Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VGA rated NWC Gold cart on eBay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default VGA rated NWC Gold cart on eBay

This just seems absurd to me. You guys and gals have any feelings about it one way or another?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=140740735543

I wonder if this will get picked up by the now infamous "negotiator"...

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah my feelings are all graded games are bullshit and this asshole can shove his gold cart straight up his ass.

Why are the internals exposed? so the cart cvan be exposed to light damage and never work again? asshole.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Of course it's absurd. The people who deal in this stuff have no life.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

People can do what they want with their stuff, but yeah. This is like having a beautiful wife, but making her forever pose naked, leaning against the wall, and also slicing her in half so you can see her internal organs, as if that makes her somehow sexier..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It looks retarded. If you are fortunate enough to own a NWC gold cart why the fuck would you break it apart like that?
    I despise VGA as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Like I said in the other thread, it's like gutting a puppy to show your friends. Just dumb.

I also liked how it was done "for display" then flogged almost right away after everyone called him an idiot.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I also liked how it was done "for display" then flogged almost right away after everyone called him an idiot.
    Few people called him an idiot on Nintendo Age where he bragged about it, unless the tone of the thread changed since I've last read it. Most people thought it was awesome for some reason, probably because the case was shiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been a big fan of the whole grading thing but after seeing the amount that some graded games have sold for on eBay there's no denying that it increases a game's value to some people.

They say that a fool and his money is soon parted. I blame the buyers, not the sellers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Few people called him an idiot on Nintendo Age where he bragged about it, unless the tone of the thread changed since I've last read it. Most people thought it was awesome for some reason, probably because the case was shiny.
    Nintendo Age = hardcore VGA faboys. That's all they talk about over there it seems. I think the VGA was invented just for them.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Nothing better than exposing the EPROMS on a cart worth the price of a new car to naked sunlight. That'll work out great in the long run.

What interests me is whether that affects the value. Is a dead, gutted, and slabbed NWC cart worth the same amount as a whole, working one? And if so, why would anyone bother to pay that much for something that no longer fulfils its original function? Just because its rare?

These NA guys are nuts.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    This just seems absurd to me. You guys and gals have any feelings about it one way or another?
    Can't say I'm surprised to see it up on eBay. A lot of the VGA stuff seems to go there after the first person gets it graded to sell for lots of money.

I sort of get the VGA thing. I mean, I have also collected both cards and action figures for a long, long time and that sort of stuff is common in those worlds. Having said that, I don't like sealed collecting in video games, so... yeah. I also can't say I own one graded anything for my other collections, although I do have a bunch of brand new action figures -- the difference to me though is that they look better displayed in packaging (usually) than they do out of it, so...

If your deal is that you want to grade it to look at, then great -- grade it and look at it. It's your stuff. This is just weird though -- I don't know of anyone who likes to check out their cart's internals all the time. We'll see if the game sells or not, and we'll see if it was worth it, I guess.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    What interests me is whether that affects the value.
    According to the thread on NA, it won't affect the value. It's just something for display that won't ever be played anyway even if it wasn't sealed in a case.

I've mentioned in another thread on this that people into retro games pretty much collect for one of two reasons. Either for preservation or for display purposes. The NA guys mostly focus on display purposes, who has the nicest looking collection to show off to strangers or to stare at to stoke a personal ego at how great they are for being able to own something not everybody else does.

It's like when you hear about celebrities that buy a pet tiger because it would match the decor in their living room. You just think these guys are nuts and completely out of touch with reality.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Damn, I should have had my N64 test cartridge graded before I sold it recently. Might have doubled my money.

More power to the guy though. If someone is willing to pay that much for it, then I congratulate his wife on the many pair of shoes she will buy with the money. I personally would not have split the cart like that but it'll attract someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Limited VGA use for real historical preservation intent, fine. I can even understand the prices on some games from a rarity point of view.

Still for display/history purposes a non-graded comparable service is more sensible. Description and number adds money without changing the game's shape.
    Lum fan.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Nothing better than exposing the EPROMS on a cart worth the price of a new car to naked sunlight. That'll work out great in the long run.
    No bidders yet. Not surprising with a starting bid of 17 grand. That cart is worthless if the ROMs don't work. I'm happy enough just owning the Retrozone reproduction. Just curious, how many minutes of direct sunlight exposure does it take to erase an EPROM? I was under the assumption that a complete erasure required a 15-minute exposure underneath a germicidal UV-C lamp. UV-C is entirely blocked out by the Ozone layer, but small amounts of UV-B can penetrate it. I sincerely hope those display cases have UV protection, not only for the EPROMS but also for archiving box/label art. One could find out real quick by shining a black light through one and placing fluorescent material behind it.

In terms of ionization energy, not actual intensity...

heat > IR remote > candle < incandescent light bulb (visible) < fluorescent lighting (visible) < black light (harmless UV, but can fade some inks) < tanning lamp (suntan) < direct sunlight (sunburn) < germicidal UV lamp (kills stuff) < x-rays < gamma rays

I'm assuming that lesser energy radiation would need higher doses than higher-energy radiation to do equivalent damage. So could airport X-rays also damage EPROMs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    According to the thread on NA, it won't affect the value. It's just something for display that won't ever be played anyway even if it wasn't sealed in a case.

I've mentioned in another thread on this that people into retro games pretty much collect for one of two reasons. Either for preservation or for display purposes. The NA guys mostly focus on display purposes, who has the nicest looking collection to show off to strangers or to stare at to stoke a personal ego at how great they are for being able to own something not everybody else does.
    Don't judge all NA'ers. I've got tons more posts on NA than I do here, but I don't hoard games that I don't intend on playing. The practice of paying ridiculous quantities of money for factory sealed games that will never be opened particularly baffles me to no end. Same with insisting on having a complete set. Heck, I'll usually sell a game back to the store if I don't enjoy playing it; whether it's rare or not, it gives someone else a chance to enjoy it more than I do. Megaman series comes to mind as great games that for me have zero replay value. I had Megaman 1, 2, & 3 at one point, but I sold all three of them because they were all impossibly hard to play, even with a Game Genie.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-24-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    No bidders yet. Not surprising with a starting bid of 17 grand. That cart is worthless if the ROMs don't work. I'm happy enough just owning the Retrozone reproduction. Just curious, how many minutes of direct sunlight exposure does it take to erase an EPROM? I was under the assumption that a complete erasure required a 15-minute exposure underneath a germicidal UV-C lamp. UV-C is entirely blocked out by the Ozone layer, but small amounts of UV-B can penetrate it. I sincerely hope those display cases have UV protection, not only for the EPROMS but also for archiving box/label art. One could find out real quick by shining a black light through one and placing fluorescent material behind it.

In terms of ionization energy, not actual intensity...

heat > IR remote > candle < incandescent light bulb (visible) < fluorescent lighting (visible) < black light (harmless UV, but can fade some inks) < tanning lamp (suntan) < direct sunlight (sunburn) < germicidal UV lamp (kills stuff) < x-rays < gamma rays

I'm assuming that lesser energy radiation would need higher doses than higher-energy radiation to do equivalent damage. So could airport X-rays also damage EPROMs?

Don't judge all NA'ers. I've got tons more posts on NA than I do here, but I don't hoard games that I don't intend on playing. The practice of paying ridiculous quantities of money for factory sealed games that will never be opened particularly baffles me to no end. Same with insisting on having a complete set. Heck, I'll usually sell a game back to the store if I don't enjoy playing it; whether it's rare or not, it gives someone else a chance to enjoy it more than I do. Megaman series comes to mind as great games that for me have zero replay value. I had Megaman 1, 2, & 3 at one point, but I sold all three of them because they were all impossibly hard to play, even with a Game Genie.
    You don't need to entirely erase the EPROMS. Just enough to render the data unreadable. I'm sure that the slab itself blocks most UV light, but if the right bit reads one, not zero, because its been hanging out on a wall across from a east facing window for a year, your super rare cart no longer functions. And that's incredibly stupid.

This is very much like someone pulling the staples out of Action Comics #1 and framing each individual page. If you're not entirely into comics, its a cool novelty. If, on the other hand, you're into comics history, its a fucking crime.

I can even see slabbing a whole, un-disassembled NWC cart: its kind of preservation. What this asshole did isn't preservation. It's carefully shellacking a corpse, and proudly hanging it in your den. "Hey guys, check it out! I ruined a piece of gaming history so I could sell it for a little more money!"
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 04-24-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

If someone spends even the minimum bid of $27K, they are truly a moron. That $27K could buy a lot of other playable games and systems.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

It irks me that he's owned the cart for 10 years, but played it as recently as a few months ago, meaning that he dissected and slabbed it ONLY for the sake of making it unique and jacking up his asking price.

He could've easily sold this cart as-is and let the buyer do what they want with it. This was a stupid thing to do with such a rarity, and I hope it doesn't sell for anywhere near what he's asking for it.

The Action Comics #1 comparison above is dead-on.
    Last edited by jperryss; 04-24-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now, now, if any of you actually read the threads on NA, you'd know many of us thought it was a silly idea, myself included. It's just that the mods tend to come down with an iron fist to prevent arguments from spiraling out of control, which is actually a good thing. Constructive criticism is great, but jealous and spiteful comments are just childish. Grow up a bit.

I also thought exposing the EPROMs was tremendously stupid, but some experts have chimed in and mentioned only UV light should damage them. I don't know or really care, but it still seems silly to me.

However, one important thing for any NWC or prototype owner to consider is that all of these carts are ticking time bombs. Today we can argue about how much a non-working cart would devalue the item, but in the not too distant future, all of these carts will be non-working. Does that mean they are magically worth $0? I think not.

People haven't come to grips with reality yet, but these will still have value regardless of their working condition. Prototypes really scare me the most, because once that data is gone... does it still have any value? That's a much more interesting debate IMO.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    Damn, I should have had my N64 test cartridge graded before I sold it recently. Might have doubled my money.

More power to the guy though. If someone is willing to pay that much for it, then I congratulate his wife on the many pair of shoes she will buy with the money. I personally would not have split the cart like that but it'll attract someone.
    This is something that I'm curious about now that the VGA has started grading games that were never in retail packaging in the 1st place. A test/proto cart would be the next logical step in non-new grading.