Thread: New lens or new CD mechanism for my Sega CD model 1?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New lens or new CD mechanism for my Sega CD model 1?

I have what I think is the earliest version of the Sega CD model 1, it's noticable by looking at the CD spindell, mine is black while most are silver and black. The lens is melted so it doesn't read discs. More precisely, the actual lens is deformed and the plastic around is all melted. I bought it this way so I don't know what happend but I suspect there was a short based on how the ribbons were positioned. Also, the disc doesn't even spin, I think it's because the lens will not work that it doesn't spin but if you could shed more light on this it would much appreciated. Enough said, here's my problem:

Not like most model 1, which has a Sony lens, mine is a JVC Optima 5 (sellers often call it Optima 5S or Optima 5J, but i've never found "Optima 5" and I don't know if 5S is still the same ???). I've found some sellers and this model is a lot more expensive, around $90, compared to the more common ones, around $25.

So I was wondering if it would be better just to get a whole CD mechanism that would be compatible with my Sega CD. Plus it would be nice to have a brand new mechanism and it's easier to install.

Here's an example of a random CD mechanism, where the spindell and the lens are in one piece : http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/img...-cdm14-001.jpg

I don't know much about those but is there a way to find a compatible one that would fit on my Sega CD with proper connectors, size, etc...

If that doesn't workout, if I'm very lucky, I could find a working model 1 cd rom and swap it (assuming all the revisions of model 1 are compatible).

Any input would be apreciated. I really hope to get this resolved.
    Last edited by ebo0763; 03-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How to know if this CD mech it's compatible with the Sega CD? If not, can I hack the connections? Is there some kind of standard in the wires?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-SANYO-CD-...item415277009b
    Last edited by ebo0763; 03-04-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I'd be curious to know why it was warped. If it was electrical problems you may just find the replacement destroyed in the fashion fashion. I can't imagine it was in a hot barn or something and the only part ruined was the lens.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    I'd be curious to know why it was warped. If it was electrical problems you may just find the replacement destroyed in the fashion fashion.
    That's possible. But now I've heard that if the laser intensity pot is too high it'll burn the laser. I wonder if it's that, but what else could have caused that? I checked the ribbon and actually both sides are insulated so now it couldn't be a short I don't think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by ebo0763 View Post
    That's possible. But now I've heard that if the laser intensity pot is too high it'll burn the laser. I wonder if it's that, but what else could have caused that? I checked the ribbon and actually both sides are insulated so now it couldn't be a short I don't think.
    Burn out the laser sure, but I don't think it'd get hot enough to warp plastic but then again I'm not about to engage in a little experimentation to find out either.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The more likely cause is a shorted focusing coil, if that happens the wire won't melt until it reaches nearly 2000 degrees, which can take several seconds. Early SCPH-700xx PlayStation 2s are prone to this. Such a failure may blow fuses but that is unlikely since the coil probably blew first.
    Edit: Turning the laser power up too high can't do that because the Laser Diode would suffer catastrophic optical damage at less than 1% of the power required to melt plastic. Just about anyone who has experience with mid-power lasers will tell you that. Just look at those stupid "I popped a balloon with an illegal $500 laser pointer" videos on YouTube and note the mW amount of the lasers in comparison with a 1mW CD player laser like this.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 03-05-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    The more likely cause is a shorted focusing coil, if that happens the wire won't melt until it reaches nearly 2000 degrees, which can take several seconds. Early SCPH-700xx PlayStation 2s are prone to this. Such a failure may blow fuses but that is unlikely since the coil probably blew first.
    Edit: Turning the laser power up too high can't do that because the Laser Diode would suffer catastrophic optical damage at less than 1% of the power required to melt plastic. Just about anyone who has experience with mid-power lasers will tell you that. Just look at those stupid "I popped a balloon with an illegal $500 laser pointer" videos on YouTube and note the mW amount of the lasers in comparison with a 1mW CD player laser like this.
    Sure. Makes sens. If that's the case, installing a new lens should work then...
    Last edited by ebo0763; 03-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure. Makes sens. If that's the case, installing a new lens should work then...
    Yes, it should work, the good news is that the damage in that type of failure is usually catastrophic but localized to the individual component, It also is rather rare and shouldn't happen again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered the lens. Can't wait to have it and test it out. The wasn't spinning at all, probably because of the burnt lens. I hope that's the only problem because I bought it broken and I'm really determined to make it work.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just check out any documentation given by the supplier, some lasers have a protection bead that MUST be removed before installation or else you'll fry the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Default re

Hi if your after a sony drive i have a working one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    Just check out any documentation given by the supplier, some lasers have a protection bead that MUST be removed before installation or else you'll fry the board.
    Interesting, what's that bead?

BTW, I couldn't find any documentation about the JVC Otpima-5S and I'm waiting for the seller to respond to my resquest about it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raylydiard View Post
    Hi if your after a sony drive i have a working one.
    I sent you a pm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

JVC Otpima-5S are hard to find and are pricey but a good drive.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting, what's that bead?

BTW, I couldn't find any documentation about the JVC Otpima-5S and I'm waiting for the seller to respond to my resquest about it.
    It is a form of antistatic protection see here: http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/p...stallation.htm
    I'll look at mine if I have a chance, I have a feeling that this laser used a different protection method.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the only option is to buy a new optima-5s?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surfin View Post
    So the only option is to buy a new optima-5s?
    Correct