Thread: Consoles I've never tried, but I'm interested in

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Consoles I've never tried, but I'm interested in

Hello,

There are some consoles I have never played on in my entire life, and I'm really curious about them.
    But first I'll give you a brief insight of what I consoles I had and played in my life.
    When I was 5-6 years old I Had a Sega Genesis, then I moved on to Playstation about age 10-11. And The latest I had was Playstation 3.
    Ofcourse I played other systems with my friends, but there are some consoles I've never laid my hands on.

Here is the list of consoles I want to know more of. Which of these are good/bad?
    What games on these systems are considered really good or even classic?
    • Sega Saturn
    • Nintendo 64
    • Neo Geo
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Nintendo GameCube

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jefis View Post
    Here is the list of consoles I want to know more of. Which of these are good/bad?
    • Sega Saturn
    • Nintendo 64
    • Neo Geo
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Nintendo GameCube
    N64: Many people dislike this console, but all too often many great games are overlooked. I'd say it's worth it for: Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Pefect Dark, Ogre Battle 64 (best SRPG of all time), Robotron 64, Starfox 64, Sin and Punishment (JP), Jet Force Gemini, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Super Smash Bros.

Neo Geo: Super expensive, and although a lot of great games came out for it (well, them), the price has kept me away from collecting. I'd say go with Supercade or MAME or some other emulation for it.

GameCube: Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. That's all.

I haven't explored either the Saturn or Dreamcast too much, so I'll let others chime in with their expert opinion. If you're a fan of shmups, though, the Saturn's import library is heaven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Hello,
    • Neo Geo
    If your realy into fighters it's a great system to have since that's what the neo-geo is know for.Though there are nonfighters for it such as puzzle,shooters,sports,run'n'gun and a few platformers for it to.Now the issue of price the home console (aes) can be expensive to collect for on later titles.However the arcade system (mvs) can be dirt cheap even if you don't have the room for a cab.The board itself can be run through a supergun or consolized for home use.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

EDIT: So, did you hear the one about that Gameboy Color guy who read only three words in the topic title before replying, only to find that he's not replying to exactly the thing he thought he was?
    Last edited by JSoup; 03-28-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I really enjoyed Dreamcast, although I don't think I would try collecting it again. I tried to get into N64 and really only enjoyed Robotron 64 and Pilotwings 64, not enough to justify keeping a whole system around. Saturn has some really neat games and some great arcade ports, but again just not enough readily available to keep me coming back.

Honestly when I saw the title of the thread I was picturing Super A'Can or something crazy like that. I've still not played an Odyssey, myself. Correction, I've turned the knobs on one, but never actually sat and played a game.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Sega Saturn
    US Saturn is okay, but for the best of Saturn you need to import games. With an adaptor for the US Saturn, I would go for the shooters and fighters. A good option if you want to play Neo Geo style games, and dont want to pay the money for them.

Nintendo 64
    My pick for best to pick up. Why? Cheap and available. Games are everywhere. System costs less than $30. Awesome muliplayer games. System other than controller is durable. Also there are many exclusive titles that were mentioned above that were not released on anything else.

Neo Geo
    Great System, great figthers, really expensive. If you dont plan on dropping $300-$400 on the system then dont bother. Honestly the money could go alot further on other system. There is however the notion that you could brag to others about owning the system.

Sega Dreamcast
    Another good pick for a nice blend of 2D/3D fighters. Soul Calibur, Power Stone 2, Last Blade 2, Mark of the Wolves, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. You also get several classic Sega Franchises such as Crazy Taxi, Sonic, Etc. Prices are all over the place, either games are really cheap or kind of expensive.

