Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I don't think they really sell
    They do. Some of the sellers have reported about it on other forums and of course you can see feedback is being left by both sides.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    So here are people like Braveheart69 (complete black box hoarding and prices), Mario's Right Nut (complete copies of SE hoarding) and gwyidion (homebrew prices and hoarding) with large bank accounts and opportunity to take hold of and so they did. And they are still around and not going anywhere. Also, this blackbox guy is proof more are on the way.
    I'm quoting this because everyone passed it off, especially buyatari as an 'overly paranoid' view but no one countered it. So here we go:

Braveheart69 is shilling like crazy any black box auction to boost prices to make what he has even more valuable.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&guest=1

Note the feedback: 3283 (as of 4/15). Now look at this infamous DK Jr Math lot auction:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290690633965

Do you see a familiar number? e***r (3283)? Also look at the bids. He made half of them.

This is clearly braveheart69, someone who owns a ridiculously mint copy of DK Jr Math from TheFrisbee. He's either trying to hoard these, boost prices or both.

How is my assertion overly paranoid again? And don't say you can't counter it - I mean, "fuck It, (you) can't be bothered at this point" if you're going to reply at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    They were the very original box and label style that Nintendo was using for their first party games. many of them were reissued later on with different labels. That's it.
    Which ones were reissued with different labels?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Black box games still sell for less than $20 loose regardless of what Eric has bid on/won. That's pretty much all I can say. Instead of repeating myself, I went the "fuck it" route.

Edit to add: Mario's Right Nut only has a single CIB SE at this point, not that it has anything to do with sealed Black Box tittles, but since you were looking for a counter I might as well add it.
    Last edited by BeaglePuss; 04-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I'm quoting this because everyone passed it off, especially buyatari as an 'overly paranoid' view but no one countered it. So here we go:

Braveheart69 is shilling like crazy any black box auction to boost prices to make what he has even more valuable.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&guest=1

Note the feedback: 3283 (as of 4/15). Now look at this infamous DK Jr Math lot auction:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290690633965

Do you see a familiar number? e***r (3283)? Also look at the bids. He made half of them.

This is clearly braveheart69, someone who owns a ridiculously mint copy of DK Jr Math from TheFrisbee. He's either trying to hoard these, boost prices or both.

How is my assertion overly paranoid again? And don't say you can't counter it - I mean, "fuck It, (you) can't be bothered at this point" if you're going to reply at all.
    So what, this still doesn't affect loose carts.

I still stand by what I said. Most loose carts worth $30-20 and under five years ago are still worth $30-20 and under. A few may have become pricey but for the most part only the games worth more than $50 five years ago are worth more than $50 now. Some have fallen in price.

I don't understand how a few titles in a certain condition selling for big bucks changes anything if you just want to collect videogames for fun. I would bet you that there are still thousands of games worth under $20 that you still do not own if you look across all platforms and all regions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    So what, this still doesn't affect loose carts.

I still stand by what I said. Most loose carts worth $30-20 and under five years ago are still worth $30-20 and under. A few may have become pricey but for the most part only the games worth more than $50 five years ago are worth more than $50 now. Some have fallen in price.

I don't understand how a few titles in a certain condition selling for big bucks changes anything if you just want to collect videogames for fun. I would bet you that there are still thousands of games worth under $20 that you still do not own if you look across all platforms and all regions.
    Nice deflection. You are proving to be quite the expert at dismissing people's claims.

How is it overly paranoid when I cite the evidence above?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Nice deflection.
    You can count on this in just about any hobby. Comic,cards,coins,stamp whatever. The rare most desired expensive items in top condition will continue to go up and up and will continue to go up so long as there are people out there collecting them. Some people who recognize this may take advantage but without rarity and demand it wouldn't be possible. Having the forsight to take advantage of such a situation doesn't mean you created it single handedly. Without new buyers willing to shell out more and more it just wouldn't happen no matter how many you tried to put away.

Still none of this should matter if you just want to collect games and enjoy collecting videogames cheaply. There is plenty out there that is cheap and that will stay cheap for a long long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Evidence that Braveheart bid on a black box title he already owns? What does that have to do with the price of loose black box games (over even sealed black box games that the thread was originally about)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah hoarding is basically a big middle finger to the collecting community, and I find it disgraceful that a "mod" does that, but that's another argument. It's one thing to buy another for an upgrade, or to buy another for tradebait, but at some point it becomes quite excessive. But quite frankly, it's not my business what anyone does with their money (and I don't really care), I just hate to see such a figurehead be all about the money.

