Thread: New lens or new CD mechanism for my Sega CD model 1?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New lens or new CD mechanism for my Sega CD model 1?

I have what I think is the earliest version of the Sega CD model 1, it's noticable by looking at the CD spindell, mine is black while most are silver and black. The lens is melted so it doesn't read discs. More precisely, the actual lens is deformed and the plastic around is all melted. I bought it this way so I don't know what happend but I suspect there was a short based on how the ribbons were positioned. Also, the disc doesn't even spin, I think it's because the lens will not work that it doesn't spin but if you could shed more light on this it would much appreciated. Enough said, here's my problem:

Not like most model 1, which has a Sony lens, mine is a JVC Optima 5 (sellers often call it Optima 5S or Optima 5J, but i've never found "Optima 5" and I don't know if 5S is still the same ???). I've found some sellers and this model is a lot more expensive, around $90, compared to the more common ones, around $25.

So I was wondering if it would be better just to get a whole CD mechanism that would be compatible with my Sega CD. Plus it would be nice to have a brand new mechanism and it's easier to install.

Here's an example of a random CD mechanism, where the spindell and the lens are in one piece : http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/img...-cdm14-001.jpg

I don't know much about those but is there a way to find a compatible one that would fit on my Sega CD with proper connectors, size, etc...

If that doesn't workout, if I'm very lucky, I could find a working model 1 cd rom and swap it (assuming all the revisions of model 1 are compatible).

Any input would be apreciated. I really hope to get this resolved.
    Last edited by ebo0763; 03-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.