Thread: Final Fantasy 8

Insert Coin (Level 0) dicknixon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Final Fantasy 8

FF8 Sucks for various reasons.

The control is HORRIBLE. I must have re-entered the same screens 1000 times. If you move the Analog or D-Pad a hair to the left or right or up or down the wrong way you went back to the previous screen.

The load times SUCK.

The monsters levelling up way too HIGH sucks, just because I wanted to level up my characters.

That is BullSHIT.

And then you have to KILL Adel without killing RINOA is HORSEshit.

This is NOT challenge.

This is tedious CRAP.

I will not restart and restart and restart and restart and restart any game to get beyond a certain point or to accomplish an ASININE goal that some RETARDED aHOLE programmer built into the game.

Video Games should be FUN, not frustration and bullshit.

I SPENT my money to have FUN.

Life is a BITCH.

Gaming should be FUN, not a BITCHing experience.

I own over 2000 games in my collection and am seriously considering donating them to someone who likes to suffer.
    PHATgamer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"The load times SUCK."

Double the disc speed on your PS2, there, load times are now cut by half. Don't want to do that, speed it up an emulator.

"The monsters levelling up way too HIGH sucks, just because I wanted to level up my characters."

The entire battle system is a joke to anyone who knows how to abuse it. You can have some of the best spells in the game VERY early on using a combination of the junction/draw system and abusing the card ability to turn monsters into spells.

I remember being able to max out Quetzalcoatl in like 30 minutes.

If you're not doing things like junctioning ultima to attack for max damage, and hitting for 9999 every attack you don't have any idea what you're doing and need to look at some guides.

It's the easiest final fantasy for a reason.

"And then you have to KILL Adel without killing RINOA is HORSEshit."

a bloo blo bloo bloo, i can't do a single boss battle with one of my characters missing.

["This is NOT challenge."

If it's not a challenge then why are you complaining about it?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Final Fantasy 8 is pretty easy. The only times I've played it I've had 100 Zombie spells which you get early in the game until fighting Seifer late game, and drawing Flare, so not abusing the game system like Winzgrow stated. I think the only way to get 100 Ultima spells early is by changing a card into magic, which I never did. I liked to keep all the cards I acquired.

Although whenever I did play I did leave my characters health at 800 with 100 Curagas from the start, changing tents into Curagas. Then using nothing but limit over and over again. Zell > Squall until end game. If you get good with his limit you can loop it over and over and do it quick enough that once you do high amounts of damage to where it takes off half or more than half the damage in comparison to that of Lionheart.

You could also use a trick with Rinoa. Only learn the ability that allows Rinoa to change the party invincible. You start with Angelo Cannon so you have a 50/50 chance for party invincibility.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-24-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SirPsycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys guys guys guys...

How to win at FF8.

Card Grind. Don't junction anything to your attack until just before a boss, that way you don't gain needless XP and accidentally level up. Turn every enemy into a card, you'll have plenty to spare except for the rare ones you get through actually playing cards. Turn cards into items, then turn items into spells for junctioning. The only spell actually worth using is Aura as it gives you limit breaks while having full health. Doomtrain everything. Using this method I have beaten the game (including all the ultra hard bosses) and not had anybody break level 25, it makes you stupidly overpowered while your enemies can only kneel before your might.

But I think you're missing the main reason FF8 is terrible. The asinine, nonsensical, overly dramatized, sappy, dime store romance novel plot.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Final Fantasy 8 saved TonyTheTiger's life.

True story.

Seriously.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Final Fantasy 8 saved TonyTheTiger's life.

True story.

Seriously.
    Tell us more! We crave knowledge!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    Tell us more! We crave knowledge!
    I sent him a link to this thread. Hopefully he stops in and shares the story. It's pretty crazy stuff.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd share my story but I'd much rather take the opportunity to plug episode 6 of the podcast in which you can hear it.

I'm just about finished with my current playthrough and I enjoyed utterly dominating the system. In not doing a no-level run but I am keeping low levels (leveling up is more a liability than benefit in this game) and abusing techniques like card, level up/down, no encounter, etc. I was essentially stomping everything on disc one and from there it was a matter of just how invincible I could be. I'm pretty sure I have the statistically best setup possible with three separate junction setups I rotate around, 100 of every spell for each and full junction slots. And I've not once had to use any offensive command other than "attack" (and "card," if it counts). Simply put, the game is easily exploited with minimal effort. Aside from the odd special "everybody's HP to 1" boss technique (and even that isn't as much a problem considering how limit breaks work) I've never felt remotely close to death. Part of the enjoyment of playing FFVIII was seeing just how badly I could break FFVIII. It was the proverbial "jumping the flagpole" that kept my interest.

