Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consoles I've never tried, but I'm interested in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Two very excellent games for the GameCube that haven't been mentioned yet are Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Chibi-Robo.

Yeah, a floppy stick really isn't much fun. In addition to making sure you get one that stands up, you should also re-lube it with silicone grease (not the spray kind) so it lasts longer.
    If you do end up with worn controllers, there are replacement sticks available. The only ones I see replace the entire thing (which detaches from the main board) instead of any inner parts which wear out. I don't know if there's more than one kind of replacement, but I know there's at least one that's more like the GameCube stick than N64 (for better or worse).

Yes the N64 is highly underrated and hardly deserves any of the flack it gets these days. But hey, the more people who hate it, the less there competition there will be for the popular/expensive carts. Don't forget that...

Come join us on Micro-64

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your replies and recommendations.
    Now I know everything I had to know about these systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jefis View Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies and recommendations.
    Now I know everything I had to know about these systems.
    By the way, I also compiled a list of best and worst Dreamcast games in another topic, which could come in handy:

Top 50 and Bottom 25 Sega Dreamcast games list

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Didn't the Gamecube installment of Mario Party start at 4? I know the first few were on the N64, I don't know if they were ported though.
    Thanks for catching that, I fixed it.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

There's best and worst-of lists for most consoles in the Classic Discussions section. Once you've played through the main classics, those threads will help you dig further for forgetten jewels and avoid the bad stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madman77 View Post
    If you're going to go with a Neo-Geo, get a consolized MVS, or make one yourself if you have the knowledge. MVS games are a fraction of the cost of the AES versions and are the exact same games. The Neo is of course known as the best system for 2D fighters, but there are a ton of other excellent games on it as well. The first 3 Metal Slugs, Neo Turf Masters, Shock Troopers and Puzzle Bobble to name a few.
    Agreed.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    There's best and worst-of lists for most consoles in the Classic Discussions section. Once you've played through the main classics, those threads will help you dig further for forgetten jewels and avoid the bad stuff.
    Like Elemental Gimmick Gear (E.G.G)

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Insert Coin (Level 0) VideoGameRescue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rebel Minja

I've never played a Jaguar... Any suggestions for that? Dreamcast is a great system. House of the dead 2 is a must! Crazy Taxi as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    how the hell can you call Diddy Kong Racing overrated!? game is freaking awesome. atleast as good or better than mario kart 64 and that is really saying something!!!
    I prefer Mario Kart 64, but Diddy Kong Racing is a highly-rated, polished, well produced game. It's a good example of the Nintendo 64's graphical and audio capabilities.

It's also a much deeper racing game than Mario Kart 64, which is what I don't like about it. With Mario Kart 64, I can turn it on, participate in a few races, and turn it off. There's no adventure mode, boss battles, hidden keys, or silver coin challenges to get in the way. Some people prefer that level of depth though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    banjo kazooie too, take that one off my list. game is a freaking marathon ugh, too long.
    Banjo-Kazooie is another highly-rated, polished game with high production values that shows off the Nintendo 64's capabilities, but to me, Super Mario 64 and Rayman 2: The Great Escape are more interesting.

I think Rare implemented a little bit too much collecting and back-and-forth travel in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie and it completely abused that style of play in Donkey Kong 64. Donkey Kong 64 is one of the Nintendo 64's best technical showcases, but despite being a solid game, it isn't compelling or intriguing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hello,

There are some consoles I have never played on in my entire life, and I'm really curious about them.
    But first I'll give you a brief insight of what I consoles I had and played in my life.
    When I was 5-6 years old I Had a Sega Genesis, then I moved on to Playstation about age 10-11. And The latest I had was Playstation 3.
    Ofcourse I played other systems with my friends, but there are some consoles I've never laid my hands on.

Here is the list of consoles I want to know more of. Which of these are good/bad?
    What games on these systems are considered really good or even classic?
    • Sega Saturn
    • Nintendo 64
    • Neo Geo
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Nintendo GameCube
    Its all down to personnel opinion of course and may depend what type of games you like but in my opinion:-
    (Sega Saturn) It is an average system in my opinion and although it was a 2D powerhouse i found its 3D games mostly lacking,rumour has it that it was notoriously difficult do design games for because of the hardware and all three Saturn`s i owned developed cd laser problems.The Saturn has a following and most collectors i have spoken too collect jpn import games.
    Games-Tomb Raider,Resident Evil,Panzer Dragoon,Radiant Silvergun
    (Nintendo 64) Towards the bottom of my fav console list is the N64,i think the best games on it were the first person shooters,Mario 64,Mario kart and Resident Evil 2.It had one of the worst graphics engines i have ever seen and also the worst controller.Very good in the multi-player side of things though so if you have family or friends around you can have some good times.
    (Neo Geo) I have the MVS arcade cab system because the carts seem easier for me to obtain,Mostly Fighting games but there are some real good shooters like Aero Fighters 2,Blazing Star,Last Resort and Pulstar
    (Sega Dreamcast) I quite like this system but there are one or two things that you need to know,the controller is awful and for games that require accuracy such as moving Lara Croft you will be pulling your hair out as she falls of the ledge yet again,also if you leave the system in storage like me the internal console battery dies so everytime you power up you will be prompted to enter time,date,etc this can be bypassed but its a nuisance so you wil have to replace/mod internal battery.The games are good though and there are some classics.
    Games-Shenmue I/II,Resident Evil:Code Veronica,Resident Evil:Nemesis,Sonic Adventure,Omikron-Nomad Soul,Soul Calibur and 18 Wheeler and the Streef Fighters if you want a quick arcade fix.
    (Nintendo GameCube) At the time I had the choice of CG,Xbox or PS2 and i chose GC (heaven knows why after the N64) and apart form Star Wars i was not impressed,in fact i sold the GC and turned my back on gaming for a while until i purchased a 360!,i was told i missed some classic games on the other two systems but i am 100% a retro gamer now and these systems are not retro to me so i am not too bothered.
    Last edited by jammajup; 03-31-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Razo00

Hello,

There are some consoles I have never played on in my entire life, and I'm really curious about them.
    But first I'll give you a brief insight of what I consoles I had and played in my life.
    When I was 5-6 years old I Had a Sega Genesis, then I moved on to Playstation about age 10-11. And The latest I had was Playstation 3.
    Ofcourse I played other systems with my friends, but there are some consoles I've never laid my hands on.

Here is the list of consoles I want to know more of. Which of these are good/bad?
    What games on these systems are considered really good or even classic?
    • Sega Saturn
    • Nintendo 64
    • Neo Geo
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Nintendo GameCube

I've owned/own all the systems you mentioned. The only system I've sold off since was the N64. I was thinking about buying a rgb modded n64 for playing Nfl Blitz, but I changed my mind several times. Not a bad system, just not my cup of tea.

I'm like you. As a kid, I went from owning a Sega Genesis/Cd to the ps1 and then ps2 etc. Ive caught up on alot of classic gaming in the last 8 years.

My #1 system is the Sega Genesis. We pretty much all know how good the genny game library is. My 2nd fav is the Neo-Geo. I've spent a pretty penny collecting Aes/Mvs carts, consolized mvs systems, and even candy cabs for the last couple of years. Games like Samurai Showdown II III IV, Metal slug, Last Blade still blow me away till this day. I'm a sucker for owning originals, but like other members said, emulation is the best bet if you don't plan on spending alot of money. Going the MVS route is cheaper then Aes, but still plan on spending a nice chunk of change.

The Sega Saturn is a great system as well. Alot of great Japanese titles were released for this system that never made it to the states. The addition of the 4mb ram cart also made it a powerful 2d arcade beast.

The Dreamcast is the ultimate arcade system. Its pretty much a sega naomi without all the bulk. The shtmups/fighting games are pretty much arcade perfect. Get yourself a 6 button arcade stick and your set. The fact that you could play back ups on a stock system is worth every penny. I do not condone playing back ups. If you play a back up of a specific game and you like it, buy the original.

Gamecube. I own one because I got it for free. Games like eternal darkness, metroid, mario games are great but not my cup of tea. If your a nintendo person then try it out. If not, then don't even bother.