Thread: RetroDuo Portable Video Review - SNES & NES 2-in-1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio View Post
    couldn't you just get a 1/8" plug at radio shack or somewhere, without the cord, just the plug and put it in the A/V socket to use external controllers in portable mode? I haven't tried it, but seeing as the screen stays on even with the A/V cords plugged in, it seems like a viable option to me.
    except you wouldnt get any sound output that way.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    except you wouldnt get any sound output that way.
    Yeah, I thought about that a bit after I posted. Though there might be some way to get sound from the A/V port via headphones or something. That'd semi-solve the buzz issue, too.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, the A/V jack is a 2.5mm plug instead of a traditional 3.5mm headphone plug. I'll dig out one of my 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters in the next few days and see if I can get audio from it via headphones that way. Also, sorry to derail this thread with Supaboy talk.
    Last edited by eggwolio; 02-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess what rubs me the wrong way is that all the problems with this thing sound like very basic issues that should have been easily addressed during the design phase. Is there really a reason for the D-pad and buttons to not look/function to SNES specs other than an arbitrary desire to deviate for the hell of it? It's especially egregious since the separate controllers prove they most certainly had the capacity to conform. Weird compatibility problems are expected with clones and are often forgivable given the technology. But basic stuff like this is pretty ridiculous for a device that, in all other ways, looks to be amazingly comfortable to hold. It's almost like self-sabotage. "We're making a clone system so we must make certain to deliberately mess something up!"
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-16-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I couldn't agree more. The system is so close to being the definitive best but it has a few small but annoying flaws that keep it about on equal footing with its competition. The FC-16 Go and the Supaboy are both functional though flawed through their cheap parts, but the only noticable problems with the RDP are all ill conceived design choices.

I'm hoping to have the follow up review done soon.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't agree more. The system is so close to being the definitive best but it has a few small but annoying flaws that keep it about on equal footing with its competition. The FC-16 Go and the Supaboy are both functional though flawed through their cheap parts, but the only noticable problems with the RDP are all ill conceived design choices.

I'm hoping to have the follow up review done soon.
    i'm glad the screen doesn't flicker like on my pokefami dx when i'm not using headphones, but i'm still curious if it's the same one. have you opened 'er up? can you tell me the part number on the ribbon connecting the screen to the board? if it's the same one...hmm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Alright guys, part 2, the SNES compatibility stress test video is up! Stay tuned for part 3 where I throw the NES NOAC through the ringer. For now, here's SNES performance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1-TekJP-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this might sound completely weird and offbeat, but I was actually very excited when you showed the grainy composite video. It feels so nostalgic, like on TVs I had when I was younger. I would hate a grainy video on the portable screen, but with the TV I think that's more awesome than a sharp picture. I'm probably crazy in that regard ha ha.

Thank you for the review videos Satoshi, they have certainly influenced my purchasing decision. I'm impressed by the RDP, but I very much wish that the D-Pad problems were fixed. I'm trying to decide between purchasing now or waiting to see if the D-Pad problem will be fixed in a potential second run. Do you think that's likely? Either way, do you guys all think it's worth the money? I'll wait, obviously, for Satoshi's review of the retroport, but I'm a little less concerned about the true quality of that side (as long as I can get most games running, and running without -excessively- annoying sound issues).
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I'm impressed by the RDP, but I very much wish that the D-Pad problems were fixed. I'm trying to decide between purchasing now or waiting to see if the D-Pad problem will be fixed in a potential second run. Do you think that's likely?.
    Well there are now three versions of the Retro Duo console, and so I would assume that Retro-Bit will produce another version of the RDP eventually as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I know this might sound completely weird and offbeat, but I was actually very excited when you showed the grainy composite video. It feels so nostalgic, like on TVs I had when I was younger. I would hate a grainy video on the portable screen, but with the TV I think that's more awesome than a sharp picture. I'm probably crazy in that regard ha ha.

Thank you for the review videos Satoshi, they have certainly influenced my purchasing decision. I'm impressed by the RDP, but I very much wish that the D-Pad problems were fixed. I'm trying to decide between purchasing now or waiting to see if the D-Pad problem will be fixed in a potential second run. Do you think that's likely? Either way, do you guys all think it's worth the money? I'll wait, obviously, for Satoshi's review of the retroport, but I'm a little less concerned about the true quality of that side (as long as I can get most games running, and running without -excessively- annoying sound issues).
    You know, I kinda sorta agree with you. The grainy video is almost nostalgic. Almost. According to Hyperkin, they're run 13 revisions of the RetorN3 since it was introduced. There's also at least two versions of the Supaboy thus far. Three versions of the RetroDuo. I don't think its unreasonable to assume that there will be future revisions of the RDP. As for if they address tehe probelms of the 1.0 without introducing new ones though, that's anyone's guess. I'm betting that they won't probably touch the dpad in any meaningful way for several revisions, just as RetroBit hasn't touched the audio amp issues of the standard RetroDuo even as of version 3.0.

Do I think it's worth the money? Well......that's a complicated answer, and one I wont get into until the final part of my review.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right. I'm actually a little afraid that that the included controller quality will be destroyed on the next run. In that case, it would only be worth it -if- the D-Pad is fixed, and that's not guaranteed. It's a gamble either way, which worries me.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In defense of the issue shown with the NES adapter late in part 2 of that YouTube video, that's exactly how Nintendo has handled GBA compatibility on the DS. A and B are rigidly mapped to A and B on the DS instead of Y and B like any developer would've relied on for two primary buttons on an actual Super Nintendo or Nintendo DS game.

Plug in any of the Mario Advance games into a DS or DS Lite (Or the NES Classics release of SMB). Instead of running with Y and jumping with B, you're stuck running with B and jumping with A since Nintendo themselves rigidly mapped the GBA's A and B buttons to the A and B buttons on the DS to have the lettering match rather than doing the sensible thing and actually making it usable for gameplay (Or at least providing an option in the system software to remap the buttons when playing GBA games). Somehow, that doesn't bother some people (In fact a few have been completely puzzled here at DP in the past when I've complained about it when discussing the suitability of a DS Lite as a GBA replacement), so it's nice to see someone else complaining about the same issue.

Although if Nintendo can get it wrong with GBA compatibility on the DS, I'm inclined to give these guys a pass. Not like anyone is going to buying this NES adapter for anything more than a curiousity anyways (Between the usual NOAC issues, the issues with this handheld in general, and the size of the thing when you want to play a NES game, I can't imagine anyone utilizing it as a handheld NES for any amount of time).

In fact, you yourself don't mind these same button mapping issues when using something like your SuperNes controller to play Game Boy games on a GBP or when using a Nintendo DS to play GBA games.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...=1#post1864879

I know this might sound completely weird and offbeat, but I was actually very excited when you showed the grainy composite video. It feels so nostalgic, like on TVs I had when I was younger.
    When I first got my Super Nintendo back in 1995, I played it via an RF connection to a new 13" color tv. And it looked far better than what I'm seeing in that video connected to a tv via composite.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-18-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Satoshi, I started testing my Pokefami DX again while watching the second part of your RDP review. I actually couldn't get Mario to do that awesome moon run by pushing the dpad in, unless I really tried. How'd you get it to do that every time? I'm starting to think maybe there are some slight differences between these devices. I also don't have any on-screen issues when carts don't seat properly - if they don't connect properly, they just don't start up. I usually only have this issue with the Super Everdrive, by the way.

Anyway, great work as always.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Here's a list of games I've confirmed so far that work perfectly on the RDP

ActRaiser
    ActRaiser 2
    battleclash
    Cool Spot
    Chrono Trigger
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2 Diddy's Kong Quest
    Donkey Kong Country 3 Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
    Earthworm Jim
    EarthBound
    Equinox
    F-Zero
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy VI
    Gokujou Parodius
    Hunt for Red October
    Killer Instinct
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    Mario Paint
    Megaman Soccer
    Megaman 7
    Megaman X
    Megaman X2
    Parodius Da!
    Phalanx
    Pilotwings
    Puzzle Bobble
    R-Type III The Third Lightening
    Ranma 1/2 Chounai Gekitou Hen
    Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle
    Road Runner
    Robocop vs the Terminator
    Rock 'n Roll Racing
    Rockman & Forte
    Run Saber
    Sim City
    Super Battle Tank 2
    Super Bomberman 2
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Earth Defense force
    Super Famicom Wars
    Super GameBoy
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario RPG 1.1
    Super Mario World
    Super PowerPak
    Super Punch-Out!!
    Super R-Type
    Super Scope 6
    Super Star Wars
    Super Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
    Super Star Wars Return of the Jedi
    Star Fox
    Star Fox 2 Reproduction
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine Crossroads of Time
    Star Trek Starfleet Academy
    Star Trek The Next Generation
    Street Combat
    Stunt Race FX
    Tales of Phantasia
    Tin Star
    Tiny Toon Adventures Buster Busts Loose
    Ultraman
    Vortex
    Yoshi's Island
    Yoshi's Safari
    Zombies Ate my Neighbors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    In defense of the issue shown with the NES adapter late in part 2 of that YouTube video, that's exactly how Nintendo has handled GBA compatibility on the DS. A and B are rigidly mapped to A and B on the DS instead of Y and B like any developer would've relied on for two primary buttons on an actual Super Nintendo or Nintendo DS game.
    I know, and the Super GameBoy did the same thing. Only with the SGB, Nintendo had the decency to allow players to switch between using Y and B or B and A. In my view, using B and A is stupid and unnatural since those are not the primary buttons of the SNES. In example after example, the A button is only used as a secondary button. In Super Mario World, it's the spin jump. In Megaman X, its the dash. In most shmups, its an emergency smart bomb.