It is by no means my favorite game in the series. The plot is something of a hackjob that takes massive leaps in logic and seriously challenges the player's suspension of disbelief, even for a fantasy RPG. In some ways, it's almost an unintentional parody of RPG stories at times. It's essentially an idiot plot that also likes to pull random "twists" out of its ass to justify itself. And it does spend too much time throttling the speed with which a player can accomplish tasks, often seemingly drawing (hur hur) pleasure from forcing the player to slow down and take in the sights. To say that FFVIII is self-indulgent would be an understatement and, in many ways, is the origin of numerous derided tropes that would define the future of the series.

It is, however, a game with a lot of spirit, which alone can hold my interest in spite of all else. I'll take a nonsensical story with a soul over a cohesive yet charmless one any day of the week. And despite its narrative failures, there are some good ideas being played with in there. The Laguna, Julia, and Raine plot thread and how it resonates 20 years in the future is incredibly well done and yet is unfortunately sidelined. There are also some good ideas underlying Squall's development from essentially a douchebag into a caring and driven hero. Unfortunately the script sometimes trips over itself trying to get that across and it becomes difficult to understand why anybody would even want to associate with Squall in the first place, let alone "fix" him. He starts out as such a nasty person, and his friends seem so willing to put up with him being a dipshit, never actually calling him out on it aside from a few cutsie jabs from Rinoa and Quistis, that it can be very difficult to sympathize with anybody. And his eventual change comes very slowly and very late.

There are good things in FFVIII. They're just buried in there. I'd argue that the game's broke-ass engine helps save it since it makes the game a peculiar curiosity and justifies at least one balls to the wall, no mercy playthrough.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-24-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I'd share my story but I'd much rather take the opportunity to plug episode 6 of the podcast in which you can hear it.
    Oh SNAP! I forgot we did discuss it there!

Watch here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...Video-Version)

Listen here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...Audio-Version)

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Listening to it now! First time listening, good job on the theme song.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

you dont even really need to abuse the draw and gf junctioning abilities to break the game, i broke the game pretty early by leveling squall for like 5 hours in the garden training room fighting the t rex with quistis, this only works if you kill quistis so that she doesnt level along with you, the only person you should focus on is squall, i did that for the 5 hours like i said (this was before i knew that enemies scaled with you) and pretty much beat everything in the game with 1, 2 hits max, i fucking beat adele on 1 limit break, lol man i fucking LOVE FF8, BEST FINAL FANTASY AFTER 7 AND TACTICS!
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I always thought FF8 was pretty cool. I'm more disappointed in Suikoden IV as a Suikoden fan than I am at FF8 as a Final Fantasy fan.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

FF8 sucks because it's been THIRTEEN FREAKING YEARS and people won't stop talking about it.

That is all.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Never got the hate. It's a great game period. The only true FF games that suck is FFXIII & FFXIII-2. Pure garbage.

Objectively FF8 is a very very very good game. IT's not perfect and hits a couple sour notes with some people but when it boils down to the nitty gritty it's well made in most aspects.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being about 15 at the time I guess I didn't really mind the plot, but I remember never being able to find any of the items needed to upgrade equipment. Was there some secret to that? I don't really know anything about this whole turning enemies in to items thing or whatever. I remember getting all the way to Disc 4 with the starter weapons on my farthest attempt at finishing the game about 10 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I thought 8 was ok. I did get bored with it by the time I hit the last disk and never actually beat the thing, but I don't know if it deserves all the venom that's been flung at it by... Well practically everybody.

It isn't the shit-fest that was FFX-2, I'll tell you that! I didn't get two hours in before I turned that stinker off. The scantily clad J-pop performance in the beginning really gave me a sour taste in my mouth.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first played it back in 1999 and kind of enjoyed it, not really understanding anything, even after reading through the manual.

I then played through it in 2002 or 3 and finally beat the game, not understanding things like the card game and the junction system.

I then bought it off of PSN when it was released there, and everything just seemed to click. I figured out the card game and got one of every card. Junction finally made sense to me. I even took many, many hours just to get Rinoa's dog to get that damn Hungry Cookpot (I left it on overnight a few nights while at the PuPu battle and woke up surprised to see he had found one)!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retronick View Post
    It isn't the shit-fest that was FFX-2, I'll tell you that! I didn't get two hours in before I turned that stinker off. The scantily clad J-pop performance in the beginning really gave me a sour taste in my mouth.
    As terrible as the storyline is, FF10-2 is still a great game because of how well done the battle system is. The first Final Fantasy to get its own sequel, a game I didn't think was deserving of one, and the sequel turned out to be many times better than the one it was based off of.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely not what I expected when I opened this thread. I don't like FF8 for different reasons - I never did and never will enjoy the Junction system and I didn't care for the storyline...maybe if I played 8 before 7 I would be singing a different tune...

About those 2000 games you want to give away...want to make my life miserable? I will gladly take them
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

great..... now you got me watching the whole thing :P thanks