Thread: Volition's Jameson Durall says banning pre-owned games is "fantastic" [Escapist]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I believe I can live quite contentedly as a gamer without Volition's games, especially if part of the profits go to support this tool.
    To be fair, this guy just watched a huge chunk of his parent company disappear. While used game sales aren't the main reason THQ is doing poorly...it's part of the reason. His comments are a little more understandable when you take them in context.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I don't see the benefit to the consumer by completely killing the used game market, explain what that is and I'll hear out this guys new gamer utiopia. I am totally willing to buy a sealed brand new copy that gives every dime to the developer..at 20 dollars for most games. Most games don't warrant a 60 dollar purchase price and I've been burned far too many times to take a chance on every game that peaks my interest. I'm not really sure why publishers haven't either figured that out yet or still deny this but for me at least, its largely why I go to the used market for relatively recent releases.

I read no benefit to us in his I FEEL USED piece linked in the escapist article, am I just totally missing something here?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    To be fair, this guy just watched a huge chunk of his parent company disappear. While used game sales aren't the main reason THQ is doing poorly...it's part of the reason. His comments are a little more understandable when you take them in context.
    I don't care why he's making the comments, I'm a consumer - not an employee. I care about what might happen if his comments succeed in producing a marketplace like the one he describes, and what it will do to me / us. I don't want to see his business model succeed, nor do I wish to see it advocated, and I'm voting with my dollars.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I don't care why he's making the comments, I'm a consumer - not an employee. I care about what might happen if his comments succeed in producing a marketplace like the one he describes, and what it will do to me / us. I don't want to see his business model succeed, nor do I wish to see it advocated, and I'm voting with my dollars.
    It couldn't be said any better.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD