Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volition's Jameson Durall says banning pre-owned games is "fantastic" [Escapist]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

Default Volition's Jameson Durall says banning pre-owned games is "fantastic" [Escapist]

Sorry if this was posted already as it's a bit old... but I could not search for THQ or find it with a quick search.

Original Article Here

Johnathan Grey Carter | 7 February 2012 0:55 am

Volition design director Jameson Durall reckons the idea of next-generation consoles banning pre-owned games is "fantastic."

Durall entered the used-game debate-turned-melee with both fists swinging. He seems particularly enthusiastic about the rumours surrounding the successor to the Xbox 360 and its supposed "anti-used game" technology.

"There's another big rumor about the next Xbox console that could really start to shake things up...it won't play used games at all!" he wrote in a piece called 'I Feel Used'. "Personally I think this would be a fantastic change for our business and even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first...they will grow to understand why and that it won't kill them."

Durall describes current programs designed to mitigate used-game sales, such as project ten dollar and the online pass system, as "just a band-aid on a large wound," before going on to describe his hypothetical, all-new-games utopia in exacting detail.

" The system is already there for Microsoft, all they'd have to do is use the DLC and codes model they have to tie a game to your Xbox live account," he writes. "Each retail disc would likely need that unique key somewhere in the code so the account would be able to link it properly. Ideally it would tie a full version to the console it is registered on so family members can play even if the main account isn't signed in, but this is exactly how their model works now anyway."

Durall admits that such a system would have its faults. Game rental companies, for example, would be rendered moot, but that could be solved by Microsoft implementing its own rental service. Gamers who want to lend games to their friends could conceivably be accommodated by a system similar to Amazon's book lending policy, which transfers the license for a set period of time. These are just minor details, however, Durall maintains that the industry needs to act quickly because dire things are afoot.

"In the end, I fully believe that we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart," he continues. "People often don't understand the cost that goes into creating these huge experiences that we put on the shelves for only $60. They also don't seem to realize how much they are hurting us when they buy a used game and how pirating a copy is just plain stealing. Maybe something as simple as educating them could help solve the problem..."

Source: #AltDevBlogADay

Shitstorm ensues on escapist forums

I wanted to properly attribute the article to the writer so I added his name from the article and the links; hope that is acceptable.

I wasn't planning on going into the next console generation already as I'm quite tired of the path the industry is heading down...but this is rediculous. What are your thoughts?

Feedback
    CAG: 1. 2.
    Ebay: jupitersj
    DP: jupitersj

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Microsoft would be digging their own grave if they did this. It would show that they have lost almost all their concern for their customers in exchange for profit. Not only that but it would give competitors an extreme advantage when it comes to marketing their next gen consoles. 'Hey kids! Would you rather buy all your games new for one time use with online verification or do you just want a disc with the data that you can share freely?' I think they are too smart to try something like this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought Red Faction used due to good reviews for $10 years ago. The risks were small so I didn't mind taking it. Ended up playing through it a few years later, liked it, and went out and bought the sequel new for $20 as a Greatest Hits rerelease and bought the newer games as they were released (Both of which I've yet to spend any significant time with).

If I'm unable to do that in the future, the Volition's of the world can rest assured I won't be taking a risk on their software. I'll buy as I play (Maybe 3-4 big games a year on a console) and won't be buying games with intentions of playing them years down the road since I very well won't be able to due to DRM since I won't really be owning them (So there's $120 Volition wouldn't have from me if the 360 had been that way). So I'd be sticking with safe bets I'm sure I'll enjoy, such as Zelda games from Nintendo and would concentrate even more on classic gaming. And I sure as heck wouldn't be willing to pay anything near $50, $60, or more for pieces of software I don't really own.

Smaller developers like Volition was a decade ago can rest assured that they won't ever get my dollars in their idea of a Utopian future for game developers and publishers that represents vastly increased risks for the consumer with each purchase. I was exposed to their Red Faction series since the risk were low thanks to used games and I could enjoy the game on my own terms when and if I decided to ever do so. And wouldn't you know it, the game was good when I played it and encouraged me to buy future installments new.

If they put half the concern they have about the used game market into their game development where it belongs, I think they'd see significant increases in revenue as consumers like myself positively respond with their wallets. Discouraging consumers sure isn't the way to an improved balance sheet at the end of a year.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

let M$ do the anti used game thing. they will be out for the count and they will claim ignorance because of it. probably something along the lines of "i dont know why our system failed"

used games have alwasye been a huge part of this i dont see why all of a sudden this huge push to get rid of used games or "banning" it some how.
    how are you going to ban used game sales? we all own the games, we can trade them in for really poor results at the shops or sell them personally for a much better deal for both parties for all, its kind of our right to be able to do that.

either way if this does happen, a huge source of revenue and a large chunk of the economy will just dissappear and nintendo will have to come along and save gaming in the states...... again

it'd be like ET time a billion because all the little jock gamers wont know what to do and give up because they cant get rid of the CODs for more newer shorter CODs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

