Thread: Help me with this Japanese PlayStation

Peach (Level 3)

Default Help me with this Japanese PlayStation

It is a model SCPH-5500. It reads audio CDs just fine, and also reads the audio portion of games that use redbook audio. Where it is failing is reading actual games, I have tried 2 games that work on my other unit and tried a different laser that I know works. It seems to fail when changing drive speeds, never going to 2x and never loading the black screen. Any tips?
    Edit: I tested the laser in my other JP PlayStation, it works, so the problem MUST be on the motherboard, I have seen this problem on an SCPH-1001 before but never could figure it out.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 03-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Capacitors failing can have some interesting affects on optics. Could try popping in a modchip to see if it will bypass the initial problems.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Peach (Level 3)

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Capacitors failing can have some interesting affects on optics. Could try popping in a modchip to see if it will bypass the initial problems.
    Either of those would cost me more that it is worth unless I know what the problem is. The capacitor problem is plausible since this unit has signs of overheating, but it worked fine 6 months ago before I put it in the closet.

Xbox LIVE
    APE992

A Playstation is worth more than the $1 a PIC would cost or the other $1 the few capacitors relating to the optics would cost.

Hell, I'll send you both if you can read off the capacitor values of those near the ribbon cable slot; assuming I have the right caps that is.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Peach (Level 3)

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    A Playstation is worth more than the $1 a PIC would cost or the other $1 the few capacitors relating to the optics would cost.

Hell, I'll send you both if you can read off the capacitor values of those near the ribbon cable slot; assuming I have the right caps that is.
    Problem is I was planning to sell it tomorrow, I think I'll probably sell it for parts. I did get it as a freebie so it isn't that big of a loss.