Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis vs snes based on 6 games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say SNES wins because TMNT looks and plays closer to the arcade, and Contra 3 is more aliens less robots, and isn't as crazily difficult.

But Bloodlines over Castlevania 4 any day. The sprites are smaller but I find the the Genesis installment to have a lot more atmosphere, better bosses, levels, and gameplay.

Contra Hard Corps is a really fun game, but it's way too difficult. Even with 2players we never could get past the 2nd level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

SCV IV vs CVB
    I don't see it as a fair to compare since both titles go in a different direction.I like both so i don't see either one as being better.

Contra 3 vs Contra Hard Corps
    Contra 3 for me edges out hard corps by a little only becuase,hard corps was more of a boss fest with short levels.

SNES tmnt vs Genesis tmnt
    I only got to play hyperstone heist in it's day i so can't be the judge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Super Castlevania IV: 1991
    Castlevania Bloodlines: 1994
    Contra III: 1992
    Contra Hard Corps: 1994
    Turtles in Time: 1992
    Hyperstone Heist: 1992

Genesis owners got a treat in the mid-90s with Hard Corp and Bloodlines, but it's not fair to compare simply because the Genesis games came out later. If It's the start of 1993, what would I go for based on these selections? Obviously the SNES since even if Hyperstone Heist were the better game, until 1994 there was no Bloodlines or Hard Corps.

This.

SNES Contra & Castlevania came out at a time when we were all still being dazzled by the SNES Mode-7 graphics. Put it this way, when these games came out we were still only dreaming about SNES Street Fighter 2.

When Genesis Contra & Castlevania came out, it was years later already.. and the Genesis had really started getting maximized by developers, and the results were obvious.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis owners got a treat in the mid-90s with Hard Corp and Bloodlines, but it's not fair to compare simply because the Genesis games came out later. If It's the start of 1993, what would I go for based on these selections? Obviously the SNES since even if Hyperstone Heist were the better game, until 1994 there was no Bloodlines or Hard Corps.
    The gap of years between the SNES/Genesis Contra & Castlevania releases does affect the validity of this comparison a tad, but I don't feel it's too much of a stretch. In '94, I had no problem picking favourites. I was tired of SCIV and Turtles in Time, loved Contra regardless of platform and wanted a Genesis bad for its cool exclusives. All things considered in the modern day, though, I like all of these games, and it's mainly nostalgia that would have me hoisting one above the other.

The only clear win from these matchups, in my opinion, is Turtles In Time over Hyperstone Heist. Hyperstone Heist is fun in its own right, the gameplay is as tight and satisfying as Turtles In Time, but I find it to be something of a lazy & dull jumble. There's little cohesion to the game, stages are all over the place with little explanation (TiT at least had time travel to account for its variety), and stage 4, The Gauntlet, is one of the worst offenders of recycled crap I've ever endured. A mid-game boss rush taking place in a thoroughly drab blue cave? That's a mighty poor effort.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    The gap of years between the SNES/Genesis Contra & Castlevania releases does affect the validity of this comparison a tad, but I don't feel it's too much of a stretch. In '94, I had no problem picking favourites. I was tired of SCIV and Turtles in Time, loved Contra regardless of platform and wanted a Genesis bad for its cool exclusives. All things considered in the modern day, though, I like all of these games, and it's mainly nostalgia that would have me hoisting one above the other.

The only clear win from these matchups, in my opinion, is Turtles In Time over Hyperstone Heist. Hyperstone Heist is fun in its own right, the gameplay is as tight and satisfying as Turtles In Time, but I find it to be something of a lazy & dull jumble. There's little cohesion to the game, stages are all over the place with little explanation (TiT at least had time travel to account for its variety), and stage 4, The Gauntlet, is one of the worst offenders of recycled crap I've ever endured. A mid-game boss rush taking place in a thoroughly drab blue cave? That's a mighty poor effort.
    My point is that you should go by years, not titles. In 1994, it was Mega Man X, Demon's Crest, Donkey Kong Country, v. Sonic 3, Bloodlines, and Hard Corps, with Mortal Kombat II appearing on both systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My point is that you should go by years, not titles. In 1994, it was Mega Man X, Demon's Crest, Donkey Kong Country, v. Sonic 3, Bloodlines, and Hard Corps, with Mortal Kombat II appearing on both systems.
    The creator of the thread can go by whatever he wants to.

If you're gonna go by year, I'd think we'd be going by more than just six titles. Incidentally, both systems had a very good year in 1994.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I don't really get the "you can't compare because of age gap" argument. It's not like they're wildly different just because the Genesis ones are more recent. CVIV and Bloodlines both play like Castlevania games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thing is those games are nothing alike. The point was to pick games that were both similar and different. That's why I didn't pick mk2 , earthworm Jim and sf2 even though they all came out on both systems.

As for the release date difference if it makes ya happy the genny was released first so it evens out! Lol
    Last edited by hellraiser; 05-10-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis does what Nintendon't