MS isn't doing this. I can't believe we're still talking about it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I liked the part where he said "only $60."
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I believe I can live quite contentedly as a gamer without Volition's games, especially if part of the profits go to support this tool.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I believe I can live quite contentedly as a gamer without Volition's games, especially if part of the profits go to support this tool.
    To be fair, this guy just watched a huge chunk of his parent company disappear. While used game sales aren't the main reason THQ is doing poorly...it's part of the reason. His comments are a little more understandable when you take them in context.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I don't see the benefit to the consumer by completely killing the used game market, explain what that is and I'll hear out this guys new gamer utiopia. I am totally willing to buy a sealed brand new copy that gives every dime to the developer..at 20 dollars for most games. Most games don't warrant a 60 dollar purchase price and I've been burned far too many times to take a chance on every game that peaks my interest. I'm not really sure why publishers haven't either figured that out yet or still deny this but for me at least, its largely why I go to the used market for relatively recent releases.

I read no benefit to us in his I FEEL USED piece linked in the escapist article, am I just totally missing something here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    To be fair, this guy just watched a huge chunk of his parent company disappear. While used game sales aren't the main reason THQ is doing poorly...it's part of the reason. His comments are a little more understandable when you take them in context.
    I don't care why he's making the comments, I'm a consumer - not an employee. I care about what might happen if his comments succeed in producing a marketplace like the one he describes, and what it will do to me / us. I don't want to see his business model succeed, nor do I wish to see it advocated, and I'm voting with my dollars.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

It could worse: they could be talking about a console that only supports digital downloads.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.125731,-118.158522

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    It could worse: they could be talking about a console that only supports digital downloads.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.125731,-118.158522
    Oh don't worry, PC gaming already has you covered. Most titles that even get a boxed release now require you to sign up to a service or something to actually play your game. I like the crazy steam deals and convenience but it still bothers me on the rare occasion that I buy a boxed PC game that it requires me to login to play the game I just installed on my HD.

But really I replied to ask why your post includes your exact coordinates?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boil the water slowly and the frog won't jump out of the pot.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a consumer, let me just say that I absolutely love being in an abusive relationship with the companies who's products I buy and Jameson Durall's comments make me hard.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I will NOT be buying $60 games, simple as that. If they want to make new games for $30-$35 then I'll bite. DLC and activation codes are the devil!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Most games don't warrant a 60 dollar purchase price and I've been burned far too many times to take a chance on every game that peaks my interest. I'm not really sure why publishers haven't either figured that out yet or still deny this but for me at least, its largely why I go to the used market for relatively recent releases. I'm not really sure why publishers haven't either figured that out yet or still deny this but for me at least, its largely why I go to the used market for relatively recent releases.
    I always bring up the example of Wanted. It's a 5-7 hour game(at best) with no multiplayer and no real incentive to play thru a second time unless you are achievement hunting. Why the hell did they charge $60 for that? That was rhetorical but regardless of how many years a game took to make or how many people worked on it that need to be paid, all games are not AAA games and do not deserve a $60 price tag. Wanted and atleast 40% of everything else released this gen shouldn't have been priced that high. And to your other point, developers actually do know this but none of them want to be the first to say "we are only charging $30 for our new release game because it's a single-player-only less than 7 hour experience with no real reason to ever replay it".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I think the PSPGo drove that bus to a complete stop.....atleast for the immediate future.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Oh don't worry, PC gaming already has you covered. Most titles that even get a boxed release now require you to sign up to a service or something to actually play your game. I like the crazy steam deals and convenience but it still bothers me on the rare occasion that I buy a boxed PC game that it requires me to login to play the game I just installed on my HD.

But really I replied to ask why your post includes your exact coordinates?
    I think tapatalk is doing that, I should turn it off.

And I've totally noticed all the drm in my pc games, for sure. But I wonder... When u activate the cd key, can the disc be reinstalled later or is it essentially junk after that?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.989689,-118.229796

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Oh don't worry, PC gaming already has you covered. Most titles that even get a boxed release now require you to sign up to a service or something to actually play your game.
    I found this out when I tried to trade a box full of somewhat recent PC games into EB Games, I wasn't expecting much trade in value just around a few dollars each(if that) as some are still $20 new. I was told that because a large number of PC games now come with one time use codes they don't accept PC games at all for trade in even if they don't need registration codes to work. Now I won't bother buying current PC games, I'll stick with games from at least 10 years ago or more. It's not like I won't have enough games to play with just sticking to older games.

The real problem is that companies can't budget their games properly anymore, they cost as much as a big budget feature film but they don't have the same long term appeal as films do so they won't make as much money from them. Just make them like good low budget films, focus on the fun and worry less about the realism or special effects. The good low budget films just focus on having a good time, like Evil Dead or the original Halloween. Just focus on fun stuff and they'll sell fine.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The good low budget films just focus on having a good time, like Evil Dead or the original Halloween. Just focus on fun stuff and they'll sell fine.
    Man, I wish the original Halloween did focus on fun stuff.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sleemo
    Your Industry needs a shakeup, It's getting stagnant, greedy and void of any creativity. Proof is in your products and the mindset that you have in writing this post.
    A quote from AltDevBlogADay that sums up my thoughts nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/