Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default RetroDuo Portable Video Review - SNES & NES 2-in-1

Hey guys, I thought I'd share with you my video review of the newly released RetroDuo Portable. This unit is the third of the portable SNES clones, but is third time a charm? I've split this review into two parts - hardware review and games compatibility stress test. I should have the second part up tomorrow. When I do, I'll add it to this thread.

for now, the hardware review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1H-HhZNH4

And again, for those curious on my thoughts on the other two portable SNES clones:

Yobo FC-16 GO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqLpKKWgC4

Hyperkin Supaboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

nice review....crap product.

Good SNES portables are like a jumping elephant...they don't exist.

just my opinion...everyone else is free to throw away their money.

thank you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default As usual, MyTurnToPlay adding 0 value

Why is this guy still allowed to post here, again?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    nice review....crap product.

Good SNES portables are like a jumping elephant...they don't exist.

just my opinion...everyone else is free to throw away their money.

thank you.
    So, enlighten me.

If those are your feelings, why is it that you feel compelled to categorically/religiously respond in every iteration of every portable SNES clone thread?

Without diminishing you RIGHT to post ... why not just ignore these threads if you hate clone SNES hardware so much?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Do not feed the troll. It's best for all of us if we simply completely and utterly ignore MyTurnToPlay.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread with zero replies thus far!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Do not feed the troll. It's best for all of us if we simply completely and utterly ignore MyTurnToPlay.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread with zero replies thus far!
    Fair enough. I still need to watch your review, which I can't do at work ... though I will later this evening.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tried watching it on mute at work with the closed captions on but that's a show in itself. I certainly had trouble understanding your comments about "public pollen" and "student market." After having watched properly, I definitely appreciate the review.

I'll tell ya, the face button problem is a huge problem for me. As an avid Mega Man X player, I've become extremely proficient at rocking my thumb across Y, B, & A. If I can't properly reproduce my play style on this thing then that's a giant black mark. And the D-pad thing is just plain stupid.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-15-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking forward to the other half of this review. I'm still enjoying my Supaboy(audio issue and all), but I'm definitely interested in how the competition stacks up. Speaking of the Supaboy, couldn't you just get a 1/8" plug at radio shack or somewhere, without the cord, just the plug and put it in the A/V socket to use external controllers in portable mode? I haven't tried it, but seeing as the screen stays on even with the A/V cords plugged in, it seems like a viable option to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio View Post
    Looking forward to the other half of this review. I'm still enjoying my Supaboy(audio issue and all), but I'm definitely interested in how the competition stacks up. Speaking of the Supaboy, couldn't you just get a 1/8" plug at radio shack or somewhere, without the cord, just the plug and put it in the A/V socket to use external controllers in portable mode? I haven't tried it, but seeing as the screen stays on even with the A/V cords plugged in, it seems like a viable option to me.
    When I had my Supaboy, you could still use controllers in portable mode. Though only clone and 3rd party controllers, unfortunately official Nintendo as well as Nintendo licensed controllers don't seem to work in portable mode. I don't know why that is, but it's really strange.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio View Post
    couldn't you just get a 1/8" plug at radio shack or somewhere, without the cord, just the plug and put it in the A/V socket to use external controllers in portable mode? I haven't tried it, but seeing as the screen stays on even with the A/V cords plugged in, it seems like a viable option to me.
    except you wouldnt get any sound output that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

except you wouldnt get any sound output that way.
    Yeah, I thought about that a bit after I posted. Though there might be some way to get sound from the A/V port via headphones or something. That'd semi-solve the buzz issue, too.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, the A/V jack is a 2.5mm plug instead of a traditional 3.5mm headphone plug. I'll dig out one of my 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters in the next few days and see if I can get audio from it via headphones that way. Also, sorry to derail this thread with Supaboy talk.
    Last edited by eggwolio; 02-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess what rubs me the wrong way is that all the problems with this thing sound like very basic issues that should have been easily addressed during the design phase. Is there really a reason for the D-pad and buttons to not look/function to SNES specs other than an arbitrary desire to deviate for the hell of it? It's especially egregious since the separate controllers prove they most certainly had the capacity to conform. Weird compatibility problems are expected with clones and are often forgivable given the technology. But basic stuff like this is pretty ridiculous for a device that, in all other ways, looks to be amazingly comfortable to hold. It's almost like self-sabotage. "We're making a clone system so we must make certain to deliberately mess something up!"
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-16-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I couldn't agree more. The system is so close to being the definitive best but it has a few small but annoying flaws that keep it about on equal footing with its competition. The FC-16 Go and the Supaboy are both functional though flawed through their cheap parts, but the only noticable problems with the RDP are all ill conceived design choices.

I'm hoping to have the follow up review done soon.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't agree more. The system is so close to being the definitive best but it has a few small but annoying flaws that keep it about on equal footing with its competition. The FC-16 Go and the Supaboy are both functional though flawed through their cheap parts, but the only noticable problems with the RDP are all ill conceived design choices.

I'm hoping to have the follow up review done soon.
    i'm glad the screen doesn't flicker like on my pokefami dx when i'm not using headphones, but i'm still curious if it's the same one. have you opened 'er up? can you tell me the part number on the ribbon connecting the screen to the board? if it's the same one...hmm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Alright guys, part 2, the SNES compatibility stress test video is up! Stay tuned for part 3 where I throw the NES NOAC through the ringer. For now, here's SNES performance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1-TekJP-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As it turns out, the fault lies in the shitty composite cable the RDP comes with. Just curious if it would work, I tried using the AV cable that came with the FC-16 Go (or the Supaboy, I'm not quite sure as I didn't label which AV cable goes to what) and lo and behold, all the composite video problems vanished. So if you're buying a RDP for use with a TV, you must also buy a quality 3.5mm to RCA adapter on your own. The one it comes with is shit.
    The Supaboy cable is 2.5mm to RCA, so I'm betting you used the one for the FC-16 Go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

After watching all three reviews I must say I'm tempted to get it to play SNES games on the go. It would be nice to be able to play NES games as well, but I think it's something they should have just left out. Seeing the adapter, it's just ridiculous. I know it can't be helped, but still. I could almost look past that, but all the issues it has playing various NES games would keep me from even bothering from using that aspect of it at all.

I think someone just needs to focus on making a good NES portable clone. Something like an over sized Game Boy where the cartridge can fit all the way in the body. Oh, and that actually plays the games without issues.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Well, there is the FC Mobile II, but that's kinda a piece of junk. I've love an NES portable like you're describing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'll be recording the forth and final part tonight. If anyone has requests for any NES or SNES games they'd like shown that I haven't yet, let me know. I'd like to get everything out on the table as much as possible before finishing off the review completely.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be recording the forth and final part tonight. If anyone has requests for any NES or SNES games they'd like shown that I haven't yet, let me know. I'd like to get everything out on the table as much as possible before finishing off the review completely.
    Earthbound