However, I don't think that CIB or sealed hoarding has too much of an effect on loose prices. What it does prove, is your point about the "hobby" being more like a business these days. It's sad but true, and it will never revert back to how it was. I can't say that I really remember those days though, as I started in 2008 and things were still pretty "business-like" at the time. Values were just drastically cheaper.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Yeah hoarding is basically a big middle finger to the collecting community, and I find it disgraceful that a "mod" does that, but that's another argument. It's one thing to buy another for an upgrade, or to buy another for tradebait, but at some point it becomes quite excessive. But quite frankly, it's not my business what anyone does with their money (and I don't really care), I just hate to see such a figurehead be all about the money.

However, I don't think that CIB or sealed hoarding has too much of an effect on loose prices. What it does prove, is your point about the "hobby" being more like a business these days. It's sad but true, and it will never revert back to how it was. I can't say that I really remember those days though, as I started in 2008 and things were still pretty "business-like" at the time. Values were just drastically cheaper.
    I've been collecting since the 90's and it is always been about the money.

When DreamTr tracked down every NWC cartridge he could find.
    When the race was on to track down every former (Atari,Coleco,Vectrex,etc) company employee before the next guy.
    When Atari guys fought for prototypes just so they could be the one to re-release them in qty of 250 at $50 each.
    It was always about the money.

Collectors pick which systems to collect not based on what they enjoy or had as a kid but what everyone else is collecting. What is hot and what is not. The N64 is the best example of this. The N64 was the worst of the generation but it is Nintendo and has Mario and Zelda and many guys who never touched the system when it was available collect or resell for it today. I know a long time local collector who has never played a single game of Mario on any system. He played Doom and then Halo and COD but for right now at least Nintendo is where the money is.

Bragging rights and reselling have always been a big part of this hobby and cash as they say is king. I remember the first time I saw a Atari game rarity list. Instantly in that moment it hit me that videogames were the next big hobby. If you got in early and bought the right stuff you could name your price. Last month I unloaded hundreds of new Atarisoft titles which I horded for 10+ years for $1.50 each to another local just to make room in the house. As you may have guessed not everything I expected to appreciate in value has but somethings have way beyond my expectations. Had I been BuyNintendo instead of BuyAtari I'm sure I'd be able to retire right now.

I like videogames but I can't pay the rent with them nor can I feed my family with them without converting them into cash. When long time collectors find themsleves in a rut they sell off the games they collected. In a way for some it is a part of growing up and setting priorities. It is selfish to keep a game that is now worth 10k when your family could use a new car?

The only difference today is that the money is bigger which happens in time with all hobbies that do not fade away and the transactions are more public. In the past many high dollar sales were private and not made public but now that they have become more obvious I can tell you that they have always been there and that money has been a factor for as long as I have been collecting.

That doesn't mean is has to be the hobby for you. You can just collect what you enjoy and there is plenty out there which is cheap.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the race was on to track down every former (Atari,Coleco,Vectrex,etc) company employee before the next guy.
    When Atari guys fought for prototypes just so they could be the one to re-release them in qty of 250 at $50 each.

Collectors pick which systems to collect not based on what they enjoy or had as a kid but what everyone else is collecting. What is hot and what is not. The N64 is the best example of this. The N64 was the worst of the generation but it is Nintendo and has Mario and Zelda and many guys who never touched the system when it was available collect or resell for it today. I know a long time local collector who has never played a single game of Mario on any system. He played Doom and then Halo and COD but for right now at least Nintendo is where the money is.

Bragging rights and reselling have always been a big part of this hobby and cash as they say is king. I remember the first time I saw a Atari game rarity list. Instantly in that moment it hit me that videogames were the next big hobby. If you got in early and bought the right stuff you could name your price. Last month I unloaded hundreds of new Atarisoft titles which I horded for 10+ years for $1.50 each to another local just to make room in the house. As you may have guessed not everything I expected to appreciate in value has but somethings have way beyond my expectations. Had I been BuyNintendo instead of BuyAtari I'm sure I'd be able to retire right now.

I like videogames but I can't pay the rent with them nor can I feed my family with them without converting them into cash. When long time collectors find themsleves in a rut they sell off the games they collected. In a way for some it is a part of growing up and setting priorities. It is selfish to keep a game that is now worth 10k when your family could use a new car?

The only difference today is that the money is bigger which happens in time with all hobbies that do not fade away and the transactions are more public. In the past many high dollar sales were private and not made public but now that they have become more obvious I can tell you that they have always been there and that money has been a factor for as long as I have been collecting.

That doesn't mean is has to be the hobby for you. You can just collect what you enjoy and there is plenty out there which is cheap.
    Replace Atari with Nintendo or Sega and you have the Nolan's...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For you personally it may have always been about the money, but having been a collector since 1989, I can honestly say the whole flipping/reselling thing is a relatively new phenomenon, at least in the scale and scope it's happening today and it's still not where most collectors are operating. For most of the 90s and even into the 2000s, there were a number of good on-line small retailers selling old games at reasonable prices, plenty of Ebay auctions that were actual auctions and plenty of collectors who traded or sold stuff at or below cost whenever they met up at various local gatherings or CGE and other regional conventions. I know I have given away thousands of dollars in duplicate games and consoles over the years to new collectors and I know many other collectors have done the same thing. In short, collecting was always a community first and the whole money thing was completely secondary. Similarly, the vast majority of people collecting prototypes and other rare items in the 90s were not doing it for the money. They did it to preserve the games and to build interesting and unique collections. Heck, if everyone was doing it for the money, there would be no museum at CGE or large holdings of rare Atari items like Curt Vendel's collection.

With the rise of NES collecting and grading, the whole flipper/reseller thing has reached alarming proportions. For me personally, it troubles me that these resellers are contributing nothing to the collecting community, using tips and resources from collectors to profit and essentially sitting on Ebay to grab stuff only to have it graded and re-sell it a month or two later at several times the original price. There is no real work going into the process, it's not like these people are going out and searching swap meets or thrifts or scouring distributor warehouses for the stuff, they are simply snagging games before other non-flipper/reseller collectors can purchase them on Ebay and marking up the prices to absrud levels.

I guess my major trouble with all of this is that there seems to be a lack of outrage against these resellers. I have no problem with people selling their excess or even buying lots and breaking it up, removing what they need for their own collection. I do have an issue with people doing the perpetual Ebay flipping and justifying it by saying it supports their collection. Those resellers hurt other collectors by taking away their opporunity to grow their collections at reasonable prices. That should not be commended or accepted. Similarly, these resellers shouldn't be allowed to have free access to the knowledge and advice of collectors who really do care about the games and want to help other members of the community to grow their collections and not profit financially.

I've collected many things over the years and I am very confident that at some point in the near future, the bubble will burst and the resellers will move on like they always do. Until then, there are plenty of collectors out there who care about the games first and preserving history and who will continue to operate in the spirit of the old days of video game collecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you can speak for yourself there. I would part with every single item in my collection before parting with a few N64 games, it was my favorite system by far, and will always be my favorite system to collect for. With such a small library though, you run out of things to collect and eventually have to branch out, or stop collecting. So many of us branch out.

You favorites get you into the hobby, but at some point value does influence your purchases. I would collect Sega Genesis / WWF Wrestling VHS / and a few other things if value was all created equal. But it's not, so as you mention, I tend to focus on most things Nintendo.

So after you finish your favorites, most people continue to collect instead of stopping entirely. At that point you realize that your time is worth money, so you might as well collect things that have value associated with them. I don't think that makes it "all about the money though". When I think of "all about the money", it's the people who are a slave to eBay every single day in and out, with a continuous rotating stock of items for sale. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there are definitely more people like that now, than 4 years ago when I started. And probably even less back in the 90s.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Well you can speak for yourself there. I would part with every single item in my collection before parting with a few N64 games, it was my favorite system by far, and will always be my favorite system to collect for. With such a small library though, you run out of things to collect and eventually have to branch out, or stop collecting. So many of us branch out.

You favorites get you into the hobby, but at some point value does influence your purchases. I would collect Sega Genesis / WWF Wrestling VHS / and a few other things if value was all created equal. But it's not, so as you mention, I tend to focus on most things Nintendo.

So after you finish your favorites, most people continue to collect instead of stopping entirely. At that point you realize that your time is worth money, so you might as well collect things that have value associated with them. I don't think that makes it "all about the money though". When I think of "all about the money", it's the people who are a slave to eBay every single day in and out, with a continuous rotating stock of items for sale. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there are definitely more people like that now, than 4 years ago when I started. And probably even less back in the 90s.
    Perhaps you were a kid when N64 was released.

I owned retail gamestores when this system was current if you weren't a kid this was not your main system. Playstation was king. Of course I speak in general terms and there are always exceptions but when teenagers ,20 something or 30 something year old males walked into the store you just knew they wouldn't be asking for the latest N64 games. Now those same customers are asking if we have Harvest Moon and Conkers and I know they don't own the system. They played one system and collect/resell something totally different.

It will be curious to see if all these COD and Gears of War nuts ask about rare and expensive Wii games one day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I've collected many things over the years and I am very confident that at some point in the near future, the bubble will burst and the resellers will move on like they always do. Until then, there are plenty of collectors out there who care about the games first and preserving history and who will continue to operate in the spirit of the old days of video game collecting.
    Let the bubble burst, and burst soon. Let the resellers move on to other pastures. But most of all, let us who love video games continue to play, collect, share, and preserve our beloved hobby long after the money has left our scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    For you personally it may have always been about the money, but having been a collector since 1989, I can honestly say the whole flipping/reselling thing is a relatively new phenomenon, at least in the scale and scope it's happening today and it's still not where most collectors are operating. For most of the 90s and even into the 2000s, there were a number of good on-line small retailers selling old games at reasonable prices, plenty of Ebay auctions that were actual auctions and plenty of collectors who traded or sold stuff at or below cost whenever they met up at various local gatherings or CGE and other regional conventions. I know I have given away thousands of dollars in duplicate games and consoles over the years to new collectors and I know many other collectors have done the same thing. In short, collecting was always a community first and the whole money thing was completely secondary. Similarly, the vast majority of people collecting prototypes and other rare items in the 90s were not doing it for the money. They did it to preserve the games and to build interesting and unique collections. Heck, if everyone was doing it for the money, there would be no museum at CGE or large holdings of rare Atari items like Curt Vendel's collection.

With the rise of NES collecting and grading, the whole flipper/reseller thing has reached alarming proportions. For me personally, it troubles me that these resellers are contributing nothing to the collecting community, using tips and resources from collectors to profit and essentially sitting on Ebay to grab stuff only to have it graded and re-sell it a month or two later at several times the original price. There is no real work going into the process, it's not like these people are going out and searching swap meets or thrifts or scouring distributor warehouses for the stuff, they are simply snagging games before other non-flipper/reseller collectors can purchase them on Ebay and marking up the prices to absrud levels.

I guess my major trouble with all of this is that there seems to be a lack of outrage against these resellers. I have no problem with people selling their excess or even buying lots and breaking it up, removing what they need for their own collection. I do have an issue with people doing the perpetual Ebay flipping and justifying it by saying it supports their collection. Those resellers hurt other collectors by taking away their opporunity to grow their collections at reasonable prices. That should not be commended or accepted. Similarly, these resellers shouldn't be allowed to have free access to the knowledge and advice of collectors who really do care about the games and want to help other members of the community to grow their collections and not profit financially.

There might be too much here to comment on for this thread.

-Collect for whatever reason you want. Money is still a factor and has always been a factor in transactions. Give things away but the value is always on your mind. Easier to give away a system and some loose games than it is an NWC cart when one just sold for $20k+ You might still give it away but it is a factor in your decision.

-Curt is one of the best you will find. He is a great guy with an amazing collection. If anyone can claim to not be in it for the money it would be him. Still he has sold things because people made incredible offers. He is not in it for the money but money was a factor in selling. There are things he would still own today if the offers he recieved were not exceptional.

-Money has always been a factor. Even if you don't resell and are just a collector you base the price you pay on recent.past and even projected future selling prices. No one pays 5-10k for something they believe is worth $50 to the rest of the world.

-There is nothing wrong with collecting for the enjoyment of collecting.

-There is nothing wrong with buying something with the intent to resell it for a profit at a future date. Should you instead put $1000 of your family savings in the bank making 1-2% if you just know you can double up in a month or two on a particular purchase? Would you honestly fault someone if they did either way?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You all know the real culprit in all of this, that enabled the explosion of video game collecting craziness..

EBAY.

without ebay most video game values would be insanely lower. But ebay put video game collecting in the limelight and its only grown stronger since ebay came around in the mid 90's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Let the bubble burst, and burst soon. Let the resellers move on to other pastures. But most of all, let us who love video games continue to play, collect, share, and preserve our beloved hobby long after the money has left our scene.
    Somethings fall fall in price but the most desirable pieces in top condition will continue to rise. Baseball cards and comics both had huge collapses but the top material is worth more than ever. Videogames are a part of our culture and have replaced just about every toy known with kids today. Never before has one item been such a force with children. In the 60's,70's and even the 80's there were several items that each held a share of children and their playtime. Today videogames hold a larger share of that playtime than any other item ever. Love it or hate it, I don't see big prices ever going away and for the top items it will only get worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    Replace Atari with Nintendo or Sega and you have the Nolan's...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    You all know the real culprit in all of this, that enabled the explosion of video game collecting craziness..

EBAY.

without ebay most video game values would be insanely lower. But ebay put video game collecting in the limelight and its only grown stronger since ebay came around in the mid 90's.
    The internet has made the world a smaller place. Without it videogames would have taken a much longer time to mature as a collectable but comic books and baseball cards were able to do so prior to the interent and videogames would have done so without it as well.