Thread: Recent NES black box sales

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Drugs are bad.
    3 words is all you have, and you insult me with a cliche saying that's been around since before both of us were conceived. Just because my lyrical poetry is to much for you to comprehend in your current state please let me assure you that the clarity of my words will one day rain upon you like a glorious golden shower of extacy. Stay well my friend.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I haven't read all of the responses so I apologize if this has already been asked. So how does a person bid on this many items and then expect the seller to negotiate on what he's really planning to pay and still keep his eBay account? A bid is a bid.
    That's quite simple. You're dealing with large numbers; if someone is throwing five figures my way, I'm going to tolerate a higher level of assholishness because that's a lot of money.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the moral of this thread is to require immediate payments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    I think the moral of this thread is to require immediate payments.
    If you sell a game like baseball which prior to all this was worth ehh 3-4k for 25k and someone actually hits the BIN and then says well I'm only going to pay 15k do you really say no if the best you feel you can do outside of this is 3-4k?

You could I suppose stick to your guns but most sellers realize that this is still a good sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3 words is all you have, and you insult me with a cliche saying that's been around since before both of us were conceived. Just because my lyrical poetry is to much for you to comprehend in your current state please let me assure you that the clarity of my words will one day rain upon you like a glorious golden shower of extacy. Stay well my friend.
    you misspelled douchebagery.

Now that the tech for producing fakes is so readily accessible at a consumer level, I've gotta wonder how many (more) well crafted fakes are gonna find their way into the market? I could pretty easily create some relatively solid fakes here in my house. It makes me wonder how many "sealed" VGA rated games out there have a copy of SMB/Duck Hunt stuffed inside :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

<Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post

Now that the tech for producing fakes is so readily accessible at a consumer level, I've gotta wonder how many (more) well crafted fakes are gonna find their way into the market? I could pretty easily create some relatively solid fakes here in my house. It makes me wonder how many "sealed" VGA rated games out there have a copy of SMB/Duck Hunt stuffed inside :/
    They have seen quite a few fakes and it is not as easy as you think. Not only does the plastic have to be just right so does the cardboard and the weight. A black box game opened just once cracks the black paint.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Friend, there is no reason to project your own shortcomings in life on to me in the form of such vile anger. Let's breakdown your name wiggyx, whats the meaning of it? Is it a acronym? The Middle name of a past girlfriend? A Cry for help? Let's disregard the X at the end and pretend you added that because you were having a drunken nostalgia trip over the early 2000's. So basically what we are left with is wiggy.

You used 3 words in your verbal assault against me, the 3rd letter in the alphabet is C. C is the creative force coordinated and communicated through words. The first 2 images that show up in google when i type wiggy are "You can touch my wiggy" and "Ask me about my wiggy" so I'm guessing your name was created under the rationale that no one would know it was you talking about your penis unless they were part of a homosexual underground movement. And that your verbal assault against me was just an underlying agenda to secretly try and get me to sleep with you. Well my friend while I have no qualms with your life choice I have to respectably decline your sexual advances.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Yes they are. I've seen it in the "Collecting" market my whole life. I have collected Comic Books since I was a kid and lived through the boom of the 1990's. The stupid amounts people were paying for "Rare" items that had over a Million print run was stupid. Market crashed and all those "Stupid" prices dropped to pennies. Same thing happened to Baseball cards in the 90's. Move to the late 90's and early 2000's and Beanie Babies. Same damn thing. Stupid prices for ugly little bean bag toys. Now, you can't give the damn things away. Remember Tickle Me Elmo? Zsu Zsu (SP?) Pets? "Collectors" always pay stupid amounts of money for crap that isn't really rare. It's all in the perception of the buyer. Then again, these are obviously people that have way too much damn money to spend on stupid crap they don't need. mind you, I understand playing games and keeping the ones you like and play, but buying a game just for the sake of owning it for no other reason than to just pop it on a shelf in a plastic box just to say you have something rare . . . I never did understand it. And before I get the argument about works of art and all that nonsense, remember, art serves it's purpose; It was meant to be looked at and appreciated for it's brilliance and workmanship. Comics are meant to be read, toys to play with, and Video Games are meant to be played. Plain and simple, nothing more, nothing less.

Could not have said it better myself. even if I had went to grammar school!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't even know what to reply to. At first I was heated, then I was confused, then I felt the need to accept Jesus Christ into my life, and then I felt like I was in 9th grade English class, practicing alliteration.

Couple of points:

1) Many collectors, including myself, still prefer to trade over selling. Even though Rarebucky is often outed as being evil for his reselling practices, I've still done at least 4-5 trades with him, while purchasing absolutely nothing. You only see sales data publicly through eBay, but there are many trades behind the scenes that never get talked about. I will always prefer to trade, it's just hard to trade sealed games to loose collectors and vice versa. You usually have to collect the same medium.

2) Sealed games can only affect loose prices on genuinely rare games. If Stadium Events jumps from $30k sealed to $300k sealed, then yeah the loose cart is probably going to get bumped up. But if Baseball goes from $2k to $25k to even $200k, the cart is probably still going to remain under $5. It's so abundant that the sealed price has no affect on it. You can make the argument that a hoarder would try to buy every Black Box sealed to drive up prices, but buying every single Black Box loose cart is impossible. You can walk into any flea market or thrift store and probably find at least a Golf for $1. Hoarders are naturally drawn to rare sealed / rare CIBs, but carts are simply too plentiful. Even hoarding rare carts would probably be a bad idea, though I'm sure there are people that have tried.

3) I agree that this "hobby" has become more like a part-time job nowadays, but that's the nature of the beast. Nothing stays the same forever, and you either evolve, move on, or just stop and watch the fireworks. I haven't seen any big collectors truly sell off their entire collection, so most people are evolving or watching to see how it pans out. For the game market to crash, you'd have to see several people unloading their large collections at the same time. I just don't see that happening...
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I think this is an overly paranoid view that sealed games and NA are somehow behind some plot which affects even loose common games.
    Did I mention NA in my post at all?

Funny that you call my post overly paranoid when you come up with a 'plot' that involves something that I didn't mention.

All I'm saying is this. Look at the chart on the right side.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/...s?sort-by=name

A 50% jump over 2 years ago, a 37% jump over a year ago. That has to count for something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edit: Fuck it, I couldn't be bothered at this point.
    Last edited by BeaglePuss; 04-12-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Are you saying that you would rather own a sealed Duck Hunt cartridge over the unreleased one of a kind Socks prototype?

Not talking about reselling just owning.

Imagine you could find one of these items at a flee market for $10 but would not resell it. You can only have one so which one would you pick?

I'm not trying to bait you. I'm really curious which one you would rather own.
    I'd go with the duck hunt. Prototypes are cool, but I would want something I could easily turn a profit on. There's a bigger market for duck hunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Did I mention NA in my post at all?

Funny that you call my post overly paranoid when you come up with a 'plot' that involves something that I didn't mention.

All I'm saying is this. Look at the chart on the right side.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/...s?sort-by=name

A 50% jump over 2 years ago, a 37% jump over a year ago. That has to count for something.
    According to that chart the average loose NES game is now worth about $12. Where do I cash in?

The expensive have gotten more expensive and the affordable are still affordable. If you average those two for sure the average has gone up but in reality only a few have gone nuts. The popular games people ask for at my store to play have gone nowhere in price.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/nes/contra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They have seen quite a few fakes and it is not as easy as you think. Not only does the plastic have to be just right so does the cardboard and the weight. A black box game opened just once cracks the black paint.
    Oh, I know it's no easy task. Those guys on Nintendo Age know how every seam should run, how every corner should bunch, how thick the shrink wrap should be, how snugly it should cling to the box, etc.

I'm not saying I could make a perfect fake, but it's a LOT easier than it was just 10 years ago for an amateur to get away with something like that (most of the time). You could arguably use the info that the Nintendo Age guys provide against them. They very publicly call out fakes and site the correct info about packaging while doing so. If a bootlegger were at all savvy, then they'd be keeping an eye on such communities for exactly that kind of info.

I guess I'm really just concerned that it may become a larger issue than it already is, and it could serve to saturate the market of sealed games as well as its potential to bring negative attention to game collecting, which could lead to new laws and legislature regarding the sale of used and new-used games. It's already a touchy subject, and the big 3 HATE used game sales (Sony especially, based on what I've read).

Friend, there is no reason to project your own shortcomings in life on to me in the form of such vile anger. Let's breakdown your name wiggyx, whats the meaning of it? Is it a acronym? The Middle name of a past girlfriend? A Cry for help? Let's disregard the X at the end and pretend you added that because you were having a drunken nostalgia trip over the early 2000's. So basically what we are left with is wiggy.