Nintendo GameCube
    Often Overlooked, the Gamecube is a sweet system that truly had some gems. Star Wars Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike(2P Co Op Rogue Leader), Phantasy Star Online, Lost Kingdoms 1&2, Smash Bros, Super Paper Mario, Eternal Darkness, Zelda Wind Waker. Again, this system is found relatively cheap and games are usually affordable.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Sega Saturn
    Being that you already have a PlayStation, then you already have access to 99% of what the 32-bit generation had to offer. There are some interesting Saturn exclusives (mainly Sega's own releases, like Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter, etc), and things get better if you don't mind doing some importing, but I would say you're better off skipping this one.

Nintendo 64
    Personally, I like the N64. People give it crap for not having any good games, but the truth is that there are plenty of games to make it worthwhile, even if all you get are Nintendo's own releases.... Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Turok, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Kazooie, Starfox 64, F-Zero X, and the list goes on.

One thing you need to keep in mind though is that most used N64 controllers are beat to hell. If you're buying controllers, make sure the analog stick isn't loose and floppy, or you're not going to have a lot of fun.

Neo Geo
    Don't even think about buying one. Don't get me wrong, it's a great system with some great games... but it's just a giant money sink. Do yourself a favour and stick with emulation here. Get a nice arcade stick if you like.

If you don't mind importing games, and waiting through some load times... then the Neo Geo CD is a bit more palletable.

Sega Dreamcast
    Absolutely, yes. The Dreamcast was an awesome system, and the king of niche gameplay. Plenty of unusual games like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Floigan Brothers, Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Illbleed, and Bangai-O.... All of the best fighting games of the time, like Street Fighter 3, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves, Vampire Chronicles (import), SoulCalibur, Project Justice, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.... Lots of excellent shooters like Mars Matrix, Ikaruga (import), Border Down (import), Zero Gunner 2 (import), Gunbird 2, and Giga Wing.... RPG's like Grandia II, and Skies of Arcadia.... Racing games like Sega Rally, Metropolis Street Racer, Re-Volt, San Francisco Rush 2049, and Speed Devils.... arcade ports like Hydro Thunder, House of the Dead 2, Virtual-On, Daytona USA, and Silent Scope.... puzzle games like Chu Chu Rocket, Mr Driller, and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (import).... and even some of the best sports games of the time, like Virtua Tennis and the whole 2K series. The Dreamcast may not have lasted long, but it got a surprisingly deep library of games.

Nintendo GameCube
    If you had a PS2, then you can probably skip this one. Nintendo made some excellent games for the Cube, but it didn't get nearly as many good 3rd party releases as the N64 did, so if you're not into Mario and Zelda and co, you might not find a lot to interest you here. If anything, I'd say get a Wii instead, as it'll play all GameCube games, and then you also get access to games like No More Heroes, MadWorld, Zack & Wiki, and more.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamecube has plenty of great exclusives. Mario Golf and the Pikmin games alone make it worth owning a Gamecube, or at least buying a GC controller and memory card for the Wii.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're going to go with a Neo-Geo, get a consolized MVS, or make one yourself if you have the knowledge. MVS games are a fraction of the cost of the AES versions and are the exact same games. The Neo is of course known as the best system for 2D fighters, but there are a ton of other excellent games on it as well. The first 3 Metal Slugs, Neo Turf Masters, Shock Troopers and Puzzle Bobble to name a few.

The N64 takes a lot of heat, I had one back when it was released and didn't play it nearly as much as I did my PSX. However, now that I'm back into it, I'm discovering a lot of really good games. There's a lot of junk games as well, but it's not too hard to pick up the great games for cheap.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm not understanding all of the Gamecube dismissal I'm seeing. The only reason I'd dismiss the Gamecube is in favor of the backward compatible Wii. The cube is still worth owning for the Game Boy Player alone though, IMO.

The Gamecube is, bar none, the cheapest major console you can buy now after all. I just bought one (w/o controllers) 2 days ago for $10 from a Salvation Army next to Leapsters that were priced at $29.99 (so it's not just all console there that were dirt cheap). I bought one, complete, from a pawn shop 15 minutes before before, for $15. I realize that low entry cost alone doesn't make a system worth owning, but the games are cheap as well, and there are several exclusives worth owning, IMO, and again, even if you have a backward compatible Wii, the Game Boy Player is awesome.

Here are some of the exclusive games I enjoy for the Gamecube (*means also available for the Wii):

• Chaos Field
    • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    • F-Zero GX (weak series entry, but worth owning)
    • Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
    • Harvest Moon: Magical Melody*
    • Ikaruga
    • Legend of Zelda, The: The Windwaker
    • Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
    • Luigi's Mansion
    • Mario Kart: Double Dash
    • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    • Metroid Prime*
    • Metroid Prime 2: Echos*
    • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    • Pikmin
    • Pikmin 2*
    • P.N.03: Product Number
    • Resident Evil 0 (weak entry, but still worth owning)
    • Resident Evil 1 (aka REmake)*
    • Space Raiders
    • Super Mario Sunshine (gets slammed a lot for not being Mari64)

A few that others gamers really enjoy:

• Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
    • Baten Kaitos Origins
    • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    • Super Smash Bros: Melee

Non-exclusives that I enjoy (but aren't necessarily better on the Gamecube):

• Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
    • Puyo Pop Fever
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Resident Evil 3
    • Resident Evil 4* (better visuals, but less content than the PS2 version)
    • Viewtiful Joe (less content than the PS2 version)
    • Viewtiful Joe 2

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hello,

There are some consoles I have never played on in my entire life, and I'm really curious about them.
    But first I'll give you a brief insight of what I consoles I had and played in my life.
    When I was 5-6 years old I Had a Sega Genesis, then I moved on to Playstation about age 10-11. And The latest I had was Playstation 3.
    Ofcourse I played other systems with my friends, but there are some consoles I've never laid my hands on.

• Sega Saturn
    • Nintendo 64
    • Neo Geo
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Nintendo GameCube
    my opinion of games on these systems

saturn, decent, but ps1 and n64 better.

n64, nintendo created games worth it alone, highly recommend.

dreamcast, too many arcadey shallow, get boring quick games, but cheap

gamecube, decent but not many must haves.

if i were you i would go with n64 first so many greats on that system.

after that go with dc or gamecube

oops forgot neo geo, not worth price of admission at all.

get these n64 games and you will be set for life, nearly

mario 64, mario kart 64, diddy kong racing, banjo kazooie, cruisn usa, killer instinct gold, starfox 64, star wars shadows of the empire, 1080 snowboarding, waverace 64, goldeneye 007, 3 friends and 3 extra controllers (for 007 and mario kart most fun you will ever have with videogames). throw in Doom 64 and duke nukem 64 to this list. i would say yoshis story too, but, no forget that shit, get an snes and yoshis island instead. if you like baseball the griffey n64 games are good.
    Last edited by Kevincal; 03-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're getting into the N64, I recommend reading this list I put together in another topic:

Top 50 and Bottom 25 Nintendo 64 games list

The N64 has many fantastic games. Here's a variety of good games to get you started:

ACTION/ADVENTURE:
    Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

FIGHTING:
    Killer Instinct Gold
    Mortal Kombat 4
    Super Smash Bros.

FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS:
    007: The World Is Not Enough
    Goldeneye 007
    Perfect Dark
    Quake II
    Turok 3: Shadows of Oblivion

PLATFORMING:
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Goemon's Great Adventure
    Mischief Makers
    Rayman 2: The Great Escape
    Rocket: Robot on Wheels
    Super Mario 64

PUZZLE:
    Bust-a-Move '99
    Pokemon Puzzle League
    The New Tetris
    Worms Armageddon

RACING:
    Beetle Adventure Racing
    F-1 World Grand Prix series
    F-Zero X
    Mario Kart 64
    Ridge Racer 64
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    Snowboard Kids
    Star Wars Episode I Racer
    Top Gear Overdrive
    Top Gear Rally
    Wave Race 64
    World Driver Championship

