Thread: Anyone remember a Gameboy street map/atlus type "game"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Default Anyone remember a Gameboy street map/atlus type "game"?

I brought this up in another thread and have memories of it but can't find any info online anywhere.

It was a Gameboy cartridge that had street maps of the US like an early Google Maps. I'm pretty sure you could enter a starting point and destination and it would tell you a travel route in some fashion...though I could be remembering that wrong. I just remember thinking it was really cool from a pre-GPS perspective.

I'm sure it would have been an unlicensed/order from the back of a magazine type thing but does anyone else have any knowledge of this?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I brought this up in another thread and have memories of it but can't find any info online anywhere.

It was a Gameboy cartridge that had street maps of the US like an early Google Maps. I'm pretty sure you could enter a starting point and destination and it would tell you a travel route in some fashion...though I could be remembering that wrong. I just remember thinking it was really cool from a pre-GPS perspective.

I'm sure it would have been an unlicensed/order from the back of a magazine type thing but does anyone else have any knowledge of this?
    Was this what you had in mind? Aaah, the InfoGenius suite. Seemed like a good idea at the time...
    Sure, it's pretty useless now, but before we all had Google Maps in our pockets, this was a pretty novel concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5TdilcgSzM
    Last edited by old_skoolin_jim; 04-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'm not sure. I did run across that but doesn't it mainly just have info about various travel destinations? I don't really know for sure.

I distinctly remember it being some sort of rudimentary route planning program with roadmaps and such...but it's also possible I'm remembering it wrong. I don't just remember seeing it in a magazine or something, I actually held it in my hands and played with it a little. This was probably 20 years ago though and I've surely forgotten far more important things between then and now.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, I've seen the game boy do everything from car diagnostics to run a sewing machine but I never seen this. I'm watching this thread close now! Hopefully someone remembers it.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Original gameboy and gameboy color is a main focal point of my collecting and I can say for sure Ive never heard of such an item, if it exists it must be one of the rarest gameboy titles of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Suikoman444
    PSN
    Suikoman444

The InfoGenius Productivity Pak: Frommer's Travel Guide is the closest thing I can think of to what you're talking about.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Are you sure it wasn't for the Gameboy Advance?

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=299

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't for the Gameboy Advance?

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=299
    No...I had to be around 10 or so and that was way before GBA or even color for that matter.

If anything it was more like this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3mvQ8V6evY

Does Frommer's Travel Guide have some form of street maps? It's possible that was it but I clearly remember maps. It's also possible that it wasn't a Gameboy at all but some early digital handheld travel routing device...I distinctly remember a gameboy though.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Does Frommer's Travel Guide have some form of street maps? It's possible that was it but I clearly remember maps. It's also possible that it wasn't a Gameboy at all but some early digital handheld travel routing device...I distinctly remember a gameboy though.
    I think that's what it is, I'll post a link to some screen shots below.

http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/game.php?id=1914

It's strange that there's hardly any screenshots or videos of this online, usually there's a ton of stuff for Gameboy games out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I agree with those that said Frommer's Travel Guide.

I remember seeing this suite on the shelf at Babages and was always curious as to what they were like. I always thought it was a really cool idea.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shicky256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this is too off topic or something, but Datel made a personal organizer that sent e-mails through a built-in dial-up modem. It only worked in the UK, however.

Link to video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze7Q0...layer_embedded

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Given the lack of alternatives I'm assuming it was Frommer's Travel Guide plus a bad memory. Thanks for all the help. This was bugging me for a few days.