Thread: My first look at Boogerman

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My first look at Boogerman

Last week I decided to dust off my Genesis and get into some 16-bit fun. After playing through Altered Beast and texting a friend, "Why did I ever think this was so awesome?" I decided to try out Boogerman, a game I never played for either platform when it was released. I knew of the game, I remember the box art vividly and the look of the hero, but that was the sum total of my experience with the game. I kind of had an idea of what to expect, but nothing could've prepared me for what was a game that could've only existed in the 90's.

Upon bootup I see that it's an Interplay game, so far so good. In my youth I spent a lot of time on Clayfighter and Earthworm Jim on SNES and Descent on the PSX. I watched the intro and the game began. The first thing I noticed was how great the animation was (though maybe it seemed better as I had just played Altered Beast) and the overall attention to detail with even background pieces being animated. Even in 2012 I still think the game looks great. The next thing I noticed was Boogerman saying "cool!" and "rad!" after every acquisition of a powerup. Oh how I miss the 90's! Once I realized the attacks were boogers and farts I started to think the game was just a cheesy gross out game that wouldn't have any substance, but I played on and found what was surprisingly a pretty darn good game.

You can either just blow right through the stages, or attempt to collect enough plungers to get the 1UP at the end of the level. This is where I think a lot of replay value is added since there are multiple paths throughout each level. If you're looking to gather all the plungers on a given level you'll have to cover the level from top to bottom, often doubling back to cover other areas. There are also bonus zones similar to SMB where you'll find more plungers or powerups. From what I've played so far there don't appear to be any tricky jumps or anything remotely resembling puzzle solving about the game, you just advance from the left to the right. There are some powerups hidden in areas you can't see, or in places that need to be accessed by farting to destroy an obstacle. I can't believe I just typed that. The bosses are true retro style where they are frustrating and seem impossible until you spend enough time to figure out their patten and weak spot.

The downfalls to the game are pretty few and far between. The first problem I have with the game is the sometimes very poor collision detection. Considering how few hits our booger flicking hero can sustain, it's frustrating to take a hit that is a result of bad collision detection. Similar to that, there also seems to be a problem when you stomp on an enemy, if another enemy is nearby, you will land and take a hit. It seems impossible to be able to jump multiple enemies as you would multiple goombas in SMB for example. Lastly, you will occasionally run into enemies that are hidden by foreground scenery.

Considering that I've spent quite a lot of time on this game instead of playing it for 10 minutes, saying "this is crap" and turning the game off, I'd say this is a quite above average platformer. I'm not sure if I'd put it in the category of an underappreciated or undiscovered gem, but it's certainly an enjoyable game and worth a play for any retro gamer. Sorry to any Genesis fans, but I'm anxious to check out the SNES version and see how much better the graphics are compared to the Genesis release.

That's my opinion as a first timer playing the game in 2012 without nostalgia fogging up my vision. I'd be interested to see what others think of the game, whether you had it in 1994 or have picked it up recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never played this one back in its day. I figured it was probably just trying to cash in on the gross-out humor and nothing else, so I never gave it a chance.

I still love Altered Beast, and I enjoy the Genesis version more than the arcade.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I've played the Genesis version for a bit, but not really long enough to get a firm opinion on it yet. It was ok so far but not a favourite of mine.

It's not a bad game though, at least the SNES version is worth a decent amount so enough people are still willing to pay for it. It wouldn't be worth much if it was bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played boogerman on the genesis a TON when I was a kid. A severely under played gem.

Who doesn't love belch attacks and flying around by farting.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I played through the rest of the game last night and I have to say, I don't think I'll ever re-visit this game. Perhaps to play the SNES version to see the graphical differences, but there just wasn't enough replay value for me after all. I was able to get through 2 worlds and 2 bosses without ever dying. The later stages just didn't look as interesting as the first world. There were a couple hints of parts resembling puzzling gameplay, but for the most part it was just walk, jump, shoot boogers, repeat. The farting attack was almost totally pointless, one could play the entire game without ever using it or even knowing that it exists. It's good for a weekend run through and provided some entertainment, but after the first world it was just more of the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Boogerman, a pick and flick adventure....i have it for the Gen, and think it is a very good game...got it back in the day..I also do love Altered Beast as well..

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Boogerman and there are 2 things that I don't particulary like about it.
    1) All the levels look the same. Atleast they're very similar.
    2) Bosses are damn hard.

But the bosses doesnt bother me that much. If there were more themed levels then I'd love this game much more.

Overall the game is good. 7/10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Never actually played much of it, as I too found it a tad hard back in the day. It's not a terrible game, but if I recall correctly, I could never get used to the control scheme. It had a funny premise, but that's just about it.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jefis View Post
    I have Boogerman and there are 2 things that I don't particulary like about it.
    1) All the levels look the same. Atleast they're very similar.
    2) Bosses are damn hard.

But the bosses doesnt bother me that much. If there were more themed levels then I'd love this game much more.

Overall the game is good. 7/10
    The only boss I had trouble with was the first one since I didn't recognize the patterns, but all the rest of the bosses use the same pattern and can be defeated the same way. After the first boss, the only one I had trouble with was Deoder Ant, who I found tougher than the final boss actually. Basically the strategy is stay on the left, dodge their attack, fire a booger, jump over to the right side, repeat.

Another problem I noticed is the old 8/16-bit era enemy reset when the screen moves. Several times I'd be climbing down a vine, see an enemy right below me, then go up the vine just a hair until he walks by, but then I went back down it would reset him to his original position. This was common in the era, so not really a fault of the game, it just caused a lot of cheap hits.

A fun, above average platformer that is worth a play for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

I just won a genesis on ebay and I heard of this game too. The ridiculous premise alone has me interested heh. Eventually I will get it.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com