Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Bit Rot

I have a presentation next week and one of my slides will address "bit rot". The concept is familiar enough and I think many who doubted this years ago have probably all been hit with a first-hand case of this data disease by now.

I've got some good examples of this going on in EPROM data (cartridge prototypes) but I have never personally experienced a CD with bit rot. I know I've seen or heard people in this community talk about it before.

Do you have any specific examples of this happen, and was there an obvious culprit (heat, humidity, excessive light, etc) that caused a once working disc to go bad without ever having been used in the interim?

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive never had a problem with carts or game cds. Only Audio CDs and DVDs Ive had rot, most likely due to cheap materials used to make the discs themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Yes, it has happened to me, but not with games, but with cheapass optical media.

In fact, ever since I purchased two BDRE drives on my computer, I've started to backup files extensively, specially when I encountered some of the first few CD's burnt to be pretty much screwed up with bitrot. These CD's are from the year 2000 or so, so yeah, they are old. Generic media doesn't help either, though to be honest, generic media isn't always generic as people think...

Anyway,I've noticed that the conditions in which the discs are located in play a very important role in bit rot development. In a sealed environment, with little or no humidity, bit rot was practically non-existent. But when exposed to the elements...bit rot was just ONE of the problems to plague optical media. Others include fungus, stains, obviously scratches, peeling from the label side...and much, much more.

I'm pondering about putting small silica packets in certain games/locations to help prevent this as much as possible. Or at least slow down it's progress.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never had one before fail.
    Last edited by kai123; 06-02-2021 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Had to fix something
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've only ever gotten this on CD-Rs, and I would assume they are a lot more common on them than on pressed discs.

It may not be relevant to your interests, but LaserDiscs often had laser rot, especially ones manufactured by Sony in the 90's. LaserDiscs had to be made in a very sterile environment otherwise they would be messed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I have a Castlevania cart for the NES that has bit rot. The character falls right through the floor and dies even in the attract scene when you just let it play it self. No amount of cleaning fixed it so that is what I assumed it was.
    Dude, make a video of this and post it to youtube, then drop us a link. I want to see this "bit rot" in action.

I've never heard of this before. While I'd hate for any of my carts to have bit rot occur to them unintentionally, I wouldn't mind purposely causing it to happen to a duplicate cart or two (I'm looking at you, Mario/Duck Hunts!). I really dig video games flipping out as their universe collapses in on itself like when certain Game Genie codes are entered. Cory Arcangel created a movie with Paper Rad about this kind of deterioration of the world of a video game as it ages. I am certain I've posted it on DP before, but screw it...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I've only ever gotten this on CD-Rs, and I would assume they are a lot more common on them than on pressed discs.

It may not be relevant to your interests, but LaserDiscs often had laser rot, especially ones manufactured by Sony in the 90's. LaserDiscs had to be made in a very sterile environment otherwise they would be messed up.
    You know how much music I buy. A lot of stuff from the 1990s and earlier now has disc rot. Even one CD I bought that was fine experienced rot a few years later, and this is why I now back everything up to FLAC ASAP.

I don't believe I've ever encountered a single console game with disc rot - Sega and Sony's manufacturing plants were pretty good at what they did. However I have found a few PC games that have died due to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    You know how much music I buy. A lot of stuff from the 1990s and earlier now has disc rot. Even one CD I bought that was fine experienced rot a few years later, and this is why I now back everything up to FLAC ASAP.

I don't believe I've ever encountered a single console game with disc rot - Sega and Sony's manufacturing plants were pretty good at what they did. However I have found a few PC games that have died due to it.
    Is FLAC really any better than .WAV or .AIFF? I hear those are lossless as well
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Is FLAC really any better than .WAV or .AIFF? I hear those are lossless as well
    The filesize is about half as big, sometimes a bit less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Is loss of data on EPROM really considered "bit rot" since they were only guaranteed by the manufacturers to last 10 years or so? And even then I think you can rewrite them and they'll save that data for a good long time. More slowly erasing rather than rotting.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The filesize is about half as big, sometimes a bit less.
    Ah, I guess I'll stick with sacrificing disk space for ease of compatibility and access.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

are you guys saying 25 years from now nes and snes games will be worthless?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

With early CDs I've heard it could be caused because of the paper insert in the front of the case. The paper can be acidic, when the case is closed it's pressed against the top of the disc and can eventually damage it. Some places say to store CD cases on edge in a bookcase like books instead of flat to prevent the booklet from sagging down onto the disc. I'm not sure how serious this type of problem is though as most CD storage racks seem to store them flat. Newer discs might be better sealed on top too.

I've found a Sega CD game with some pinholes in it, I'm not sure if it got ruined as it still played fine though I never beat the game to make sure(it's that Power Rangers game). I've also found a few PC games like that, I can't really recall coming across too many discs like that but it's not like it only happened once or twice either. I just make sure to check discs before I buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've dealt with a few prototypes that clearly were bitrot. They had varying levels of corruption. Not much you can do about it except back things up before it happens.

As for CDs/DVDs, I have never really had too much of an issue. I have some older cds in my collection that skip and stutter, but it could be due to scratches as much as corruption. I'd say that optical media is far more fragile than cartridges (despite issues with contacts), and will have a shorter shelf life. Tis the nature of the beast. Hopefully there will be people keeping backups of everything.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    Nothing lasts forever. This is why emulation is so important.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    To quote the Angry Video Game Nerd; "What's the point? It'll all be dust one day anyway."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    To quote the Angry Video Game Nerd; "What's the point? It'll all be dust one day anyway."
    True, heck I'm 42, in 25 years I may not be around to play them anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How sad it is to contemplate the gradual and inevitable demise of all the video games from our childhood.

The sound of the Gion Shōja bells echoes the impermanence of all things;
    the color of the sāla flowers reveals the truth that the prosperous must decline.
    The proud do not endure, they are like a dream on a spring night;
    the mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had a PSX game give me garbage video output before, like a dirty NES cart. I don't know if this was due to bit rot, or due to something in the system.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

A couple of my audio CDs have rotted a bit, a couple of tracks refuse to play properly. But they are "early" CDs, from the late 80s or early 90s. My game discs are fine currently.