RPG/STRATEGY:
    Command and Conquer 64
    Harvest Moon 64
    Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
    Paper Mario
    StarCraft 64

SPACE SHOOTER:
    Star Fox 64
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo

SPORTS:
    1080 Snowboarding
    All-Star Baseball series
    International Superstar Soccer series
    Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
    Mario Golf
    Mario Tennis
    NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant
    NFL Blitz series
    WCW/NWO Revenge
    WWF No Mercy
    WWF Wrestlemania 2000

OTHER:
    BattleTanx: Global Assault
    Blast Corps
    Mario Party series
    Pokemon Snap
    Nuclear Strike 64
    Resident Evil 2
    Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth (Japan and Wii Virtual Console only)
    Space Station Silicon Valley

Have fun!

EDIT: And here are N64 games I felt were over-rated (not horrible, just over-rated):

Diddy Kong Racing (It's a good, polished game, but I prefer racing games like Mario Kart 64 that don't have overworlds/hubs.)
    Donkey Kong 64 (Amazing graphics, and a solid game, but too much back-tracking. It gets a little tedious after a while.)
    Excitebike 64 (Great graphics, but the controls could've been better.)
    Jet Force Gemini (Great graphics, but too much back-tracking. And I got confused sometimes where I should go next.)
    Shadow Man (Great graphics, but I never knew where to go next. Too confusing. And the sound of Michael's gun is extremely annoying.)
    Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (Pretty good, but I thought Turok 3 was better in every way. And first-person shooters shouldn't require accurate jumps to proceed!)
    Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Amazing graphics, but I never knew where to go next. Too confusing. I thought Turok 3 was more streamlined.)

Slightly under-rated:
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (A bit more polished and fleshed-out than Castlevania 64, which is also a perfectly good game.)
    Iggy's Reckin' Balls (A fun, quirky racing/platforming game.)
    Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (Could've used slightly more polish, but still a very good second-generation N64 game. And excellent music!)
    Last edited by Rob2600; 03-30-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

how the hell can you call Diddy Kong Racing overrated!? game is freaking awesome. atleast as good or better than mario kart 64 and that is really saying something!!!

then again I think Ocarina of time is highly overrated im not even kidding, never been a fan of the zelda series... games are too long and too confusing and just too time consuming gah! i bought the game the day it came out. it was fun for about a dozen hours but it just becomes a freaking marathon after awhile and starts getting too difficult later in the game, i never cared to beat it. short attention span i guess. i guess it doesnt help i didnt grow up with the original zelda or link to the past, oh i played them but not until the mid to late 90s or so (after their charm and newness was very gone and the games were severely outdated). especially the original ZELDA no freaking thanks i dont like wandering around lost not knowing what the hell to do, this seems the status quo for zelda games. im all for free roaming and free thinking but to a degree! I swear zelda games just throw you into a huge environment and go "have fun wasting 60 hours of your life wandering around lost" i need SOME direction.. i like mario 64 so much better...

banjo kazooie too, take that one off my list. game is a freaking marathon ugh, too long. well i will say this, ocarina and banjo are fun for awhile... but to beat those games is a real pain in the ass and i prefer my games beatable in a reasonable amount of time...
    Last edited by Kevincal; 03-28-2012 at 01:16 PM.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two very excellent games for the GameCube that haven't been mentioned yet are Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Chibi-Robo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    One thing you need to keep in mind though is that most used N64 controllers are beat to hell. If you're buying controllers, make sure the analog stick isn't loose and floppy, or you're not going to have a lot of fun.
    Yeah, a floppy stick really isn't much fun. In addition to making sure you get one that stands up, you should also re-lube it with silicone grease (not the spray kind) so it lasts longer.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, Diddy Kong Racing is awesome. Certainly a little different than Mario Kart 64, but that's what makes it unique vs just another Mario Kart cart racer clone.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Dreamcast.

Shenmue,Skies of Arcadia,Marvel vs Capcom 2,Grandia II,Elemental Gimmick Gear,Jet Set Radio,Power Stone,Soul Calibur,Ecco,Capcom vs SNK,Virtual On and many Japanese greats the west didn't get and a great homebrew scene.

No doubt my fave system ever.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

N64: Worth it. Many classics like Starfox 64, Super Smash Bros., Mario Party (1-3), Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong 64, and many others (those just happen to be my favorite out of the ones I own.) Plus one of my favorite consoles for Multiplayer. It's also dirt cheap and common.

Gamecube: Worth it. Many classics like Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party (4-7), Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Smash Bros. Melee, both Star Fox games, both Metroid Prime games, and many others (those just happen to be my favorite out of the ones I own.) Plus another phenomenal system for Multiplayer. Also dirt cheap.

Dreamcast: Worth it. Many classics like Sonic Adventure (1 and 2), Crazy Taxi (1 and 2), Powerstone (1 and 2), Fighting Vipers 2, Marvel Vs. Campcom (1 and 2), Ooga Booga, Spiderman, Neo, House of the Dead 2, Jedi Power Battles, and many others (thise just happen to be my favorite out of the ones I own.) Plus yet another fantastic Multiplayer console. It is very cheap much like the others and was notably my favorite system when I was growing up.

As I said before those 3 are mostly what I play when my friends come over. They are all cheap, great systems that all have classics. As for the other systems I don't know about them because I too have never played them.
    Last edited by Gunstar Hero; 03-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast also has lots of homebrew games.
    If you like beatemups at all, the DC has enough BoR projects to keep you mashing buttons for years.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    Gamecube: Worth it. Many classics like Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party (1-7)
    Didn't the Gamecube installment of Mario Party start at 4? I know the first few were on the N64, I don't know if they were ported though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Sega Saturn:
    Easy to get into the basics. Diverse games massively variable in price, quality, rarity, genre, etc. Ranging from ~$5 to over $100. Japan has a larger cheaper library.

However a bit complicated if you want to do everything. Region, copy protection, and 50/60hz, are all handled independently. Modchips will not play legal imports. Action Replay will not play backup copies. Even together they cannot change video mode (if 50hz optimized games matter to you). AR also occupies the cart slot, preventing use of backup RAM while inserted. Which is annoying for games with large save files.

Nintendo 64:
    Popular when the wrestling and Pokemon booms overlapped. WWF No Mercy + Pokemon Stadium is a combo letting you relive two huge epic eras. The Rock says you should own an N64 or know your Pikachu.
    Don't forget Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and other classics either. Plus console FPSs began coming into their own. Few decent RPGs though.

Neo Geo:
    Expensive to get the better system models. Somewhat smaller genre range than usual due to an arcade origin. Next to no RPGs here either. If you don't love fighters it's tougher to recommend. Home carts are very costly for just playing. In the long run much more affordable to use arcade ones.

Nonetheless it serves its intended purpose better than anything else. Neo Geo fans have good reason they're so adamant about the system. No load times or emulation issues is a big part.

Sega Dreamcast:
    Few top tier games were both developed exclusively for Dreamcast (often originating in arcades), AND also remain only on Dreamcast today. But it lets you play them in a single place. Also offers very respectable average game quality. Almost any game will be at least decent. On one hand you won't find major clunkers, on the other you may not be AAA blown away.

Nintendo GameCube:
    Quirky. Devs took risks for this system. Lots of games unorthodox in some way. Stuff like Pikmin, Cubivore...
    Multi-platform titles nearly always lost online in favor of bonus content. Which at the time seemed disappointing yet is now a great thing. Super Punch-Out and similar are permanent on disc extras. Unlike shut down MP servers PS2/Xbox versions have.
    Lum fan.