I'm above average. I got second place one time, but every other time I got first place. My last two online matches have been 14/15 vehicles. I was first with 10k/3d. Next match was 13/15 vehicles 10k/1d. Damage taken and received was 1897/702. I've been using Meat Wagon online mostly, but I've used Outlaw and Talon as well.

This has been one of the best games I've played in awhile. This demo's got me to change my mind from "interested because it's Twisted Metal" to "fucking awesome, buying it day one."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't have a problem with the enemies coming right at me, except that Vermin and Meat Wagon were incredibly annoying.

I will try online later, but I really don't want to play this game while my son is awake.

Not because of the violence and stuff, but I think Sweet Tooth would give him nightmares.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Nanjo View Post
    I didn't have a problem with the enemies coming right at me,
    Try playing as Reaper on the single player demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Try playing as Reaper on the single player demo.

Nah, I've never been a fan of Mr. Grimm at all. So I know I won't do to go with Reaper.

I did play as Crimson Fury, it took me 3 tries, but I beat the stage. His special weapon sucks.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

It's challenging sure but the controls dont feel any different from Black to me. I really love it personally
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just got done playing the demo. It was frustrating as hell imo. I'll pick it up in a few months when its 20 bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone buying it today? I finally caved and bought a PS3 off eBay yesterday, should be here by the weekend. I've managed to put off a PS3 purchase for all these years, but this is the game that sold me.

Hope to pick it up Friday, and would love to get any firsthand opinions from any TM fans.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

It's on its way from Amazon as we speak
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've already beaten Twisted Metal single player, which for those who aren't interested in playing multiplayer with either friends or online, then don't bother, as I'd rate the game a 1/5. The three storylines with Sweet Tooth, Doll Face, and Mr. Grimm are all pretty good for being obviously B rated. It's something you'd expect from the Twisted Metal games.

The online is where the real game is at though, and it's quite obvious since Twisted Metal has always been about the multiplayer. The stages on this Twisted Metal I can say finally atleast match those in Twisted Metal 2. You have a few major maps, and then you can reduce the size of these maps depending on how large the game you're playing.

Twisted Metal can be played casually, just driving around shooting everyone, but the game has a lot of skill and strategy to it as well. Special weapons like freeze, mine, shield, and firing your weapons backwards are hotlinked to the digital pad while analog is for driving. Aside from the full Diablo Pass, which is mostly one long road with mountains and the town at the end, all the stages are designed very well.

While the multiplayer is good, the online is a little bit lacking. The filters reset after you enter a game(successfully or not) or back out. Atleast a good three fourths of your attempts at getting in a match will be met with server errors, and then sometimes you'll get in a match where the host doesn't start the game. There are a few additions that need to be done, like an option to change host for not starting the game depending on a vote system and there needs to be a way to set up some sort of favorites system to the filters. Online needs to work better overall. But whenever you get into a game it's amazing.

My favorite stage is probably still the stage from the demo, but Ghost Town Gulch(half of Diablo Pass,) LA Skyline, and Metro Square are my other favorites.

Aside from being in two totally different states, LA Skyline is a modernized remake of New York from Twisted Metal 2 and is an amazing stage. As soon as you crash through the skylights on one rooftop and land in the pool, you'll be hit with some major nostalgia.

Just today they've finally released the custom vehicle mode online. I suck at art programs, terrible at them, but I made a version of Ecto-1 for Meat Wagon. While it looks crappy outside of the game, the in game touches that are made actually fix the vehicle up and it looks really good. Anyways. Here's my first custom vehicle.

So anyways. What would I say about the final game? For the entire package it's worth getting if you're interested in Twisted Metal at all and you're going to play multiplayer. It's a really good game and even at $60 I think it was worth it despite it's flaws.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I loved the old Twisted Metal games. I'm really thinking about buying a PS3 for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I actually did buy a PS3 for just this game ($225 used 160 slim bundle off eBay). So I'm definitely a Twisted Metal diehard if I basically dropped $300 just to play it. Started playing it over the weekend and it's just what I'd expect from this franchise.

Single player is short, but tough. I'm on the last stage now and I'm sure I'll beat it in a day or two. It made me die enough times where I turned it off last night and I'll try today. Not controller-breaking hard, just enough to annoy you and require a very nice run to beat it.

Combat is VERY fast paced and intense. The charge and release weapons add a new element to gameplay. Cars are pretty diverse, but the specials are a bit generic (multiple cars with "chain gun"). Doesn't detract much from the overall feel though, and is probably needed to create balance.

I'll get to try out multi soon enough, but I'm excited about it. I also agree the maps are pretty phenomenal and have great layouts.

I also am a fan of the "Mario Kart" style races. Instead of just deathmatch, some of the levels require racing and shooting all along the way. Definitely a first for Twisted Metal, but it feels just right.

If you are only playing single player though, definitely wait for a price drop. Probably 10-15 hours of single player content, then the rest would be multiplayer.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!