You used 3 words in your verbal assault against me, the 3rd letter in the alphabet is C. C is the creative force coordinated and communicated through words. The first 2 images that show up in google when i type wiggy are "You can touch my wiggy" and "Ask me about my wiggy" so I'm guessing your name was created under the rationale that no one would know it was you talking about your penis unless they were part of a homosexual underground movement. And that your verbal assault against me was just an underlying agenda to secretly try and get me to sleep with you. Well my friend while I have no qualms with your life choice I have to respectably decline your sexual advances.
    We are not friends. But, if you'll touch my wiggy, I think we could work something out

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    It has become a tad overwhelming...
    Last edited by wiggyx; 04-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    Yes my child let the anger flow through your veins like a rouge virus looks to spread it's satanic seamen. Escape from the wonderland that is ignorance and let the truth capture your imagination. Your at the edge of darkness and it doesn't have to be that way, you can join the force's of morality and stop the confidential rampage you have set forth onto yourself and those who surround you. You have the power of influence, so please choose to create a new dawn of an era. One which collectors look out for each other before themselves, where there is no concern over the latest bathroom redesigns because a properly placed toothbrush holder does not make the man. Please no more high BIN's while fielding for the highest offer or backdooring people on ebay because you are concerned over your latest home remodel. You were once one of us and along the way something happen, you lost your innocence and the battlefield over your own morality was to much for your soul to bare. Please we are here for you, change your ways no more evil collecting deeds, come to the light once again. Getting the highest price for a sealed Flintstones 2 will not fill you with joy, the true joy comes from the selfless act of a hometown discount or allowing yourself to help your fellow collector without the concern over the latest piece of Italian marble. Remember my son if it wasn't for us there would be no one to sell to in the first place. Take care my son and may you have continued success through your home remodeling journey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes my child let the anger flow through your veins like a rouge virus looks to spread it's satanic seamen. Escape from the wonderland that is ignorance and let the truth capture your imagination. Your at the edge of darkness and it doesn't have to be that way, you can join the force's of morality and stop the confidential rampage you have set forth onto yourself and those who surround you. You have the power of influence, so please choose to create a new dawn of an era. One which collectors look out for each other before themselves, where there is no concern over the latest bathroom redesigns because a properly placed toothbrush holder does not make the man. Please no more high BIN's while fielding for the highest offer or backdooring people on ebay because you are concerned over your latest home remodel. You were once one of us and along the way something happen, you lost your innocence and the battlefield over your own morality was to much for your soul to bare. Please we are here for you, change your ways no more evil collecting deeds, come to the light once again. Getting the highest price for a sealed Flintstones 2 will not fill you with joy, the true joy comes from the selfless act of a hometown discount or allowing yourself to help your fellow collector without the concern over the latest piece of Italian marble. Remember my son if it wasn't for us there would be no one to sell to in the first place. Take care my son and may you have continued success through your home remodeling journey.
    "Are you sure you want to add Panzerfuzion to your ignore list?"

Yes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Are you sure you want to add Panzerfuzion to your ignore list?"

Yes.
    The anger you have for me is extremely sad, I'm only here to help you. Please understand I am in no way upset over your personal life choice of homosexuality. Please don't project your fears onto others, jealousy and rage is not healthy. Don't allow your emotions to internalize, when i see your lines of code put forth onto the screen I know in my heart there are benevolent undertones. You have good in you, these extremely short and uneducated responses does not shine a light on your intellect in a positive manner. Please from now on sit down, drink a nice warm cup of folgers coffee™ and think deeply about your feelings before choosing to press that enter button. I hope this helps, good day friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be clear, I've never backdoored anything, just some side deals from time to time. It may be a matter of semantics, but the term "backdoor" is reserved for those that contact a seller after an item has been sold in hopes of screwing the original buyer. A side-deal on the other hand takes place during an auction and is an agreement between the seller and an eBay member hoping to purchase a gamer for a lower ending price. The seller agrees to end the auction early in order to avoid eBay final value fees.

While you (and others) might feel that they're both equally unethical, I personally don't.

When involved in a hobby like this one, you have to prioritize. If someone is willing to purchase a video game from me for five figures, I'm going to take them up on it every time. My new bathroom is like a 90+ Gold Level thanks to video game flipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The anger you have for me is extremely sad, I'm only here to help you. Please understand I am in no way upset over your personal life choice of homosexuality. Please don't project your fears onto others, jealousy and rage is not healthy. Don't allow your emotions to internalize, when i see your lines of code put forth onto the screen I know in my heart there are benevolent undertones. You have good in you, these extremely short and uneducated responses does not shine a light on your intellect in a positive manner. Please from now on sit down, drink a nice warm cup of folgers coffee™ and think deeply about your feelings before choosing to press that enter button. I hope this helps, good day friend.
    Is that you RegalSin?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection