Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here we go again...another game recession coming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

I would have to say I am seeing more of a shift to buying new games instead of used. With popular games amazon offers very fair trade in offers, and gamestop as well when you hit the right promotion. With the amount of games now coming with one time use online passes or codes it becomes a greater expense or risk to buy used. Also used game prices have in my eyes been climbing up to the point where it isnt worth buying used. Gamestop used to have everything in stock and it is not uncommon anymore that they are out of stock of used games.
    Autobots. Roll out.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default Here we go...another post on whether game sales are going to be in the toilet?

At least we're not seeing threads like this one being posted every quarter or so like they used to be.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...-crash-in-1984
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...h!!!-THIS-YEAR!!
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...u-Are-At-Fault
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...lump&highlight

(it pains me to link to a zmweasel post, but):
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ey-re-Effed-Up

Some of those date back to 2004. People were probably saying the same thing since the 1990s. There's no crash, sales aren't going to drop off a cliff, life will go on, people will continue gaming. Etc., etc.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I recall writing a blog post about this subject. Short version is: gaming is too big now for something like the "crash" to happen again.

The worst I could see happening is games going the way of comics, where once they were a cornerstone of our culture but now they're a niche medium that only nerds know or care about (and even then, they're still well-known thanks to movie adaptations).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I think that some here thought that I was hinting at another crash. Not at all, but merely expressing that that the game industry could easily fall into a recession. As my post says, this was not intended to be a doom and gloom report. What I am merely bringing up is that there is a possibility that the next years will be a dip, a recession, a pause. I believe that what the game industry experienced in the mid 90s when games jumped from 16 bit carts to 32 bit CDs could happen again. It was a rough transition. Many game companies suffered. The technology was all over the place.

The future of videogames as we buy it will drastically change over the next ten years, both good and bad.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think we're entering a gaming recession, but I think we'll be entering one of those weird temporary game droughts in the next 1-2 years? As the current console generation winds down over the next few years and the new consoles come out, we might see a decline in quality games being released for current consoles b/c they'll be coming out later for next gen consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Game drought...yep, that might be a good description of what it might be.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

if it does happen it will be because of the economy more than anything. I know I can't afford the hobby anymore but I'm hopeful once everything is sorted out financially for me and my family that I can get some of the new hardware and a 360 again (vita, 3ds) and then you have the new consoles around the corner

Also if they'd lower game prices especially on the handhelds that would help as well. Actually the consoles are still pretty damn spendy to considering how old they are.

wii-drop to 100
    360- drop 50-100?
    ps3 see above

a dream I know but hey nothing wrong with that right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I don't think we're entering a gaming recession, but I think we'll be entering one of those weird temporary game droughts in the next 1-2 years? As the current console generation winds down over the next few years and the new consoles come out, we might see a decline in quality games being released for current consoles b/c they'll be coming out later for next gen consoles.
    100% this.

It happens at the end of every hardware generation. When consoles are out for more than five years, we see a lull in sales and game releases. This is the normal cycle of the industry.

Gamers, please stop getting amnesia (and panicking) every several years!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually enjoy the sequel formula when done in moderation. I just bought a PS3 last week simply to experience the new Twisted Metal!
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to big-budget polygonal extravaganzas, I think the game industry is at its absolute peak with this current generation and that it has no where to go from here but down, and it will begin with the next generation of consoles. I don't think there will be a sudden crash or anything like that, just a slow steady decline over the course of a few years, and it's going to go all the way to the bottom of the mountain.

Most people are gaming for the novelty of it all, to have new experiences, but I don't think the graphics of next gen systems will be such a leap to make the same old experiences feel new again, like we've seen with previous generations. Without the amazing graphics to distract them, people will come to realize that they've had these experience already, and as a result, they will slowly but surely begin to lose interest in it all.

When this thing bottoms out, all that will remain are the gamers who play for the challenge. Some call them hardcore gamers. But sadly they are a just a small group whose numbers are shrinking every year, so don't expect them to save the industry.

Lot's of people will lose jobs, developers will close shop, and the huge corporations will lose so much money they'll regret ever having entered the video game business. And I will be laughing like a maniac when that day comes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    It happens at the end of every hardware generation. When consoles are out for more than five years, we see a lull in sales and game releases. This is the normal cycle of the industry.
    While I agree that is usually the norm it hasn't happened with the 360. They sold more consoles in year six than they did in year five. They should finally start to slow down in sales this year but if not they are going to keep that $299 price tag for the 250 gb model. I would find it amusing if they can again sell more consoles this year(year seven) than they did last year in year six. It would prove that they made the right choice in prolonging this gen although most people approve of that decision anyway because it saves us more money.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Current Gen gaming systems really should get a price drop this year. Would be nice to see a non bare bones PS3 at $199. I wont be holding my breath. The industry is definitely at some sort of crossroads...well see in the next couple of years where that leads us too. I for one am so back logged with games, that either way it does not really matter.