My main criticism is that Nintendo designed the SNES controller to be electrically compatable with the NES. If you make a converter to use an SNES controller on the NES, the NES inputs get mapped to SNES Y and B. Nintendo never took advantage of this in anyway, so its only the curious modding community that discovered this.

The point being is that since Nintendo choose to do this, they laid down the foundation for clones like the standalone RetroDuo. It can get away with not having NES controller ports because the NES and SNES controllers are electrically the same and Nintendo did the button mapping for them already.

On the RetroPort, the chinese designers would have had to deliberately disregard this and go in and remap the controls themselves from scratch. THAT's what I find so head scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    When I first got my Super Nintendo back in 1995, I played it via an RF connection to a new 13" color tv. And it looked far better than what I'm seeing in that video connected to a tv via composite.
    As it turns out, the fault lies in the shitty composite cable the RDP comes with. Just curious if it would work, I tried using the AV cable that came with the FC-16 Go (or the Supaboy, I'm not quite sure as I didn't label which AV cable goes to what) and lo and behold, all the composite video problems vanished. So if you're buying a RDP for use with a TV, you must also buy a quality 3.5mm to RCA adapter on your own. The one it comes with is shit.

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    How'd you get it to do that every time?
    It doesn't occur on every game, just Mario 3 on Mario All-Stars. Or maybe just my copy. Mario All Stars is a game that did see several revisions. All you do is press firmly in the middle of the dpad, and the game does the rest.

Anyway guys, here's the much anticipated part 3 where I showcase and stress test the NES RetroPort that the RDP comes with. Which NES games will it play well, which will it fail miserably at? Come find out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3aJn2rqxGc

I had hoped to make this the final installment, but I ran out of time that youtube will allow. So therefore, I'll be bringing you guys one final video installment where I'll showcase a few more games people have asked me if they run on the RDP and give my final thoughts and verdict on the RDP.

Enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As it turns out, the fault lies in the shitty composite cable the RDP comes with. Just curious if it would work, I tried using the AV cable that came with the FC-16 Go (or the Supaboy, I'm not quite sure as I didn't label which AV cable goes to what) and lo and behold, all the composite video problems vanished. So if you're buying a RDP for use with a TV, you must also buy a quality 3.5mm to RCA adapter on your own. The one it comes with is shit.
    The Supaboy cable is 2.5mm to RCA, so I'm betting you used the one for the FC-16 Go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

After watching all three reviews I must say I'm tempted to get it to play SNES games on the go. It would be nice to be able to play NES games as well, but I think it's something they should have just left out. Seeing the adapter, it's just ridiculous. I know it can't be helped, but still. I could almost look past that, but all the issues it has playing various NES games would keep me from even bothering from using that aspect of it at all.

I think someone just needs to focus on making a good NES portable clone. Something like an over sized Game Boy where the cartridge can fit all the way in the body. Oh, and that actually plays the games without issues.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Well, there is the FC Mobile II, but that's kinda a piece of junk. I've love an NES portable like you're describing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'll be recording the forth and final part tonight. If anyone has requests for any NES or SNES games they'd like shown that I haven't yet, let me know. I'd like to get everything out on the table as much as possible before finishing off the review completely.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be recording the forth and final part tonight. If anyone has requests for any NES or SNES games they'd like shown that I haven't yet, let me know. I'd like to get everything out on the table as much as possible before finishing off the review completely.
    Earthbound

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by satoshi_matrix View Post
    here's a list of games i've confirmed so far that work perfectly on the rdp

actraiser
    actraiser 2
    battleclash
    cool spot
    chrono trigger
    donkey kong country
    donkey kong country 2 diddy's kong quest
    donkey kong country 3 dixie kong's double trouble
    earthworm jim
    earthbound
    equinox
    f-zero
    final fantasy iv
    final fantasy vi
    gokujou parodius
    hunt for red october
    killer instinct
    legend of the mystical ninja
    mario paint
    megaman soccer
    megaman 7
    megaman x
    megaman x2
    parodius da!
    Phalanx
    pilotwings
    puzzle bobble
    r-type iii the third lightening
    ranma 1/2 chounai gekitou hen
    ranma 1/2 hard battle
    road runner
    robocop vs the terminator
    rock 'n roll racing
    rockman & forte
    run saber
    sim city
    super battle tank 2
    super bomberman 2
    super castlevania iv
    super earth defense force
    super famicom wars
    super gameboy
    super mario all-stars
    super mario rpg 1.1
    super mario world
    super powerpak
    super punch-out!!
    Super r-type
    super scope 6
    super star wars
    super star wars empire strikes back
    super star wars return of the jedi
    star fox
    star fox 2 reproduction
    star trek deep space nine crossroads of time
    star trek starfleet academy
    star trek the next generation
    street combat
    stunt race fx
    tales of phantasia
    tin star
    tiny toon adventures buster busts loose
    ultraman
    vortex
    yoshi's island
    yoshi's safari
    zombies ate my neighbors
    dude, you are the man!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett