Thread: ANY pre-PS1 Era game compilations released on any console/handheld recently?

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ANY pre-PS1 Era game compilations released on any console/handheld recently?

I do enjoy that there is an HD Edition phase in effect as of recent on the PS3/360, but ever since SNK Arcade Classics Volume 0 got cancelled for a North American/European release I haven't noticed much in terms compilation pack or collection that featured 2D Arcade or 8/16bit console ports on it. I'm aware of the two Sega digital bundles for Kid Alex and the Shinobi/Hang-On combos, but has there been anything else released or even hinted at coming out across all gaming consoles and handhelds in the past year or so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What are these two digital Sega bundles you're talking about? Edit - It's about time. They announced this stuff and had it reviewed by the ESRB well over a year ago. Super Hang-On here I come.

Not much these days on the compilation front I'm sorry to say. Don't think I've bought anything since Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1 and 2 for the DS from late 2010 and early 2011.

Your best bet for classic gaming is digital releases. All these pre NeoGeo SNK releases in the PSP Minis program for the PSP/PS3 (Along with three Data East classics), the occasional classic release on XBLA and PSN, all the games on the 360's short lived Game Room app, the Wii's Virtual Console that seems to have been revived a tiny bit by NOA, etc.

Hopefully things pick up a bit now that the 360 and PS3 are well established and in their later years. That's always seems to be the time when activity in this niche seems to be at its greatest.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-30-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a few articles out there mentioning an upcoming digital-download mini-compilations, two of them actually, featuring a bunch of the Alex Kidd games and another with Revenge of Shinobi, Super Hang-On and a Alex Kidd game tucked in as well. I'm only interested in the Shinobi title, so I'm waiting for a deal of the week before investing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually it looks like one has Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Revenge of Shinobi and Super Hang-On while the other has Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World and the long awaited English translation of Monster World IV.

I'd pay $10 just for a arcade accurate port of Super Hang-On. Nice to get two freebies along with it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-30-2012 at 10:54 PM.